Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 410 PPM
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/28/2017 11:05 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/28/2017 11:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

"We Just Breached the 410 PPM Threshold for CO2
Carbon dioxide has not reached this height in millions of years."

On Tuesday, the Mauna Loa Observatory recorded its first-ever carbon dioxide reading in excess of 410 parts per million (it was 410.28 ppm in case you want the full deal). Carbon dioxide hasn't reached that height in millions of years. It's a new atmosphere that humanity will have to contend with, one that's trapping more heat and causing the climate to change at a quickening rate.

In what's become a spring tradition like Passover and Easter, carbon dioxide has set a record high each year since measurements began. It stood at 280 ppm when record keeping began at Mauna Loa in 1958. In 2013, it passed 400 ppm. "

Carbon dioxide concentrations have skyrocketed over the past two years due to in part to natural factors like El Niño causing more of it to end up in the atmosphere. But it's mostly driven by the record amounts of carbon dioxide humans are creating by burning fossil fuels.

"The rate of increase will go down when emissions decrease," Pieter Tans, an atmospheric scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said. "But carbon dioxide will still be going up, albeit more slowly. Only when emissions are cut in half will atmospheric carbon dioxide level off initially."

Even when concentrations of carbon dioxide level off, the impacts of climate change will extend centuries into the future. The planet has already warmed 1.8°F (1°C), including a run of 627 months in a row of above-normal heat. Sea levels have risen about a foot and oceans have acidified. Extreme heat has become more common.

All of these impacts will last longer and intensify into the future even if we cut carbon emissions. But we face a choice of just how intense they become based on when we stop polluting the atmosphere.

Right now we're on track to create a climate unseen in 50 million years by mid-century.

scientificamerican.com

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 04/28/2017 11:47 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

Gives me swamp ass just thinking about it...

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 04/28/2017 11:51 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Hmm, so all of that money the world has blown on "sustainable" energy has not done a damn thing to help. Since that is obviously a futile waste of money, we should start saving to rent moving vans instead. In the meantime, I am still willing to buy up your beach houses at 75% of current value, which would allow you guys to buy a nice place in the mountains. I am too nice to you people.

I :heart; Q
 04/28/2017 12:24 PM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Denialists are one of the stupider groups of Trump supporters...

Edited: 04/28/2017 at 12:42 PM by Greensleeves
 04/28/2017 12:26 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

When the ecosystem collapses and human population (our kids and grand kids) is cut in half our carbon emissions will go down and warming will reverse. It's a natural cycle. But more importantly your taxes may go down next year and up again in the near future. Also a natural cycle.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

04/28/2017 12:34 PM

WG

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Hmm, so all of that money the world has blown on "sustainable" energy has not done a damn thing to help. Since that is obviously a futile waste of money, we should start saving to rent moving vans instead. In the meantime, I am still willing to buy up your beach houses at 75% of current value, which would allow you guys to buy a nice place in the mountains. I am too nice to you people.

My beach house, and most are safe for decades. We will both be dead before they are threatened.

You really aren't dumb enough to buy this sort of argument, you have enough brains to understand the time scales involved so why do you persist with such weak arguments?

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 04/28/2017 03:45 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I don't think he has kids, so no reason to worry about the future.

I'm going to do what I can. We're accountable to our own conscience.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 04/29/2017 06:02 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Originally posted by: Greensleeves

Denialists are one of the stupider groups of Trump supporters...

Denialists are the right's version of the left's vaxxers, science illiterates that show the world how stupid they are anytime they open their mouths or write about it.
 04/29/2017 06:05 AM

miker

Is it wrong that I find it absolutely comical when a vaxxer and a denier call each other stupid and argue with each other?
 04/29/2017 06:19 AM

WG

I don't think Vaxers are so common the left, a lot of them are righties.
Sam for the anti GMO crowd.

But almost the entire Republican party has bought the "climate change is not real " hoax.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 04/29/2017 06:32 AM

miker

Maybe the party, but not the voters. Party line politics are in play on both sides, which is why we needs new teams and players. Plenty of conservative voters believe in climate change, saying otherwise is silly.

I know liberals who don't believe in climate change, though they are typically religious and believe it is gods plan. I know conservatives that are anti vaccination, for the exact same reason. More liberals are vaxxers and more conservatives are deniers for sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt imo.
 04/29/2017 03:01 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

don't play to the kook lawyer's bs.  He's just trolling.  He'll be dead long before any significant impasse.  We will get to see and read about the impact on a wide variety of wildlife across the world in the interim.  

04/30/2017 08:48 AM

Cole

In the grand scheme of things, comparatively speaking, nothing has been spent on renewable energy.

What, one in a thousand cars is electric? Yea, that's a big help.

I was right.
 05/01/2017 08:45 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: WG
Originally posted by: tpapablo Hmm, so all of that money the world has blown on "sustainable" energy has not done a damn thing to help. Since that is obviously a futile waste of money, we should start saving to rent moving vans instead. In the meantime, I am still willing to buy up your beach houses at 75% of current value, which would allow you guys to buy a nice place in the mountains. I am too nice to you people.

My beach house, and most are safe for decades. We will both be dead before they are threatened. You really aren't dumb enough to buy this sort of argument, you have enough brains to understand the time scales involved so why do you persist with such weak arguments?

When, exactly, will we be flooded out?

I :heart; Q
 05/01/2017 08:50 AM

johnnyboy

Great argument Tpapsmear, since we cant do everything, we should do nothing, or is it that since we haven't tried to much and that didn't work, we shouldn't try anything and just treat it like it was meant to be, fate and what not.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/01/2017 09:05 AM

WG

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Originally posted by: WG
Originally posted by: tpapablo Hmm, so all of that money the world has blown on "sustainable" energy has not done a damn thing to help. Since that is obviously a futile waste of money, we should start saving to rent moving vans instead. In the meantime, I am still willing to buy up your beach houses at 75% of current value, which would allow you guys to buy a nice place in the mountains. I am too nice to you people.

My beach house, and most are safe for decades. We will both be dead before they are threatened. You really aren't dumb enough to buy this sort of argument, you have enough brains to understand the time scales involved so why do you persist with such weak arguments?

When, exactly, will we be flooded out?

"Exactly" makes it a dumb question, but it depends a lot on what we do. If you look at the IPCC concencus, the possible range is huge. If climate sensitivity to carbon is at the low end of the range, and if we slow down enough carbon emissions to restrict warming to less than 2 degrees C this century, we, (meaning satellite beach at 15 feet above sea level) could be OK for centuries. (Miami and lots of other low lying cities are still screwed in though). On the other hand, if sensitivity is high, and we do nothing to stop the increase in emissions and we see 6-8 degree C increase global temps this century, then I wouldn't want to be owning any FL real estate in 2100. But in either case most old rich American farts likes us will escape the brunt of the problem.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .