Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: this ain't fixing health care
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/22/2017 09:07 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/22/2017 09:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Senate Republicans' Better Care Act contains many provisions cutting taxes, on some of the most affluent households in America.

The single biggest tax cut of the bunch applies exclusively to individuals earning over $200,000 a year or married couples with combined incomes of over $250,000. It's a 3.8 percent tax on Net Investment Income (basically capital gains or dividends) that applies only if your total income is over those threshold points.

But not only does the bill repeal that tax, it repeals it retroactively to give rich families a tax break on investment income accrued earlier this year as well as investment income going forward.

The dollar amount involved in the retroactivity provision isn't all that large in the grand scheme of things, but conceptually it's very significant. That's because there are two basic reasons one might object to the Net Investment Income tax.

One is what you might call the moral objection. Some people believe that, morally speaking, it is wrong that rich American families have so little money. The country would be a better, more just place if congress acted with more concern for the interests of the wealthiest among us and made sure that the incomes of the highest-income families went up.

The other is that I'd call the growth objection. Some people believe that, economically speaking, taxes on investment income hurt almost everyone's interests in the long-term. Lower taxes on investment income will lead to more investment, and ultimately more jobs and growth.

The key thing here is that there's absolutely no reason to think that a retroactive tax cut will boost job creation and growth. You're essentially increasing people's incentives to travel back in time and create jobs earlier in the year. Or, rather, you're not increasing anyone's incentive to do anything. You're just shoveling money into the pockets of the least-needy families in the country. "

mattyglesias

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 06/22/2017 09:17 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

If the majority of people's brain chemistry agree with this shit I'd say our minds must be polluted.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

06/22/2017 09:47 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I left a polite message with Rubio's staff that he should not sign this without the opportunity for review and thoughtful consideration. In spite of the nanny-boo-boo crap we post here on NSR, the American healthcare system should not be a political football for either side.

If ACA can be improved, call it Trump International Best Healthcare Believe Me Bill and I would still support it if it sustains access and lowers costs.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 06/22/2017 09:59 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: RustyTruck I left a polite message with Rubio's staff that he should not sign this without the opportunity for review and thoughtful consideration. In spite of the nanny-boo-boo crap we post here on NSR, the American healthcare system should not be a political football for either side. .

good luck with that

06/22/2017 10:35 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Rubio is responsive. You may not exactly like what he responds, but he ( or a staffer) will respond.
Unlike the Fuher's propaganda ministers. Today's WH briefing is conducted without camera or sound. Kind of like the Repugs and their invisible health care plan. The prophets are rolling over in the graves. "Ignorance is bliss."

Rubio is an interesting specimen. He has become the ultimate pandering politician. Never showing his full hand. Watching and waiting for the fuher's regime to blow up so he can still be standing. Keeping the old arms length.

Tapes? You got tapes? I don't have tapes. Has anyone seen those confounded tapes?

He was born in Kenya, where is the birth certificate?

I'm building a wall and the Mexicans will pay for it.

Sanctions? Don't worry about that, just lend us some more money for that new Hotel in Kiev.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 06/22/2017 10:39 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

A relative of mine wrote Rubio a very personal and heartfelt letter about a life-threatening condition, and got a form letter back.

It's worse than a non-response, because he acts like he heard it, but didn't.
 06/22/2017 11:21 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Yeah, needs to be rejected. They should do what they promised to do - repeal Clown Care.

I :heart; Q
 06/23/2017 08:54 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Its no fun being rich if you can't screw the poor. For the rich, the buffet table should have a higher price so that you can keep the rabble out.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

06/23/2017 09:14 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I'm building a wall and the Mexicans will pay for it.

Now it is a solar panel wall...that mexico is going to pay for.

To all you Trump supporters: Will you ever tire of hearing these lines of absolute bullshit?

I was right.
 06/23/2017 09:24 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

It screws Trumps voters

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 06/23/2017 10:00 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: WG It screws Trumps voters

Then it should make you progs very happy.

I :heart; Q
 06/23/2017 11:00 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Originally posted by: WG It screws Trumps voters

Then it should make you progs very happy.

Only if you assume we are as shallow as the cons.

They certainly deserve it, but too many disabled people and folks who will die without care would be caught up too. I can't stomach the collateral damage just to see the karma visit Kentucky.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 06/23/2017 11:49 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .