Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The night they drove ol' Dixie down...
Topic Summary: Baltimore
Created On: 08/16/2017 05:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/16/2017 05:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/...ts-removal/index.html

So long rebs!

-------------------------
Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 08/16/2017 06:15 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

The Nazis have hastened the removal of Confederate statues.

It appears their plan has backfired.

Or maybe this is the Sorros master plan. Reverse psychology in full effect. lol

I was right.
 08/16/2017 06:35 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

That Civil War ended 152 years ago. No reason to fight it again. When the forces of true evil raise their ugly heads, time to beat them back as many times as it takes.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 08/16/2017 06:50 AM

obx2

Joined Forum: 04/10/2015

Tell me, what does removing these statues actually accomplish?

Does it somehow magically change history? Are you now free from it because there are no statues? Does it somehow satisfy you, a person who has never been a slave or owned one? You literally were not even around, much less fully understand the dynamics that lead to the civil war. You seem to hold on to this false narrative that it was all about slavery, and only about slavery. You are wrong, and acting with such vigilence and bigotry, that you do not even care about the facts that lead up to the war, muchless the people whose culture stems from the South. You literaly are equating Southern Culture with White Supremist slave owners. I thought you guys were against being prejudiced? 

Truth is, you'll never be satisfied, and all that is accomplished is a fullfillment of self rightouesness, which only leads to further divide.

This is no difference then the PETA morons harrasing the guys who are fishing.

One more step in white washing history and a "endless present in which the party is always right" You guys are so entrenched in your mob mentality, that you don't even realize the danger and precendent this is setting..........congratulations.

08/16/2017 06:56 AM

Cole

I tend to view this from the Black perspective. If you look into it, many of these statues were erected out of malice for black people and I agree with them when they say it's time for them to go.

My family is from the south and has been for generations, but I don't give two shits about southern pride or the Civil War. I've never understood the fascination and I guess I never will.

I was right.
 08/16/2017 06:56 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

By "mob mentality" do you mean as in a mob of pathetic white racists marching with torches and shouting?
Or as in the Russian mob that is in control of at least one branch of our government?
Or as in "I'm gonna plow my Challenger into that damn mob of N****..."

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 08/16/2017 07:01 AM

johnnyboy

The soldiers for the confederacy don't need to be celebrated. They fought for state's rights when the only state's right they had to fight about was whether the law would continue to allow them to enslave human beings, force them to work and kill them if they can't be broken. The Civil War was about money. The Soldiers probably weren't in on that detail. They are an example of the poor being used by a Millionaire plantation caste to subjugate people into slavery and produce a product using slave labor. They tried using the Bible as their authority: We are the chosen sons of God entitled to yoke his creatures and creation for his glory. That failed. They tried saying that slaves were incapable of feeding themselves and lacked the basic intelligence to survive in a modern world.

This failed miserably and so the plantation caste strictly prohibited any slave education so that the proof of their lies was limited to examples in the north, which they could claim the equivalent of fake news. Then the plantation caste went with a public relations campaign that cast them as benevolent rulers that aren't getting free labor, but expensive labor because they house and feed the slaves and as expensive as that is, its just a part of their noblesse oblige. That didn't really square with the auctioning off of family members, whippings, and even outright murder of particularly uppity slaves. Then, the plantation caste pretended that slavery was an economic benefit and reality. They portrayed their status quo as a solution to the agricultural nature of the genteel south.

That myth included a so called southern heritage nostalgia that was only real in the books and articles that romanticized the south and slavery. They don't read well today. But here we are today with a bunch of racists that still believe that their pure European blood and power is being diluted by jews, blacks, catholics and gay people. They cling to the millionaire plantation caste monuments because those are proof of a time when they could still burn, lynch, exclude and deny the people they hate. They are at a last gasp now. The Klan could get tens of thousands of people to march without issue in 1960's. Now, they will be lucky of they can round up even 200. The counter protesters will dwarf their numbers.

That is why the white nationalists are Klan are using these rallies to provoke violence. Its a tactic of the weak. They want to Unite the RIght? With violence? yes. They wanted the world to condemn all conservatives in a way where the GOP is tarred with the same brush as David Duke. With this generalization, the Right is united. Its the same thing ISIS does with beheadings. Its a ploy to get every Muslim called a terrorist and feel attacked so that ISIS is the only way to fight back, or at least is justified in some of murder based upon the categorically general war waged on all Muslims.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

08/16/2017 07:12 AM

SuperTeeBird

Joined Forum: 12/08/2016

Originally posted by: obx2 Tell me, what does removing these statues actually accomplish?

Does it somehow magically change history? Are you now free from it because there are no statues? Does it somehow satisfy you, a person who has never been a slave or owned one? You literally were not even around, much less fully understand the dynamics that lead to the civil war. You seem to hold on to this false narrative that it was all about slavery, and only about slavery. You are wrong, and acting with such vigilence and bigotry, that you do not even care about the facts that lead up to the war, muchless the people whose culture stems from the South. You literaly are equating Southern Culture with White Supremist slave owners. I thought you guys were against being prejudiced? 

Truth is, you'll never be satisfied, and all that is accomplished is a fullfillment of self rightouesness, which only leads to further divide.

One more step in white washing history and a "endless present in which the party is always right" You guys are so entrenched in your mob mentality, that you don't even realize the danger and precendent this is setting..........congratulations.

Yeah; it's not that dire. Not dire at all really.

08/16/2017 07:14 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: johnnyboy The soldiers for the confederacy don't need to be celebrated....

Bullshit, then why were they official given Vetrans status? Yes, they are legally and officialy considered Veterans of the United States. Why do you suppose that happened? Its because once upon a time in this country, there was a sense of "common ground" and understanding. The Nation as a whole knew the South wasn't fighting for slavery, and slavery only. Slavery was the cataylst that ecompossed many other issues that were pissing the South off.

And, here you fcking clowns are literally supporting the removal of statues of American Veterans.........at the same time calling yourseves "Americans"....

Clueless mobs, marching to the orders of predetermined narratives.

Congratulations......

08/16/2017 07:21 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

I see a difference between historical monuments and flying the confederate flag. IMO the flag is flown as an in-your-face insult, but the monuments celebrate history. The south didn't win, so the winners dictate how we honor history. But since it is our brother citizens I would be in favor of each local, (city, state, region) deciding the fate of their monuments. Their flag can stay wrapped up.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

08/16/2017 07:21 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: obx2
Originally posted by: johnnyboy The soldiers for the confederacy don't need to be celebrated....

Bullshit, then why were they official given Vetrans status? Yes, they are legally and officialy considered Veterans of the United States. Why do you suppose that happened? Its because once upon a time in this country, there was a sense of "common ground" and understanding. The Nation as a whole knew the South wasn't fighting for slavery, and slavery only. Slavery was the cataylst that ecompossed many other issues that were pissing the South off.

And, here you fcking clowns are literally supporting the removal of statues of American Veterans.........at the same time calling yourseves "Americans"....

Congratulations......

Congratulations you believe fake history or a misguided interpretation of facts. It had to do with benefits for widows of confederate soldiers. It had nothing to do with pardoning confederate soldiers or accepting them as veterans to be honored.
 08/16/2017 07:22 AM

wtf

Joined Forum: 11/23/2005

Tell me, what does removing these statues actually accomplish?

A black person, a citizen of these very United States afforded all the rights thereof, can finally walk through a public square and not be intimated/reminded of the brutality with which their own flesh/blood suffered through. That is what is accomplishes. It's not that difficult...

QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 08/16/2017 07:34 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: SuperTeeBird
Originally posted by: obx2 Tell me, what does removing these statues actually accomplish?

You, like most people, are making the mistake of focusing on individual occurences, and not looking at the big picture, or what these actions represent. The ignorant, forcing of an opinion at the expense of history, and anyone else who seems to disagree.

Freedom is not lost in one occurence. With the exception of force, dictators do not rise to power over night. We are seeing a political paryy hell bent on causing civil unrest and distracting from the real issues effecting our everyday lives. Once again, like in Nazi Germany and Communist Russia, we are seeing the left rear its ugly head, causing civil unrest, in attempt to overthrough our ideals and institution. Most of you, with your Mob mentality don't realize this, and even openly supported a communist as president.  You truly are the "usefull idiots" that are required to pull this off.....

08/16/2017 07:36 AM

SuperTeeBird

Joined Forum: 12/08/2016

I've tried to be civil, but now you can gfy. I don't need to be lectured by you.

08/16/2017 07:38 AM

RustyTruck

Congratulations......

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

08/16/2017 07:38 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Might as well go whole hog. Dig up the graves of all Confederate soldiers and slave holders and hang the bodies from trees. They can serve as a reminder of the evils of slavery, since, as recent events show, we are on the cusp of reinstituting that practice. Likewise, we should change the names of any buildings, streets, schools, etc., that were named after Confederate soldiers or slave holders. We should strike any mention of Confederate soldiers, the Confederacy, slave holders, slavery and the Civil War from our history books. While we are at it, we should do all of those things with respect to people who were against woman sufferage, LGBTs, and any other minority, creed or current prog thinking. Let's take care of all of this at once.

I :heart; Q
 08/16/2017 07:40 AM

RustyTruck

08/16/2017 07:40 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: SuperTeeBird

Most of you, with your Mob mentality don't realize this, and even openly supported a communist as president.  You truly are the "usefull idiots" that are required to pull this off.....

Ahh, and these are the fine words that will pull us together. Right...
 08/16/2017 07:41 AM

WG

Bullshit, then why were they official given Vetrans status? Yes, they are legally and officialy considered Veterans of the United States. Why do you suppose that happened? .

True

I did not know that. Thanks.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 08/16/2017 07:42 AM

WG

"McKinley called for federal recognition of Union and Confederate soldiers because he viewed them all as Americans. But the Confederate flag wasn't a part of McKinley's reconciliation efforts, and he specifically cites the flying of the American flag in the south as reason to move forward with federal recognition of Confederate soldiers.

The Confederate flag didn't fly widely in the south until the 1940s, the Atlantic reports:

After the surrender in 1865, Confederate flags were folded and put away. They were most likely to be spotted at memorials or cemeteries. Even after the hopeful decade of Reconstruction gave way to the violent repression of Redemption, open displays of the flag remained rare. There was no need for a banner to signal defiance; Jim Crow reigned unchallenged.

The flag slowly crept back into public life over the ensuing decades, saluted at veterans' reunions, promoted by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, even carried into battle by units from the South. By the mid-twentieth century, the flags were also waved by football fans, and sold to tourists.

But as a political symbol, the flag was revived when northern Democrats began to press for an end to the South's system of racial oppression. In 1948, the Dixiecrats revolted against President Harry Truman - who had desegregated the armed forces and supported anti-lynching bills. The movement began in Mississippi in February of 1948, with thousands of activists "shouting rebel yells and waving the Confederate flag," as the Associated Press reported at the time. Some actually removed old, mothballed flags from the trunks where they had until then been gathering dust.

So, it's true that Confederate and Union soldiers are considered equal under federal law, but critics argue that the same isn't true of the American and Confederate flags."

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .