Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: A question for our military guys
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/23/2017 07:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/23/2017 07:33 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I'm reading the reports that it took 48 hours to locate the remains of Sgt. La David Johnson. I also understand that the helicopter evacuation was done by contractors and not US military, and no head count was done, so it may be that they didn't realize they were leaving someone behind.

The missing soldier's beacon was activated, but when his body was found it was some distance from the site of the ambush. There are rumors he may have been mutilated by the enemy.

Is it common to use privateers this way? Is this acceptable? Should someone be held accountable?

I've always considered the Benghazi attacks on the SoS to be manufactured political hysteria, and I'm hesitant even given the general incompetence of the trump regime to suggest without more evidence that trump policies contributed to this. However, given the response to Benghazi and the amount of outrage expressed I'm curious if the same standards exist for this incident.

-------------------------
“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 10/23/2017 08:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: RustyTruck I'm reading the reports that it took 48 hours to locate the remains of Sgt. La David Johnson. I also understand that the helicopter evacuation was done by contractors and not US military, and no head count was done, so it may be that they didn't realize they were leaving someone behind. The missing soldier's beacon was activated, but when his body was found it was some distance from the site of the ambush. There are rumors he may have been mutilated by the enemy. Is it common to use privateers this way? Is this acceptable? Should someone be held accountable? I've always considered the Benghazi attacks on the SoS to be manufactured political hysteria, and I'm hesitant even given the general incompetence of the trump regime to suggest without more evidence that trump policies contributed to this. However, given the response to Benghazi and the amount of outrage expressed I'm curious if the same standards exist for this incident.
We've used contractors for a long time. Air America flew rescue missions in Vietnam.
 10/23/2017 09:05 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

I'm reading the reports that it took 48 hours to locate the remains of Sgt. La David Johnson. I also understand that the helicopter evacuation was done by contractors and not US military, and no head count was done, so it may be that they didn't realize they were leaving someone behind.

The missing soldier's beacon was activated, but when his body was found it was some distance from the site of the ambush. There are rumors he may have been mutilated by the enemy.

Is it common to use privateers this way? Is this acceptable? Should someone be held accountable?

I've always considered the Benghazi attacks on the SoS to be manufactured political hysteria, and I'm hesitant even given the general incompetence of the trump regime to suggest without more evidence that trump policies contributed to this. However, given the response to Benghazi and the amount of outrage expressed I'm curious if the same standards exist for this incident.

Not a "military guy" but I understand it is common to use contractors for limited liability, so although unacceptable, the person "accountable" will not be US brass per say.

Not sure I follow the other stuff about comparing to Benghazi though?

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 10/23/2017 09:23 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Somebody screwed up and someone need to answer for it, so it doesn't happen again, but it won't hold the same staying power as Benghazi, because Democrat don't operate like Republicans.

Republicans find an issue, not matter how small and stick with it. If it gains traction, the echo chamber picks it up and it becomes viral. It didn't matter that every commission found Clinton innocent of wrong doing, because her guilt was entrenched into the psyche of the Right. Ask any Republican on here and they will say Clinton was guilty, even when they don't know what she was guilty of.

Democrats and Independents don't work that way. Many times I don't agree with Rusty or Daner won't agree with me or miker won't agree with anybody. We don't work under the collective and unfortunately, that has been our undoing in the last series of elections. Somebody screwed the pooch in Chad, will anything come of it? I doubt it.

I was right.
 10/23/2017 09:39 AM

follydude

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

In Bengazi, we had former military turned contractors protecting the Ambassador; in Niger, we have active duty Special Forces ostensibly working with the French to fight a basket of terrorist organizations.

I'm not sure what th contractors are doing there. No one is talking about the mission. Even in the aftermath of this ambush, it took weeks for the White House to acknowledge their deaths and presence there.

This is the story of more 'boots on the ground' and more excursions into places where we don't need to be.

10/23/2017 10:11 AM

RustyTruck

I had understood that there was an ethic in the military to never leave anyone behind, and it was suggested to me that because contractors executed the rescue, they don't have those same standards of duty, and in this case an American soldier (who may well have been alive) was left to die a gruesome death at the hands of ISIS.

There seem to be a lot of unanswered questions, and I'm curious if all of us regardless of political affiliation want answers about just what happened in Niger.

I recall what Mattis said in February: "If you don't fund the State Department fully, then I need to buy more ammunition ultimately," Mattis said, before members of Congress at a National Security Advisory Council meeting, the US Global Leadership Coalition notes.

"So I think it's a cost-benefit ratio. The more that we put into the State Department's diplomacy, hopefully the less we have to put into a military budget as we deal with the outcome of an apparent American withdrawal from the international scene," Mattis continued.

http://www.businessinsider.com...ore-ammunition-2017-2

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 10/23/2017 02:51 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Lots of Blackwater guys in a surprising array of places.
 10/23/2017 03:30 PM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: RegularJoe

Does it have any impact on the morale of the uniformed forces?

Like if a privateer rescue chopper makes a business decision to leave a man behind, it seems to me that could be devastating, but I'm not an expert on military psychology.

10/24/2017 06:19 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: RegularJoe

no longer called blackwater, now the are Constellis Holdings. Had to change the name after killing 14 Iraqui's....doubt that changed the growing reputation US has as terrorists.

The contractors really get hung out to dry though as when they get left no one has to go get them....

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 10/24/2017 06:27 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I read the timeline of the incident and you are right Rusty, this story definitely has legs.

I was right.
 10/24/2017 06:35 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

There are rumors he may have been mutilated by the enemy

Which would explain statements from his widow that the military has kept his casket closed and she has not been allowed to view his body, after repeatedly requesting to do so.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 10/24/2017 06:42 AM

RustyTruck

The use of mercenaries in combat seems to me to be a controversial thing. Historically speaking, they would not be entitled to any standard of treatment under the Geneva convention, right?

They could "legally" be executed summarily if captured. Not that it really matters in a war against terrorists.

Statistics
146498 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .