Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Will the damage ever be undone
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/19/2017 04:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/19/2017 07:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

We do have a large group of people within this country that think we ARE a Christian nation in every sense of the word, typically Republicans. Heh
 04/19/2017 07:17 AM

obx2

Joined Forum: 04/10/2015

Originally posted by: miker
Originally posted by: SuperTeeBird BTW - The Christian prejudice comment was more of a generality to the "Anti-Christian" who demands nativity scences be taking down on public roads type of people. I don't know you well enough to pass that kind of judgment.

No one can or should be forced to take them down living or owning property on on public roads. What people rightly object to is having them on government property. Maybe that's traditional, but given our modern socieity of many religions it is an establishment of religion. If a small town had giant menorah on their city hall lawn that might not go over so well either.

Exactly. Nativity scenes have no place on government property. Quick to defend a Christian symbol on government property and equally as quick to denounce the symbol of any other religion is hypocrisy. When that is supported by government, then that is just one example of many where religion has over stepped its bounds.

What self rightgeos assholes you guys must be to think that that the local town hall shouldn't  have a nativity scene on their government grounds. Seriously, what is wrong with you to think thats a bad thing? If the populace of your town is primary Christian, why should they bend to your religion of Atheism.

Yes, Atheism is a relgion. You having faith that a God does not exist is no different than someone having faith that one does. In the end, both don't really know.

BTW - Your panties must really get in a bunch during the annaul lighting of the Whitehouse Christmas Tree

04/19/2017 07:21 AM

miker

Calling Atheism a religion means you really have no grasp on what it is. A religious person believes in something without any evidence supporting it. Most atheists will change their belief if any actual real evidence arises.
 04/19/2017 07:22 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

here we go again

04/19/2017 07:23 AM

miker

Oh and it isn't the followers of other beliefs or those with no beliefs that are self righteous. It is the arrogant, narcissistic Christians that think ONLY their beliefs should get special privilege in a country that was specifically founded upon the principles of keeping religion the hell out of government.

Quick to cry about the 'War on Christianity' when someone doesn't want their tax dollars supporting YOUR religion. Even quicker to cry about other religions when they ask for equal representation.

Edit: The real and proper solution is for government to have no religious injection whatsoever.

04/19/2017 07:25 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Christmas trees are not a religious symbol, any more than Rudolph is.
There is no purpose to that nativity scene being placed by the government on public property other than the promotion of that particular religion by the government.

I have zero problem with private persons being allowed the right to express their faith on public property, as long as all are welcome to do so.

Neither Atheism nor agnosticism are religions.

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 04/19/2017 07:26 AM

miker

Originally posted by: WG
Christmas trees are not a religious symbol, any more than Rudolph is.

Or the Easter bunny for that matter.

04/19/2017 07:32 AM

miker

Originally posted by: WG
There is no purpose to that nativity scene being placed by the government on public property other than the promotion of that particular religion by the government.

I have zero problem with private persons being allowed the right to express their faith on public property, as long as all are welcome to do so.

Agreed. However there are numerous examples every holiday season where this simply is not the case.

I wonder how OBX would feel about rolling up to City Hall and seeing a star and crescent being proudly displayed with the words "allahu akbar" underneath it. And on the other side of the side walk, rolling past a Satanist scene.

04/19/2017 07:42 AM

SuperTeeBird

Joined Forum: 12/08/2016

What self rightgeos assholes you guys must be to think that that the local town hall shouldn't  have a nativity scene on their government grounds. Seriously, what is wrong with you to think thats a bad thing? If the populace of your town is primary Christian, why should they bend to your religion of Atheism.

Yes, Atheism is a relgion. You having faith that a God does not exist is no different than someone having faith that one does. In the end, both don't really know.

BTW - Your panties must really get in a bunch during the annaul lighting of the Whitehouse Christmas Tree

Rants are not arguments. We do not allow establishment of religion here. Does not matter if we have enforced it in the past or not.

04/19/2017 07:58 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: obx2 Look at History. The first people to come here and settle where Christians escaping persicution.

Nope. The first colonists were merchants looking to make a buck.

The Puritans came after and the Puritans were tyrants that did not end up founding the nation. Their "Mayflower Compact" view of theocratic governance was widely reject by the people that actually designed our government.

04/19/2017 08:01 AM

WG

The first people to come here and settle came more than 30,000 years before Moses even existed.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 04/19/2017 08:10 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: obx2

What self rightgeos assholes you guys must be to think that that the local town hall shouldn't  have a nativity scene on their government grounds. Seriously, what is wrong with you to think thats a bad thing? If the populace of your town is primary Christian, why should they bend to your religion of Atheism.

Can't have freedom of religion without freedom from government religion. That is why there is an establishment clause in amendment 1 to the constitution.

Before you say "Congress shall make no law..." and "city council is not Congress". Equal protection under the law secured by later amendment to the constitution means that the Bill of Rights restricts the town council right along with the feds.

Nativity scenes are put on the courthouse lawns for a very declarative purpose and that generally trips over establishment prohibition no different from Roy Moore putting a huge 10C monument in the Alabama Courthouse rotunda. I'm sure the town has ample lawns and church fronts where a nativity can be displayed.

04/19/2017 10:32 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: miker
Originally posted by: WG There is no purpose to that nativity scene being placed by the government on public property other than the promotion of that particular religion by the government. I have zero problem with private persons being allowed the right to express their faith on public property, as long as all are welcome to do so.
Agreed. However there are numerous examples every holiday season where this simply is not the case. I wonder how OBX would feel about rolling up to City Hall and seeing a star and crescent being proudly displayed with the words "allahu akbar" underneath it. And on the other side of the side walk, rolling past a Satanist scene.

I could care less. I laugh at your presumption that I am a Christian, too.

BTW: Aethism is defined as:

"Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which, in its most general form, is the belief that at least one deity exists."

Believing, or having faith that a God(s) exist, is no different than believing one, of having faith that one does not.

You mention aethists need proof. Look around. The evidence is there is you choose to see it. On a personal level, I've had things happen in my life that were no way coincidence.
You really think out of this entire universe we humans are the epitome? (The arrogance of man). Look how fucked up we are as a species, I certainly hope not. Must be a dull soul if you have no sense of spirituality.

Can you prove one doesn't exist? No, that is why each of them are faith driven. There is no difference.

BTW - What is this "damage" you speak of again?

04/19/2017 10:39 AM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

Maybe if opiodx and the violent racist doltblight types who spout a perverted view of religiosity they try to claim as christian, (or any other form of religiosity)
studied the history of the early united states, they might understand why the brilliant statesmen (aka founding fathers) who formulated our form of government did what they did.
Which brand of "christianity" are the dumshit religious right nazis referring to? Some states were catholic. Some were some form of "protestant".
But, which form of catholic: reformist, orthodox, eastern orthodox, roman? Irish, british?
How about protestants: puritan, calvinists, baptists, southern baptists, quaker, amish, methodists, episcopalian, lutheran. And invariably some ultrafundamentalist radical versions of all them.
Wars and battles were fought between neighboring states over this. (all over europe!) God help you if you crossed the wrong county line in early america. Lynchings, burnings, murders were quite common. Each faction thought they, and they alone, had the lord's true answer.
So. trying to figure how to deal with this god forsaken mess and its corrupting influences already ahold of america:
The founders came up with the utterly brilliant doctrine of separation of church and state. Period

It's a democratic hoax
 04/19/2017 10:44 AM

miker

Well obx can cut and paste at least, too bad he doesnt understand what he is pasting in.

Look around and I see the world. The fact that there is a world doesn't in any way equate to a divinity.

Obx you do realize that the burden of proof lies upon the person making a claim. But sure, I will play your game. Prove to me that one legged magical talking purple unicorns do not exist, and I will prove to you that your God doesnt.

Seriously bro, do you see any fucking ice giants? No. Therefore Thor exists.
 04/19/2017 10:48 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: scombrid

Can't have freedom of religion without freedom from government religion.

Complete utter BS. Its freedom from religion that you, miker, and the rest of the Aethists cry for. Your religion (or lack thereof) does not make it OK to prevent others from celebrating theirs.

Seperation of Church and State was meant to keep the State from creating/enforcing laws based on religion. If the State did, it would have direct impact on your life, and force you to do things you do not believe.

That is completely different than a local goverment, made up of local people, from celebrating/displaying religous items. That does not impact your life, or force you to do anything. Totally different.

If the local populace was Muslim, and their City Hall, which consisted of mostly Muslims wanted to display a Muslim symbol during a Muslim Holiday. I don't care. The irony is, either would most of you. Lets be real here, you only care if its a Christian symbol.

Bunch of Christian-phobes.......

04/19/2017 10:49 AM

WG

Ice giants have cloaks of invisibility.
They are still out there.
Thor failed.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 04/19/2017 10:59 AM

SuperTeeBird

Joined Forum: 12/08/2016

First, local, federal, does not matter. The US Constitution applies.

Second, a cross (absent Star of David and on down the line) on the Capitol building would be inappropriate, we can all agree.

That applies all the way down to City Hall.

If the local populace was Muslim, and their City Hall, which consisted of mostly Muslims wanted to display a Muslim symbol during a Muslim Holiday. I don't care. The irony is, either would most of you. Lets be real here, you only care if its a Christian symbol.

You are dead wrong and apparently have no idea how we think.

04/19/2017 11:00 AM

miker

Complete utter BS. Its freedom from religion that you, miker, and the rest of the Aethists cry for. Your religion (or lack thereof) does not make it OK to prevent others from celebrating theirs.

So when a government allows a Christian nativity scene, but does not allow another religion to display there's what exactly is that then?

That is the problem with people like you and the infection that has spread across this country through indoctrination. You think YOUR belief is the only one that matters. It is ignorant, arrogant, and narcissistic.

I don't give a crap what religion you celebrate. I don't give a crap about what you put in your yard to celebrate it. What I do care about it one religious belief being given preferential treatment over other religious beliefs by the government because it goes against everything this country was founded upon.

Asking for all religious view to be treated equally is not preventing you from celebrating yours. Asking that your religious beliefs not take away from someone else's right to celebrate theirs is not either.

In God We Trust - On currency and license plates. It does not belong there.

One nation under God - This does not belong on the pledge either and wasn't originally there to begin with.

Prayer in public school? - Absofuckinglutely not. How about we have your children pray to Allah? Would you like that? Didn't think so.

04/19/2017 11:01 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: miker Well obx can cut and paste at least, too bad he doesnt understand what he is pasting in. Look around and I see the world. The fact that there is a world doesn't in any way equate to a divinity. Obx you do realize that the burden of proof lies upon the person making a claim. But sure, I will play your game. Prove to me that one legged magical talking purple unicorns do not exist, and I will prove to you that your God doesnt. Seriously bro, do you see any fucking ice giants? No. Therefore Thor exists.

Cut and Paste? What are talking about? I copy and pasted the definition of Aethism for you. Weren't you the one in another thread hanging your whole argument on the definition of Entitlement? I simply corrected your statement that Aethists will believe once their is proof (or something to that extent).

I am offering proof that a God of some sort exists because of the world that was created. Because of the intellegance in Nature, because I've had specific prayers answered for people that were no way coincidence. You, don't accept that as proof. Thats on you.

There is no evidence of puple unicorns, or Ice giants. You are making the dishonest leap that just because you don't accept what one feels is evidence of a God, means you can say anything exists because in your mind there is no proof of it. Don't you see the arrogance of that?

Can you prove to me no God exists? How could you when your not even willing to open your mind to the fact one might. You base your belief on lack thereof. Which is fine, as long as you understand you are really, actually basing your belief on faith.

FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Will the damage ever be undone

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .