Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Arming Teachers?
Topic Summary: What's the plus?
Created On: 02/22/2018 12:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/22/2018 12:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

That means more gun sales.

But it will also add to the carnage. I read somewhere that the pigs, er, police hit their target only 18% of the time. So I looked it up to make sure I'm not Fish Killing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12...kinreview/09baker.html
 02/22/2018 12:49 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I think people underestimate the difficulty of hitting even a stationary target using a handgun under stress.

-------------------------
Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 02/22/2018 12:59 PM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Originally posted by: SlimyBritches

That means more gun sales.

But it will also add to the carnage. I read somewhere that the pigs, er, police hit their target only 18% of the time. So I looked it up to make sure I'm not Fish Killing.

Really dude? Calling police officers pigs?

02/22/2018 01:11 PM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

It's a stupid proposal.  Most teachers would not want anything to do with weapons.

02/22/2018 01:16 PM

miker

Ignoring the pig nonsense for a moment.....

Trained police officers will put more rounds into ceiling tiles in a shoot out than they will in a target when getting shot at unless they are a vet that has seen actual combat action and has been in the situation before. Even well trained members of our armed forces in MOUT/CQC are only going to be a little better off without actual live experience. It definitely is not like the movies or TV.

With that said, you need to consider the situation that would occur in an active shooter situation within a school. Say you are a teacher in the middle of class and you hear shots ring out in the hallway outside followed by cries of pain and a few more shots of semi-automatic fire. You hear the shooter enter the classroom next to you and start lighting the place up. Your students panic, some run, some hide under desks or put obstructions between themselves in the doorway. More often than not in these situations the teacher generally puts themselves between the door and their students to protect them in some fashion. With that said, I highly doubt that an armed and trained teacher is going to be shooting through any students to begin with. Even more true if schools engage in active shooter drills where they know how to handle the situation to work with armed teachers. (flip over your desks and hide / everyone to the back of the class / get behind the bookcase / whatever you get my point) With that said, a teacher is more likely going to have completely clear line of fire towards the entryway and will be waiting in "ambush" against an assailant who is probably no more accurate than they are, or even less so if lacking real training.

So yeah, it would give teachers a fighting chance to protect themselves and their students with minimal increased risk to the students themselves.

Of course, we then have to deal with the potential for an armed teach to go nuts and shoot up his/her own classroom. However, they can do that now if they chose to, it is not like anyone or anything is stopping them ......

Lastly, you have to look at deterrence. Schools are getting shot up now because they are EASY targets. If the target is no longer easy, will they choose somewhere else? Like a crowded concert from range? etc.
 02/22/2018 01:17 PM

miker

Originally posted by: Greensleeves

It's a stupid proposal.  Most teachers would not want anything to do with weapons.

Well there is that.
 02/22/2018 01:18 PM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

BULLSHIT!

http://www.westernjournal.com/...2-19&utm_campaign=ttp

http://wfla.com/2018/02/22/wat...n-of-sentinel-program/

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 02/22/2018 01:22 PM

Fish Killer

Mike...you forgot one other thing.

It takes on the average over 10 minutes for police to respond to an active shooter situation.

It, on the average, takes less than 6 minutes for an active shooter to do his complete murder spree.

No Gun Zones are bad bad news for anyone without a gun!

^These are PROVED facts.
 02/22/2018 01:31 PM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Yep, A really stupid idea for many reasons.

However lets just think this through a little bit.

My carry gun is a Sig 938. 9mm. Its small and compact , great for front pocket carry.

I drop 30 or so rounds at the range once a week. +/-. I'm familiar and comfortable with the gun. With no stress, and stationary I'm center mass close to 90%.

Of all the mass shooting of note, I would be so fucking out gunned. If the shooter had any body amour I would have to be 30 feet or less from him to attempt a head shot.
I don't like my chances. I have owned guns since I was 16 years old. BB gun since 8 or 9. I have never been in an active shooter situation or combat.

How many teachers are current gun owners? Maybe 20% of all teachers in the US are gun owners? How many have any experience that would prepare them for an active shooter in their school? Avery small percentage.

Teachers have as much experience to qualify as a combat shooter as the fuher does to be President.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 02/22/2018 01:39 PM

miker

Would you rather be out gunned with a chance or unarmed with no chance? Ask yourself that.

As for the rest of your post, obviously teachers and students alike would need training for something like this to work.
 02/22/2018 01:45 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

it will make things more interesting when PTSD kicks in? 

02/22/2018 01:45 PM

Greensleeves

Teachers

02/22/2018 01:52 PM

miker

What are you saying there Greenie? That teachers are mostly women and women are too weak to defend themselves and handle a firearm?

I don't buy that for a second.
 02/22/2018 01:58 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

An exhausting, often thankless job that pays a pittance.

..and now being a soldier just gets tacked on to the job description?

Sounds like an Orangutan came up with that idea. Oh wait..

When America was "great"
 02/22/2018 01:58 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: miker What are you saying there Greenie? That teachers are mostly women and women are too weak to defend themselves and handle a firearm? .

greeny didn't say that . YOU did.

and you call everyone else stupid. how ya feel now, bigman?

02/22/2018 02:02 PM

miker

Originally posted by: StirfryMcflurry

greeny didn't say that . YOU did.

and you call everyone else stupid. how ya feel now, bigman?[IMG][/IMG]

WRONG stirrymcfuckface. Learn the difference between a question and a statement.

0/5 DO better
 02/22/2018 02:29 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

It is a horrible idea for a lot of reasons.

Reaching at straws they are.  If we need armed presence on schools it should be a trained security force.  Not teachers.  But, of course real trained forces will cost mucho money which will never be funded.  

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 02/22/2018 02:45 PM

Fish Killer

Originally posted by: Bamboo

It is a horrible idea for a lot of reasons.

Reaching at straws they are.  If we need armed presence on schools it should be a trained security force.  Not teachers.  But, of course real trained forces will cost mucho money which will never be funded.  

How many retired Veterans would do it for FREE or for little money?

You're an idiot!

^These are PROVED facts.
 02/22/2018 02:55 PM

Greensleeves

I'm just saying that I've known lots of teachers and they would have no interest in doing that.  They are there to teach kids. 

Hey is George Zimmerman available?

02/22/2018 03:02 PM

Fish Killer

I'm just saying that I've known lots of teachers and they would have no interest in doing that.  They are there to teach kids. 

Hey is George Zimmerman available?

Go up and READ the two articles that I linked...above^^^^^^

You are really wrong!

Way wrong!

The articles prove it.

Here's another concept:

Before you pu-pu a perfectly good answer to this SERIOUS problem why not try it first to see if it actually works.

What a novel idea!

Here's another thing to consider...if a particular school does not have enough teachers that will step up and learn how to use a gun properly and safely (via Sheriff Training) then go to the next level and find out how many retired Veterans will step up to protect our children? Most would do it for FREE or little cost!

Just a thought.

^These are PROVED facts.

Edited: 02/22/2018 at 03:09 PM by Fish Killer
FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Arming Teachers?

1 2 3 4 5 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .