Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: respect for MLK day
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/15/2018 08:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/15/2018 08:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

WSJ has a perspective that is sure to piss some people off. Written by a man that's half black, for what ever that's worth. https://www.wsj.com/articles/black-protest-has-lost-its-power-1515800438

Edited: 01/15/2018 at 09:08 AM by chopola
 01/15/2018 09:21 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Last I heard WSJ was "Fake KNEWS!"

lol jk I will check it out.

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 01/15/2018 11:51 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

The real deal. A man among men. This year in April will be 50 years since thi great man was taken from us. We haven't failed but our country has stumbled. And those of us that believe in true American values will not let him and everyone that has taken part in making America better down.

Edited: 01/15/2018 at 01:10 PM by Greensleeves
 01/15/2018 12:10 PM

johnnyboy

The man knew he was going to be assassinated. He knew he could avoid it if he went into hiding. He went to Memphis. THe paper published his exact location knowing that he was a target. Some of you will get there without me. Not all of us will make it. He chose to live and die by his faith as a man, a man with sins and greatness. His greatness should always be taken with his sins, not to bring him down or detract from his courage, but to show the world of bloggers with their banality that their sins put them in the same category as MLK Jr. once was. He was still capable of courage in the face of death and honor, dignity and commitment despite his sins. He was not a saint, saints are easy to categorize and glorify. Sinners with greatness are a more difficult comparison. If they can do it, so can we. Had MLK Jr fled, he would been a mere footnote in the civil rights era. His courage, conviction, faith and strength in the face of death made him a man that could not be minimized or silenced. He is a hero. I am glad he has a holiday. I am not surprised that the GOP has tried to attach their agenda to his legacy or that black people, half blacks and whites are quoted saying that he's irrelevant, dated, or that he was never a true standard bearer. His truth is still combatting those same lies. Happy Birthday Reverend, we literally could not have done it without you.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

01/15/2018 01:04 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

He wasn't perfect, but he had a unique gift for calling people of all colors and cultures to be better people. I studied on the guy in college, and in the end I admit I'm not worthy. If I were a black man in that time I'd have been following Malcolm X and Black Panthers. Any means necessary.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".

Edited: 01/15/2018 at 03:38 PM by RustyTruck
 01/15/2018 02:03 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

linkage to the opinion piece by conservative columnist Shelby Steele in the increasingly reactionary WSJ
(behind a paywall)

And to a rebuttable
(not behind a paywall)

" In this piece Steele concludes that the protests have been "fruitless." The reality is that the opposite has been true. The protests have sparked a national conversation on issues such as police aggression and racism in the United States, which is precisely what the original purpose of the protest was about. Colin Kaepernick explained that the purpose of his protest was to bring awareness to the injustices that are going on in the country. Whether one agrees or disagrees with Kaepernick's actions, the fact is that no one has been able to ignore it. Even the president has felt the need to comment on the protests. The protests are not fruitless simply because Steele says that they are."

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 01/15/2018 03:08 PM

johnnyboy

Steele is fruitless.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .