Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Ken Burns Vietnam
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/18/2017 07:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/18/2017 07:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Day 2, anyone watching? I'm a fan of Ken Burns and PBS. I think he's doing an excellent job with a complex subject.

-------------------------
Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 09/19/2017 05:10 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

everything Ken touches turns golden. this looks like another good one.

too bad we didn't listen to the French back in the 50's...

09/19/2017 07:32 AM

RustyTruck

Watching it I see some of the same jingo attitudes we have today, "love it or leave it", derision for the Vietnamese people; belief in the invincibility of American military.

Burns is doing a good job of presenting both sides. Once minute it seems like he's treating Ho Chi Minh sympathetically, then next minute exposing his hypocrisy.

The most interesting this to me is just how much the corruption of the government in the South contributed to the success of the revolutionaries.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

09/19/2017 01:29 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

It's the same with hamas. The people preferred the consistent and honest zealotry of terrorists over the soothsaying well heeled bought leaders.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/19/2017 01:42 PM

RustyTruck

Paraphrasing, but one observation was that when the RVN and the US came through and killed a VC, he might be replaced. But when they killed the an innocent by mistake, the VC could recruit 10.

09/19/2017 01:49 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: RustyTruck Paraphrasing, but one observation was that when the RVN and the US came through and killed a VC, he might be replaced. But when they killed the an innocent by mistake, the VC could recruit 10.

That isn't true. They certainly had true believers. But they also forced many into it at gunpoint. The South Vietnamese did not at all want what the VC and North were selling.

I :heart; Q
 09/19/2017 02:55 PM

RustyTruck

Tell it to the Vietnamese veteran who said it in last night's episode. I'm sure he'd love to hear your opinion on his revolution.
Tell him you're part French.

09/21/2017 11:17 AM

Zeus

Ken Burns knocked it out of the park again.  This is an excellent series. 

Funny how everyone is taking away something differnt from it too.  Seems the methods the VC used to trick the US into striking civilians to gain the south's support was clearly in Ho Chi Minh's play book.  I'm seeing a lot of parallels in this documentary on how communism was spread there then and how its spreading here today.  Antifa is even starting to wear the same black pajamas as the VC.

09/21/2017 11:32 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Funny how you went from logical to paranoid fantasy in just a few sentences.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 09/21/2017 12:32 PM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Antifa is even starting to wear the same black pajamas as the VC
zeus

Some things never go out of style.

I have a hard time watching anything to do with the Vietnam war. Lot of very bad memories.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 09/21/2017 12:53 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

The playbook for protracted guerrilla warfare and insurrection was written by the guys who fought in Vietnam. Those were the same guys that Wolfowitz Cheney and Rummy completely disregarded when they reinvented military power and invaded Iraq, being welcomed as liberators.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/22/2017 05:12 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Would today's technology- camera phones, Skype, social media etc made that situation better or worse?

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 09/22/2017 07:14 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: RustyTruck Tell it to the Vietnamese veteran who said it in last night's episode. I'm sure he'd love to hear your opinion on his revolution. Tell him you're part French.

Give me his contact info and I will be happy to do so. Amazing how you guys believe any old ignorant peasant just because he is a commie.

I :heart; Q
 09/22/2017 07:46 AM

RustyTruck

The take away from the series so far is the danger of American hubris. Even when Johnson and many of the people directing the war knew it could not be won, they continued to sacrifice American kids while waving the flag and thumping their chests, all to avoid appearing weak.

The VC were not fighting ideologically for communism as much as they were fighting a war of national liberation against foreign imperialists. The blatant racism and atrocities committed by the Americans and the corrupt US puppet government in the south helped create a nearly endless supply of new volunteers for the revolutionary army.

It's a lesson that is relevant today.

As for the first hand account of the vietnamese veterans, you go find him yourself; I imagine he's dealt with your kind before.

09/22/2017 07:54 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: RustyTruck   It's a lesson that is relevant today. 

too bad:  nothing has changed.  SAD!

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .