Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Now, I've heard it all, , , , ,
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/27/2017 05:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/27/2017 05:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Total BS. Although, it does stand to reason that "non whites" are harder to teach and require more resources because of their racial deficiencies.

NOHO SCHOOL BUDGET CUTS DUE TO HIGH WHITE STUDENT PERCENTAGE SPARKS OUTRAGE

By John Gregory
Sunday, March 26, 2017 10:16PM

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Outrage has grown at Walter Reed Middle School in North Hollywood, as the school faces layoffs and increased class sizes due to a law limiting funds for schools with a higher white student body.

The Los Angeles Unified School District provides more funding for schools where the white population is below 30 percent.

In a letter to parents, the district noted the highly regarded middle school had been above the percentage for the past couple years.

The racial formula was a condition imposed by court decisions dealing with desegregation in the 1970s.

Parents, however, remain frustrated with what the cuts might mean for their children.

"When your class sizes are getting larger and you're taking resources away from students, I mean ss parents, you do want your kid to go out to college," one parent, Rosemary Estrada, said.

In an attempt to lessen the budget cuts, the district changed the school's spending formula to one based on the number of students.

"Thankfully we're going to keep our librarian. We're going to keep our nurse, but we may lose a few teachers, but not as many as we once thought," said Sheila Edmiston, one student's parent.

Several jobs will still be lost and class sizes could grow. For many parents, the race-based reason of "too many white students" has made the cuts more difficult to swallow.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 03/27/2017 05:50 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I'm so offended!!

I was right.
 03/27/2017 05:54 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

I am not sure how that can be explained as anything BUT racist. Sure it is the white people upset by this, but it also implies that non-whites cannot learn as easily.
 03/27/2017 05:58 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

All over the US there are many laws on the books that are out dated and do not reflect the views of modern society. Obviously one that needs repeal and replace. ( or not)
For a LA county's sake I hope there is not a majority of Repugs on the School Board, or whatever the governing body is for this.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 03/27/2017 06:10 AM

SuperTeeBird

Joined Forum: 12/08/2016

Typically, mostly black schools get less money. Far less. Funding is nearly always from local property taxes, which tends to maintain the status quo in case that's not obvious. Also, this article only mentions one funding source, I don't see it saying there are not others.

So, how's it feel to be black for a change?

03/27/2017 06:58 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

^^proof on that?

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 03/27/2017 07:08 AM

miker

Originally posted by: SuperTeeBird

Typically, mostly black schools get less money. Far less.

Sorry, you need to cite a source for that with actual data. The data from the Department of Education doesn't support your statement in any ways. In fact, numerous searches online show that statement to be largely a myth.

03/27/2017 07:08 AM

SuperTeeBird

Originally posted by: crankit ^^proof on that?

Asks the guy who never responds.

03/27/2017 07:10 AM

SuperTeeBird

Originally posted by: miker
Originally posted by: SuperTeeBird Typically, mostly black schools get less money. Far less.
Sorry, you need to cite a source for that with actual data. The data from the Department of Education doesn't support your statement in any ways. In fact, numerous searches online show that statement to be largely a myth.

My boss's wife teaches in rural PA.  The same is true for rural white schools there. Very much so. They can't afford squat.

You can imagine similar in the city.

03/27/2017 07:11 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Quick search finds this:

http://www.ascd.org/publicatio...the-United-States.aspx

My daughter taught for a while in Pine Hills and can certainly confirm a huge funding gap there...

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 03/27/2017 07:15 AM

SuperTeeBird

Our findings suggest that spending differences between the inner city schools and suburban schools in our review do exist, but these differences for the most part depend upon the metropolitan area. In some metropolitan areas, inner city schools spent more per pupil whereas in others suburban schools spent more per pupil. Spending differences, regardless of metropolitan area for the most part, seemed to be the result of differences in salaries and student to teacher and staff ratios. However, the very heavy concentration of poverty in inner city schools may place them at a spending disadvantage, even when spending is equal. In addition, the suburban schools, as well as the high-performing inner city schools we visited, generally had more experienced teachers, lower enrollments, more library books per child, and more parental in-school volunteer activities than the other inner city schools in this study. These factors are important to consider in improving the performance of inner city schools.

From a GAO report.  Okay, it is a complex issue.

03/27/2017 07:18 AM

SuperTeeBird

03/27/2017 07:19 AM

SuperTeeBird

Can of worms is now open.

03/27/2017 07:20 AM

miker

Complex issue and what disparities exist are about economic class, and not race.

03/27/2017 07:22 AM

SuperTeeBird

Not exactly. See above.

But the initial post is an anecdote rather than a pervasive problem, if it even is an inequity which is not clear from the tiny article.

03/27/2017 07:30 AM

miker

Actually it is about economic class. Completely.

In this case, if you are saying school funding is racial, then you are saying there is intent behind it.

03/27/2017 07:37 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Well in general education, the arts, science are ALL going to suffer under the current regime. But there should be lots of jobs waiting for our young in the armed forces.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

03/27/2017 07:39 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Originally posted by: miker

Actually it is about economic class. Completely.

In this case, if you are saying school funding is racial, then you are saying there is intent behind it.

from T's link:

"If you color code the districts based on their racial composition you see this very stark breakdown. At any given poverty level, districts that have a higher proportion of white students get substantially higher funding than districts that have more minority students." That means that no matter how rich or poor the district in question, funding gaps existed solely based on the racial composition of the school. Just the increased presence of minority students actually deflated a district's funding level. "The ones that have a few more students of color get lower funding than the ones that are 100 percent or 95 percent white,"

miker I think you are trying far to hard to pretend that it's about economic class only, that racism is totally dead. I'm not sure of your intent there.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 03/27/2017 07:58 AM

miker

You damn well I have said numerous times that I have said racism is still there, stop pretending otherwise. I firmly believe it is more about economic class than race though. Are you really surprised that there are more people of color in lower economic class currently given historical racism in the past?
 03/27/2017 08:07 AM

miker

Look at the school I grew up in.

It was smack in the middle of the ghetto in a community primarily Mexican and Haitian, with a small spattering of white people. School funding sucked, though we did have a kick ass soccer team..... (basically me and a german kid were the only white guys till we also go an british kid later on)

Anyways, on the other side of town, there were two high schools in very affluent neighborhoods that basically has the best of everything.

So my school was say 85/15 ethnic to white and those schools were the opposite, like 10-15/80-85 ethnic to white.

Do you think my school received less funding because the school district decided to say 'fuck the minorities' ? Or do you think my school received less funding because it was in a poor community?
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .