Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: New Republican Health Care Bill Exempts Congress From Changes to Obamacare
Topic Summary: G.lanktree,Newsweek
Created On: 04/26/2017 05:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/26/2017 05:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

gdudewe

Joined Forum: 11/09/2011

Republicans are seeking to give U.S. states the power to opt out of an Obamacare rule that prevents health insurance companies from discriminating against Americans with pre-existing conditions. But the GOP lawmakers' amendment won't impact their own healthcare insurance.
New Jersey House Representative Tom MacArthur filed the amendment to the GOP's revived health care law Tuesday. His spokeswoman confirmed to Newsweek that it would not apply to members of Congress or their employees.

MacArthur, however, "does not believe members of Congress or their staff should receive special treatment," his spokeswoman added. "[He's] working with House Leadership to make absolutely clear that members of Congress and staff are subject to the same rules, provisions, and protections as all other Americans."
Republicans on Capitol Hill are wrangling over how to revive their health care bill, which is meant to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA), known widely as Obamacare. They are trying to strike a deal as President Donald Trump nears his hundredth day in office Saturday, April 29.
Repealing the ACA was one of the main promises in Trump's "Contract with the American Voter" that he drew up for his first hundred days in office on the campaign trail last October.

Yet Trump was shaken when the Republican replacement bill, called the American Health Care Act, died on the floor of the House March 23 after hardline Republicans in the Freedom Caucus and moderates in the Tuesday Group failed to reach an agreement on it.

"The Republican House Freedom Caucus was able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory," Trump tweeted days later, before saying that his plan for healthcare is "in very  good shape!" and he would forge ahead with the bill. "The Freedom Caucus will hurt the entire Republican agenda if they don't get on the team," he wrote, prodding the hard-right Republicans to sit down at the negotiating table.
Most popular: 'The Silence of the Lambs': The Newsweek Review of Jonathan Demme's Terrifying Thriller
Representative MacArthur is a co-chair of the Tuesday Group, and his amendment granting waivers to the states is a bargaining chip to sway the roughly three dozen members of the Freedom Caucus to vote for Trump's bill.
On Capitol Hill Tuesday, the Freedom Caucus met to consider the changes worked out between MacArthur and their leader, North Carolina Representative Mark Meadows.
Meadows said the plan "has real merits worthy of consideration for all the Freedom Caucus folks" and that he is optimistic they will reach a deal.

-------------------------
I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I noticed it always coincides with their own desires

Susan B. Anthony

Impeach Trump
 04/26/2017 05:48 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Nothing to see here, move along.

They really think Americans are stupid. Amazing.

I was right.
 04/26/2017 06:52 PM

johnnyboy

Elitists. So out of touch.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

04/27/2017 05:18 AM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

You blind ass hypocrite liberals should get your heads out of your asses and try to remember when Obama care was originally passed.

Congress, the Democrats in control of Congress at that time, EXEMPTED themselves from having to follow Obama care even though they forced the rest of US to follow it.

IN ADDITION after they passed Obama care and after they finally read the law that they rushed to pass, they stopped more than 40 items in the law from being enforced until 2017, so that the affects of the law  would not impact the economy until after they were out of office.

04/27/2017 06:00 AM

gdudewe

Joined Forum: 11/09/2011

Originally posted by: somebodyelse

You blind ass hypocrite liberals should get your heads out of your asses and try to remember when Obama care was originally passed.

Congress, the Democrats in control of Congress at that time, EXEMPTED themselves from having to follow Obama care even though they forced the rest of US to follow it.

IN ADDITION after they passed Obama care and after they finally read the law that they rushed to pass, they stopped more than 40 items in the law from being enforced until 2017, so that the affects of the law  would not impact the economy until after they were out of office.

Ok. I could imagine that is true. What about the original post? It seems that some of the repugs like it.

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I noticed it always coincides with their own desires

Susan B. Anthony

Impeach Trump
 04/27/2017 06:01 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: somebodyelse

..and we all said it was bullshit when Democrats did it - congressional republicans got the same deal and didn't complain. Pretty much everyone agrees that congress, as well as Federal employees, get waaayyy too sweet of a deal when it comes to healthcare.

Now you have no issue that Republicans want to be excluded again? How very Trump of you. I'd expect nothing less.

I was right.
 04/27/2017 06:06 AM

johnnyboy

After you identify the hypocrisy, can you forego the double standard and give the GOP the criticism over this that it so richly deserves?

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

04/27/2017 06:12 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Congress should always be subject to the laws they pass, that should be bipartisan.

Liberals, regardless of visual deficits, are pretty consistent on that.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 04/27/2017 07:05 AM

Pagerow

Joined Forum: 12/22/2005

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

Congress should always be subject to the laws they pass, that should be bipartisan.

X2 ^^

GOP:

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project
 04/28/2017 02:39 PM

surfsail

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

In any case they get their Cadillac plans paid for (by us of course) as a job perk, and get the 'group plan' coverage deal that does not discriminate allow pre existing conditions

There are NO white people at all in the Bible... take all the time you need with that...
Please stop feeding the trolls - they will go away if you do...
 04/28/2017 05:35 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: Pagerow

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

X2 ^^

X3

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 04/29/2017 04:20 AM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

Now you have no issue that Republicans want to be excluded again? How very Trump of you. I'd expect nothing less.

can you forego the double standard and give the GOP the criticism over this that it so richly deserves? 

Did I miss something? I thought the plan FAILED to Pass?? Doesn't that mean some Republicans were not lock step with the Party leadership... That didn't happen with the Democrats when they voted to saddle us with the plan years ago.                                                                                        

04/29/2017 07:58 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Props were props are due .... Martha McSally R-Az introduces legislation that would prevent Members of Congress from exempting themselves from the American Health Care Act (AHCA).

"In America, lawmakers are not above the law. Members of Congress should be treated no differently than other Americans struggling to afford healthcare," said Rep. McSally. "Representatives should have to abide by the very same options for coverage as their constituents, and anything short of that is simply hypocrisy. Congress must live by the rules it creates."

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .