Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The truth about the wildfires
Topic Summary: If you care to know
Created On: 11/19/2018 04:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/19/2018 04:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

http://fivethirtyeight.com/fea...tructive-in-5-charts/

Why California's Wildfires Are So Destructive, In 5 Charts

-------------------------
I was right.
 11/19/2018 05:09 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

I don't see anything on their list about 'raking the forest floor'. Obviously they overlooked that one....

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 11/19/2018 05:13 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

I'm sure it's related to the Dead lyrics... California, preaching on the burning shore California, I'll be knocking on the golden door Like an angel, standing in a shaft of light Rising up to paradise, I know I'm gonna shine.

Edited: 11/19/2018 at 05:14 AM by StirfryMcflurry
 11/19/2018 07:07 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Seemed like a reasonable explanation. Nonetheless, I choose to believe that it is God replaying the Sodom and Gomorrah scenario. Certainly that premise has more validity than those being pushed by progs on a daily basis. Hell, those guys actually believe that Trump colluded with Russians to steal the election from Clinton. And, get this, they believe medicare for all would be great!

I :heart; Q
 11/19/2018 07:21 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Well hate to break it to you, but there's no god, trump did collude with the russians via Roger Stone and Julian Assange, and Medicare for All would bring the USA into the 21st Century like all other developed countries.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 11/19/2018 08:32 AM

goynleft

Joined Forum: 01/12/2010

You liberal pukes can't handle the truth. > About forest fires in California. (Copied Post) > > "Why the increase in explosive wild fires? > > The summer of 2003, while serving as a Boy Scout forestry merit badge counselor, I took three of our scouts to a National Forest Ranger Station in Northern California to interview a forest ranger. We were ushered into a high-ranking ranger office where all four walls were covered with book shelves filled with thick binders floor to ceiling. The ranger sadly explained that he spent three quarters of his time dealing with injunctions that environmentalist groups have filed against logging companies to keep them from going into the forest to harvest dead trees. Pointing to his walls, the ranger quipped that the binders were filled with all the injunctions. > > The ranger detailed for the scouts that the environmentalists tie up the logging companies in court for so long that eventually the trees become full of beetles and no longer profitable to harvest and then the injunction is dropped. He said it will now cost billions of dollars to clean up the forests, whereas, if the loggers were allowed in, they could clean up the forests and generate a revenue stream for State and National forests. > > The ranger, while shaking his head, indicated that the environmentalists have been doing this for years and are hurting the forests as it has caused an extraordinary number of dead trees in the forests. He explained that this not only provides more tinder for catastrophic crown fires (vs. healthy and regularly occurring creeping fires which clean out the forest floor), but also attracts bark beetles which causes the trees to die. The ranger further explained that because of environmentalists not allowing for controlled burns in populated areas and fire suppression in wilderness areas that a disastrous situation has been created in the forests. > > He glumly predicted that when, not if, a major fire gets out of control in the Tahoe basin, that it will be explosive with fast moving fires with large loss of life since there are only three major ways in and out of Lake Tahoe area. > > Bottom line, the devastation we are seeing in CA right now is man-made...by the leadership of your environmentalist groups and their fellow traveler friends in government...NOT the myth of global warming." > > Controlled small forest fires actually PREVENT such widespread forest fires. Many countries do it. In California they do not. > > The LA Times published an article this past September that admitted this was the cause of their fires.
 11/19/2018 08:33 AM

goynleft

I'm sure Cole is also an expert in forest fires too. Can't wait to hear about it.
 11/19/2018 08:51 AM

Greensleeves

groanleft hangs his pointy hat on a fable
 11/19/2018 10:38 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

1. Logging does not prevent fires unless the logging is done specifically for fuel reduction. Most of the worst fires in US history and in the rest of the world follow huge clear cut logging because they take all the good wood and leave a fuck ton of slash on the ground the mixes with all the early scrub growth that colonizes the cut. Yeah we should burn fire dependent ecosystems on a natural cycle. Any environ.entalist or forester will tell you that. We have known this for decades. It is not environmentalists blocking prescribed burns in the burbs. It is the nimbys living there the do not want the smoke. You do a prescribed burn and ash falls on Joe politician's car at his McMansion and next thing tou know you are fired.

11/19/2018 10:50 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Can you point us to these other countries that are using prescribed fire to mimic natural cycles and prevent catastrophic fire? I would like to read their burn plans and logs. Curious to see if they are burning chaparal and grasslands and such on a natural short cycle and how they pull off a less than 5-year return interval in populated areas. We have some central Florida habitats that need to burn on a 3 to 5 year rotation but the funding isnt there and political constraints are hinderance. Too many stakeholders getting a say and nature takes a back seat.

11/19/2018 10:57 AM

RustyTruck

What role did the power company PGE play in these fires?

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

11/19/2018 02:31 PM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

Looks like GoinLeftist had a sleepover at Crankky's last night- he's apparently posting from his Text-Block-O-Matic 3000 LOL

Edited: 11/19/2018 at 02:32 PM by fishkller
 11/19/2018 03:44 PM

goynleft

Honestly, I don't think you 6 clowns on here could be any dumber. TDS has you crossed up.
 11/19/2018 04:28 PM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

Eastern Madera County Conservatives copied this "boy scout treatise on forest management" from another site.

It's a wonderful facebook page, complete with Governor Moonbeam posts, the usual Hillary stuff and snowflake liberal memes among others.

Of course it's Jerry Brown and the environmentalists fault.

Great find goynleft!

Edited: 11/19/2018 at 04:29 PM by theglide
 11/19/2018 05:07 PM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

Originally posted by: goynleft

Honestly, I don't think you 6 clowns on here could be any dumber. TDS has you crossed up.

^^^^ Hey look its a 2nd rate Fish Killer and a poor man's Tpapski all rolled into one :-)

11/19/2018 05:31 PM

Cole

Well, I do know that the federal government owns 45 million acres of land and other privately owned land isn't considered for controlled burns. I also know that if you attempt to do controlled burns in a period of drought, you simply cause forest fires.

Does that make you happy goinoverthefalls?

I was right.

Edited: 11/19/2018 at 05:31 PM by Cole
 11/19/2018 05:44 PM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

A few years back, I remember a controlled burn in Jupiter on the west side of US1 on a windy day.

The fire jumped US1 and was burning on the east side.

11/19/2018 05:58 PM

RustyTruck

Groinleft is cranky. Fake account.

11/20/2018 06:47 AM

goynleft

Looks here, 3 hook ups! Fish on! Snowflakes are running. Clowns
 11/20/2018 07:01 AM

johnnyboy

It appears that you literally don't know your right from left, or right from wrong for that matter. Thanks for playing.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .