Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Why do whites oppose the NFL protests?
Topic Summary: an interesting opinion piece...
Created On: 10/17/2017 10:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/17/2017 10:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

In a poll, whites were asked whether the NFL players kneeling in protest during the national anthem are helping or hurting the cause of racial justice. No fewer than 85 percent said they are hurting it.

Clearly, this offense to the anthem and the American flag is the worst possible way to change minds. Blacks need to find a less divisive means to register their discontent.

Oh, wait. I've got that wrong. Those figures don't come from a new poll. They come from a survey taken in 1966 asking whites whether "the demonstrations by Negroes on civil rights have helped more or hurt more in the advancement of Negro rights."

Only 15 percent of whites surveyed thought those peaceful protests would advance the cause of integration and equality. Martin Luther King Jr. and his nonviolent methods are honored even by conservatives today, but in 1967, half of whites said he was harming blacks, with only 36 percent disagreeing.

In many respects, the country has changed a lot since then - partly because of those unpopular demonstrations. What has not changed is that whites generally resent organized efforts by African-Americans to raise grievances and seek change. Last year, a Reuters poll found that 63 percent of whites disapproved of NFL players kneeling during the anthem - compared with 17 percent of blacks.

The Black Lives Matter movement is also unpopular among whites. Only 35 percent hold a positive view of it, according to a recent Harvard-Harris poll, compared with 83 percent of blacks. The negative opinions could be attributed to the noisy, disruptive marches the group has held or to the occasional outbreaks of violence that have resulted. The killing of five Dallas police officers at a Black Lives Matter demonstration last year (by a gunman unconnected to the group) also alienated a lot of people.

But if you don't like how Black Lives Matter pursues its agenda, you should welcome the NFL players' approach. It's silent; it's not disruptive; and it's entirely nonviolent. It doesn't block traffic, occupy police or frighten bystanders.

Critics say it's disrespectful to the flag, but no flags are harmed - and it could be taken as a form of respect for the flag to mutely signal your belief that the ideals it represents are not being realized.

Chicago Trib

-------------------------
Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 10/17/2017 10:58 AM

SuperTeeBird

Joined Forum: 12/08/2016

IMO most forms of dissent trigger white fragility. Maybe humor doesn't but it probably doesn't have much effect either.

10/17/2017 10:59 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Lots of people, many here, are propagating the lie that BLM is violent.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 10/17/2017 11:01 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

I think it's more of a defensive mechanism in the human psyche.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 10/17/2017 11:04 AM

SuperTeeBird

Probably.

I don't know if awareness that everyone's shizz stinks and everyone can put up with a little criticism (or even much more than that) has gone down because of "I'm a prince/princess" culture.

More likely it's always been this way.

10/17/2017 11:29 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

If they are not violent, why are they designated a terrorist organization?

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 10/17/2017 11:30 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I think it has to do with the sense of personal value. It's human nature to compare yourself to others, and to judge your personal sense of "value" relative to those around you.

For whites who in a generation have become grudgingly accustomed to black athletes receiving substantial compensation, it's a critical psychological "trick" to suggest that they owe their wealth to the white spectator.
Consciously or unconsciously, many whites (especially males) still consider themselves as superior to blacks; so to alleviate the cognitive dissonance, they imagine themselves as the source of the compensation, for which the athlete should be personally grateful. It's a construct based on ego preservation.

Even before the protests, you might recall memes which called into question the fact that athletes (mostly black) get paid big bucks while soldiers, cops, "1st responders" are paid a pittance.
You'll rarely see a similar meme using CEOs or white hedge fund managers in the same light. That's because rich white people must have worked hard and deserve high pay.

A black person, subconsciously looked down on, doesn't deserve high pay, and should demonstrate deference and gratitude to the white spectator.

How dare they assert themselves in defiance of the white football fans?

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 10/17/2017 11:31 AM

SuperTeeBird

Originally posted by: crankit If they are not violent, why are they designated a terrorist organization?

Probably because simps like you are terrified of them?

10/17/2017 11:33 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

We the people ask the federal government to Take or explain a position on an issue or policy:

Formally recognize black lives matter as a terrorist organization

Created by J.O. on January 22, 2017

Terrorism is defined as “the use of violence and intimidation in pursuit of political aims”. This definition is the same definition used to declare ISIS and other groups, as terrorist organizations. Black Lives Matter has earned this title due to its violent actions in multiple cities and their influence in the killings of multiple police officers throughout the United States. This group has already been described as a hate group because of it's racist and police hating actions by Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke, a speaker at last years RNC. It is time for the pentagon to be consistent in its actions – and just as they rightfully declared ISIS a terror group, they must declare Black Lives Matter a terror group – on the grounds of principle, integrity, morality, and safety.

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 10/17/2017 11:34 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

BLM, Antifa, ISIS, Al Quaida, Hamas, terrorist organizations

KKK, Nazis: regular guys

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 10/17/2017 11:40 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

A weak regime in Washington needs enemies, and cranky eats it up.

BLM, Anitfa, hell, he's probably scared of the pussy hats.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 10/17/2017 11:44 AM

SuperTeeBird

He should be wearing one.

10/17/2017 11:52 AM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

I'll just leave this right here:

http://ijr.com/the-declaration...rong-nfl-boycott-ouch/

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 10/17/2017 12:31 PM

WG

Originally posted by: crankit

If they are not violent, why are they designated a terrorist organization?

By whom?

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 10/17/2017 12:33 PM

WG

Originally posted by: Fish Killer

I'll just leave this right here:

http://ijr.com/the-declaration...rong-nfl-boycott-ouch/

please do.
it's quite stupid.
helps many get where you are coming from
And what the fuck is that web site?
Looks like kinda Russian inspired.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 10/17/2017 12:35 PM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

"By whom?"

By nobody but racist dirtbags like Spankit

10/17/2017 12:39 PM

WG

A search for his title mostly links to racist sites with a petition by the racists to label those who peacefully protest against it as terrorists.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 10/17/2017 12:51 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

All I know is that when I go someplace for entertainment, I would not put up with the employees airing their societal grievances to me. If, for example, I went to a restaurant and the waiter came up to me and expressed an issue with my leather shoes, I wouldn't go back to that establishment if the management allows that sort of thing.

Now progs, being the enlightened beings that they are, would surely welcome such protests, since they are so steadfastly dedicated to free speech. Nonetheless, I would love to see our resident progs' reaction if they were to go to a movie and, prior to the start of the movie, someone got up and gave a 5 minute pro-Trump or anti-abortion speech.

I :heart; Q
 10/17/2017 12:54 PM

SuperTeeBird

I will force you to watch TV, haha.

Do as you please and we'll muse on it. Wouldn't miss the opportunity.

10/17/2017 01:05 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: SuperTeeBird I will force you to watch TV, haha.

Do as you please and we'll muse on it. Wouldn't miss the opportunity.

One of the reasons that I don't watch TV, except for Gator football and basketball.

I :heart; Q
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .