Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Here we go again
Topic Summary: Activer shooter TX school
Created On: 05/18/2018 06:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/21/2018 05:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Stoked ---- good call on pointing out the cameras. They are so cheap now that I incorrectly assume schools would have them already and that it would be a bigger priority budget-wise over other things, like new gym equipment for the football team, heh. Bit of a joke, but point was made.....
 05/21/2018 05:25 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Top it off we all know there will never be the billions of dollars spent by government in schools like there is in airports. They can't get pencils for crying out loud. You guys are expecting security cameras, right. Two things going against these measures. One, money. Two, not proven to provide personal safety in this kind of environment. Best bet, regulate guns better, a lot more like the DMV for starters.
 05/21/2018 07:43 AM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

US children of high school age are 82 times more likely to die from a gun homicide than the rest of the developed world.

Probably because too many doors
 05/21/2018 07:50 AM

miker

Too many doors and because teachers don't get paid enough. If we only paid them fairly, there would be less students going crazy. Heh, sooo many dingbats out there.

It's like the people I mentioned earlier that refuse to pay for increasing security at schools but seem to conveniently forget that regulating the hell out of firearms will be every bit as expensive, but won't have any immediate impact. The truth is, we need better gun regulations AND better school security.
 05/21/2018 08:12 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

All of the above. More security, more emphasis on mental health, Review, revise gun access.

I heard a former Sec of Education propose today, that there be a nation wide boycott of all schools until politicians take action.

America is sick.

-------------------------
So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 05/21/2018 09:17 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

How about holding the effing parents accountable? Your kid shoots up a school, bully's a kid, is guilty of general douchebaggery.......find the effing parents and lock them up.

I'm sick and tired of people breeding like cockroaches and my tax dollars being wasted having to fix their fuckups.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 05/21/2018 09:42 AM

miker

Yeah but what about during the time they are at school and what they learn there? Going to hold teachers accountable too?
 05/21/2018 09:44 AM

426Blue

Joined Forum: 11/18/2007

So much empirical evidence explaining the spike in school shootings within the US, and beyond, yet for the most part it's being ignored.  In the past, when school shootings were rare, there was nowhere near the gun culture in the US, compared to what currently exists.

In the past 10 -20 years, the right and NRA have done a bang up job of promoting a culture of fear, a perception that firearms will protect you or make you whole, an inaccurate narrative that regulating guns is somehow an infringemnt on constitutional rights, and the false narrative that any regulation of guns equates to "taking away my guns" and is "unamerican."  What a load of BS.  I would bet that ten years ago, most of the current paranoid opponents to gun regs., could not have even identified what provision in the constitution granted a well regulated militia the right to bear arms.  NEWS FLASH - there hasn't been any type of militia for a long time.  

Bullying, poor mental health, too many doors in schools...that's nothing new.  Slow down the gun culture, and the school shootings will subside -akin to a level of the 60s-90s.

05/21/2018 09:47 AM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 05/21/2018 10:12 AM

HAPDigital

Dingbat behavior is saying something will work when it has proven not to.
 05/21/2018 10:16 AM

miker

Originally posted by: 426Blue
In the past, when school shootings were rare, there was nowhere near the gun culture in the US, compared to what currently exists.

Perhaps, but just as many homes had guns in them.

Percentage of households with firearms:

1975 - 44%
1980 - 45%
1985 - 44%
1990 - 47%
1996 - 44% (couldn't find 1995)
2000 - 39%
2005 - 40%
2010 - 39%

Then more recently....

2015 - 41%
2016 - 39%
2017 - 42%

Oddly ...1990, the year with the highest percentage of households with guns had zero school shootings in context of the issue we are worried about. For full disclosure, that year did have 2 gang related shootings on school property with zero deaths.

Edit: Also ...2015-2018 had more school shooting in context of the issue we are concerned about than the entire 70's combined, despite there being a high percentage of guns in households in the 70's.

Edited: 05/21/2018 at 10:23 AM by miker
 05/21/2018 10:23 AM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

Originally posted by: HAPDigital

Dingbat behavior is saying something WON'T work when it has been proven to work.

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 05/21/2018 10:31 AM

miker

Originally posted by: Fish Killer

Originally posted by: HAPDigital

Dingbat behavior is saying something WON'T work when it has been proven to work.

Well that is the thing, I agree with the libs that we need better gun laws though I don't agree with some of the extreme measures because they are not practical in *this* country and are simply pie in the sky nonsense that will never happen.

What gets me is that they would rather watch children die while they wait decades for gun laws to have impact and for guns currently in circulation to decline in numbers. God forbid something gets done that will have immediate impact while playing the long game. The sad thing, the same ones crying about tax dollars spent on schools to accomplish this are the exact same people willing to spend an ass load of tax dollars for guns licensing, registering, training, and enforcing those regulations. It is pure madness.

I mean seriously, do they make you give up your D voter registration card if you ignore party line for sensible solutions?
 05/21/2018 10:32 AM

wtf

Joined Forum: 11/23/2005

#FakeNews once again from FK. #PROPAGANDA

QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 05/21/2018 10:43 AM

HAPDigital

Where's this money coming from for your TSA style lock down of schools? Talk about delusional pie in the sky nonsense. They can't get money for pencils. Gun regulations won't cost schools a dime, nor tax payers. More fabricated BS.
 05/21/2018 10:49 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

So much empirical evidence explaining the spike in school shootings within the US, and beyond, yet for the most part it's being ignored.  In the past, when school shootings were rare, there was nowhere near the gun culture in the US, compared to what currently exists.

In the past 10 -20 years, the right and NRA have done a bang up job of promoting a culture of fear, a perception that firearms will protect you or make you whole, an inaccurate narrative that regulating guns is somehow an infringemnt on constitutional rights, and the false narrative that any regulation of guns equates to "taking away my guns" and is "unamerican."  What a load of BS.  I would bet that ten years ago, most of the current paranoid opponents to gun regs., could not have even identified what provision in the constitution granted a well regulated militia the right to bear arms.  NEWS FLASH - there hasn't been any type of militia for a long time.  

Bullying, poor mental health, too many doors in schools...that's nothing new.  Slow down the gun culture, and the school shootings will subside -akin to a level of the 60s-90s.

On point

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 05/21/2018 12:54 PM

426Blue

Joined Forum: 11/18/2007

Miker - you missed my point. 

I don't doubt your statistics, or even that the rate of gun ownership may have declined over time.  My point is that a well organized group, having political motives, have engaged in a marketing agenda appealing to large swaths of the population, promoting a "gun culture" in this country that did not exist in the past.  Until recently, I never recall: people openly disclosing all the guns they own; bragging about their concealed weapons permits; rushing to gun dealers the second someone in power mentions a reasonable regulation; seeing firing ranges in every community; sporting clothes or bumper stickers promoting guns, or warning what they'll do to someone that crosses them; seeing constant new roadside billboards for gun shows; suddenly finding a new love and appreciation for the constitution & second amendment; bragging about how "american" they are, since they support their supposed constituional right to bear arms.

The more prevalent the gun culture, and acceptance of firearms as the "norm", the higher chance that school shootings will continue and even increase.               

05/21/2018 01:24 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I don't doubt your statistics, or even that the rate of gun ownership may have declined over time.  My point is that a well organized group, having political motives, have engaged in a marketing agenda appealing to large swaths of the population, promoting a "gun culture" in this country that did not exist in the past.  Until recently, I never recall: people openly disclosing all the guns they own; bragging about their concealed weapons permits; rushing to gun dealers the second someone in power mentions a reasonable regulation; seeing firing ranges in every community; sporting clothes or bumper stickers promoting guns, or warning what they'll do to someone that crosses them; seeing constant new roadside billboards for gun shows; suddenly finding a new love and appreciation for the constitution & second amendment; bragging about how "american" they are, since they support their supposed constituional right to bear arms.

The more prevalent the gun culture, and acceptance of firearms as the "norm", the higher chance that school shootings will continue and even increase.               

I have noticed that too, with and increased vulcanization against those who choose not to participate.

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 05/21/2018 01:34 PM

HAPDigital

Originally posted by: 426Blue Miker - you missed my point. 

Well said.
 05/21/2018 03:41 PM

miker

No I got your point and agree with it mostly. My post supported your point. Funny I remember some of the rednecks with gun racks complete with shotgun and perhaps hunting rifle in their trucks in the school parking lot and nobody batted an eye. Nobody was worried they would shoot the place up.

I dont think the issue is strictly gun culture though. Not going to repost what I posted, you can read that for yourself if you haven't already and so choose to.
FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Here we go again

<< 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .