Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Any tips for CFL thanksgiving weekend?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/20/2017 07:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/20/2017 07:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Good morning,

I am heading down to the 321 Thursday and would like to do a little fishing, limited to shoreline or a 13' gheenoe.

Anyone have any tips on what to target, are mullet still in the surf?

Was thinking of trying the surf, or the inlet since the banana river seems to still be in the shitter(or shitter in the river!?)

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 11/20/2017 03:58 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Historically I've never done great this time of year inshore unless i'm in the Mosquito Lagoon or fishing the jetties at the inlet. I've been trying mangrove areas near the inlet ramp since weather has not been great when I went out, lots of rats and juvie trout/snook. But I was just using shrimp and lures. Oh, lots of big bonnetheads too.
 11/20/2017 05:25 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

yesterday at dawn by the indi BW in 45 minutes I caught two decent sized whiting, a couple of keeper juvie blues, a jack and one small pomp.  Still lots of fish in the water.  That was just on the handfulls of fleas I could scoop from the shoreline.  I did watch some mackerel jump just out beyond the break.  All this was done at a time I normally don't fish, that being offshore winds.

11/20/2017 08:55 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I might hit Inlet on Friday to look for some flatties.

We were at Capt Hiram's on Saturday and the water was caca, but who knows at inlet. If it stays rough, the tarpon might make a day appearance.

I was right.
 11/21/2017 06:16 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Use a rubber ball rig to get to the spannies.

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 11/21/2017 06:19 AM

stokedpanda

Originally posted by: Cole

I might hit Inlet on Friday to look for some flatties.

We were at Capt Hiram's on Saturday and the water was caca, but who knows at inlet. If it stays rough, the tarpon might make a day appearance.

Think the snook bite has slowed down at the inlet?

Trying to make the call to:

A.) Head to the inlet(then decide to use lures or net bait in the tide pool, historically I don't catch anything but the bottom at the inlet but I know they are there)

B.) Take the gheenoe to crane or turkey creek and drag mullet around the bridges and docks

C.) wonder around the port marinas with some big live shrimp fishing the floating docks.

Trying to get my snook fix lol don't even need a keeper just love the thumps and jumps!

11/21/2017 06:20 AM

stokedpanda

Originally posted by: pompano

yesterday at dawn by the indi BW in 45 minutes I caught two decent sized whiting, a couple of keeper juvie blues, a jack and one small pomp.  Still lots of fish in the water.  That was just on the handfulls of fleas I could scoop from the shoreline.  I did watch some mackerel jump just out beyond the break.  All this was done at a time I normally don't fish, that being offshore winds.

Nice did you see any mullet?

Pompano have been running well up in jax and st aug riding that 68-72* water so should be showing soon!

11/21/2017 08:41 AM

Cole

There is always something to catch at inlet, unless the water is nasty...that's the game changer.

I was right.
 11/21/2017 06:53 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

I watched packs of pompano scurry beneath me when I was catching wave after wave after wave on Saturday.  That is what made me decide to go fish Sunday at dawn.  I'll be intermingling fishing and surfing between here and Daytona from Wed-Sat. I'll try to report back on what happens if it is worthwhile.

I didn't see much in the way of mullets.

11/27/2017 06:11 AM

stokedpanda

Originally posted by: pompano

I watched packs of pompano scurry beneath me when I was catching wave after wave after wave on Saturday.  That is what made me decide to go fish Sunday at dawn.  I'll be intermingling fishing and surfing between here and Daytona from Wed-Sat. I'll try to report back on what happens if it is worthwhile.

I didn't see much in the way of mullets.

Caught a bunch of little pomps in the cast net along with the occasional "zombie" mullet- these things were so beat up I didnt even want to use them as bait!

Also, fished the banana river along the merrit island side(along south trop trail) and struck out, not much action to be seen and the water was pretty dirty.

11/27/2017 06:54 AM

Cole

I notice the water over there had a strange brown glow. Let's hope it doesn't get out of hand like the last big fish kill.

I was right.
 11/28/2017 08:35 AM

stokedpanda

Originally posted by: Cole

I notice the water over there had a strange brown glow. Let's hope it doesn't get out of hand like the last big fish kill.

Yea, there was some clarity in the cocoa beach canals off fourth street, tons of finger mullet, but the barnacle and piling growth is not really existent.

Just some bright green hair like algae.

Man I miss the good old days of chasing schools of baby tarpon through those canals, trout on every cast(albeit small) with any sort of lure, and the big reds that would spawn behind my parents house.....

Also we used to compare the flats off south tropical trail Pineda to MI airport to Biscayne bay in terms of water clarity and lush turtle and shoal grass(or widgeon?)

11/30/2017 08:37 PM

Cole

Lee had a personal relationship with the mega Reds on that side of the river. Let's hope it comes back.

I was right.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .