Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dragon Fruits
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/14/2011 06:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/14/2011 06:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Sawatdee

Joined Forum: 03/20/2005

Picked three of my dragon fruits in the front yard and invited a couple of friends over to try them. The two small ones in front were seedlings that I grew from seeds six years ago, red inside and sweet. Delight was the one in the back and it's pink inside, tasted semi-sweet.

Then my friend brought 3 more from his yard. David Bowie was white inside, Natural Mystic was red and the last one was an unknown variety but had a deep dark red inside. They all tasted excellent, unlike the store-bought ones which tasted bland.

Here are the left over that I cut up and put in the refrigerator to enjoy later.

Edited: 08/14/2011 at 06:20 PM by Sawatdee
 08/16/2011 04:18 PM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

These are beautiful!!!! Lek, when I plant mine, should I plant it in amended soil? Any other tips would be great. I will also read up on them, but you've obviously got some valuable and fruitful experience! WOW, so deep red!

-------------------------

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 08/16/2011 09:18 PM

Sawatdee

Thanks, Dustin!!!

Garden potting soil is good. I bury my pot in the ground and let it climb on a small tree or you can make a trellis for it. Come over to get some cuttings, they may produce fruit for you this year or at the latest next year.

I had two flowers blooming tonight and went out to hand pollinate them to hopefully get fruits!!!

08/16/2011 09:34 PM

Sawatdee

08/17/2011 08:44 AM

luvnsurf

Joined Forum: 09/01/2010

Oh my!  The dragon fruit flower is so pretty!  We have a cutting but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.  I hope ours eventually takes.  If you take a cutting and leave it out, shouldn't it grow roots?  Or should I just try to root hormone it and put it in a pot.  We took the cutting months ago, at least two.

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.  A universal paradox.

Your life is made of two dates and a dash, make the most of the dash.

08/17/2011 05:47 PM

thebuder

Joined Forum: 05/19/2010

luvnsurf, I would stick them in soil. They can grow roots when not in soil, but there isn't a reason to leave them out.

A couple of months ago i traded for some random dragonfruit cuttings.  I put them in soil immediatly and for a long time it looked like nothing was happening(at least 2-3 months).  Then some nubs started coming out and they have been growing like a crazy ever since.

I think I had 5, only 1 didn't take.  

08/17/2011 08:19 PM

Sawatdee

Originally posted by: luvnsurf

Oh my!? The dragon fruit flower is so pretty!? We have a cutting but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.? I hope ours eventually takes.? If you take a cutting and leave it out, shouldn't it grow roots?? Or should I just try to root hormone it and put it in a pot.? We took the cutting months ago, at least two.

luvnsurf, thebuder just answered your questions!!!

Here's another informative web site of Edgar Valdivia, member of California Rare Fruit Growers who gave a video presentation in 2010....it's pretty interesting.

Edgar Valdivia Pitahaya Presentation .....2010

08/19/2011 03:36 PM

Dangermouse01

Joined Forum: 01/24/2011

I got some Dragon fruit cuttings from a co-worker (unknown cultiver, white flesh fruit) a couple of months back (I am thinking before June). Took 3 of them, dipped the end in root starter and stuck in pots with catus medium and stuck them out on the back deck. They are between 9-16 inches and so far cant tell if anything is happening, but they dont look like they are dying or rotting. And according to thebuder it might take awhile.

Had four other cuttings that I didn't plan to use, so I just left them on a table on the back porch near the orchids. When it rains they get wet (alot lately), also watered them when ever I was watering the orchids. And all four have went and put out roots. They are between 6-8 inches.

Anybody want them? PM me, I dont plan to keep them.

Been trying to find info on trellis structure for the ones I have in the pots. I know in down South in Florida city, on SW 192nd Ave (heading towards Everglades National Park), there is some fruit grove that has some growing on trellises near the road. Going to be down that way again in a couple of weeks, planning to stop and see if I can get some pictures of their trellises. Saw Saatdee's other post about the BRFC newsletter, and the speaker at the next meeting a expert on the Dragon fruits. Planning on being there to hear what he says.

DM

Edited: 08/19/2011 at 04:05 PM by Dangermouse01
 08/25/2011 07:39 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

Last night's BRFC was all about it! I got two cuttings - Physical Graffiti and Yellow.

BTW, DM, I would take a couple of those off your hands. I have a lot of fence that I'd like to deter squirrels from using to get to my other fruit. Check ur PM's

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 08/25/2011 07:29 PM

Sawatdee

Hey, Karma, good seeing you last night!!! I don't think growing Dragon Fruit would deter the squirrels, but let me know if it works.

I, too, got three cuttings, Dark Star, Purple Haze and Physical Graffiti, they're all red flesh and I think they taste a lot better than the white ones!!!
 08/26/2011 12:33 PM

Dangermouse01

Joined Forum: 01/24/2011

The girlfriend and I were at the BRFC meeting the other night, our first meeting and yes we joined. I was impressed at the how many people show for a meeting. I asked the guy sitting next to me if that was normal, and he said that it pretty much was.

I picked up a Purple Haze, Haley's Comet, Dark Star and a Vietnamese Jaina (white flesh), the GF picked the Physical Graffiti and the Yellow. Will have to wait and see where her's actually get planted. I have a suspicion that her's will be planted at my place. Tho after seeing the pictures from the presentaion of what they can look like on a trellis, she may go ahead and put one or both in her yard.

On the tasting table, there were two different varieties of the white (cant remember the names). I thought one had more flavor than the other, hoping it was a Jaina.

I was looking at all the cuttings and stuff while waiting for the tasting table line to shorten. And got to talk to the guy giving the DF presention (Matt Snow), nice guy, picked his brain a little.

DM

08/28/2011 01:46 PM

Sawatdee

After reading this, I would only buy the red flesh Dragon Fruits from now on.

White Flesh/Pink Skin
Dragon fruit that has white flesh and pink skin or rind is the most common variety of the fruit. This type is called Hylocereus Undatus, and its flesh is not as sweet as dragon fruit with red or pink flesh. This variety may be sold under the name Alice, Cosmic Charlie, David Bowe, Guyute, Harpua, L.A. Woman, Neitzel, Seoul Kitchen, Thompson and Vietnamese Jaina.

Red or Pink Flesh/Pink Skin
Dragon fruit that has a pink skin or rind and flesh that is colored rather than white, is called Hylocereus Polyrhizus. This variety of dragon fruit is sweeter in taste than the white flesh variety and often larger in size. This variety may be sold under the name Bloody Mary, Red Jania, Voodoo Child and Zamorano.

White Flesh/Yellow Skin
The yellow skin/white flesh variety of dragon fruit tends to be both the smallest and the sweetest variety. This variety is called Selenicereus megalanthus,and is grown primarily in South America. It's not produced on the mass scale that other varieties are. This is sold only as yellow dragon fruit.
 09/15/2011 08:38 AM

luvnsurf

Joined Forum: 09/01/2010

Originally posted by: Sawatdee
Originally posted by: luvnsurf Oh my!? The dragon fruit flower is so pretty!? We have a cutting but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.? I hope ours eventually takes.? If you take a cutting and leave it out, shouldn't it grow roots?? Or should I just try to root hormone it and put it in a pot.? We took the cutting months ago, at least two.

luvnsurf, thebuder just answered your questions!!! Here's another informative web site of Edgar Valdivia, member of California Rare Fruit Growers who gave a video presentation in 2010....it's pretty interesting. Edgar Valdivia Pitahaya Presentation .....2010

Thanks all.  Mine just sprouted, right after I told the better half that we should stick it in the ground.  I cannot wait to see the bloom and eat the fruit!

You are free to choose but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.  A universal paradox.

Your life is made of two dates and a dash, make the most of the dash.

Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .