Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Maybe other news anchor will take his lead.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/21/2017 07:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/21/2017 07:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

02/21/2017 07:50 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Hate to break the news to you, slimy old buddy, but I am not destroyed. Quite the contrary, I am thriving.

-------------------------
I :heart; Q
 02/21/2017 08:17 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I dislike and refuse to watch any social media post which suggests anyone was "destroyed" in an argument. It's immediate sign of bias and the few I've seen I was generally left scratching my head.

It shows an impulse not to inform or discuss, but merely to prevail in some way in forcing your point of view upon someone who has another opinion.

Yes, that guy is a dirtbag, and yes he bares a striking resemblance to Joe Goebbels, but I'm sure Lemon would agree the desire is not to "destroy" your interview subject at least in the world of real journalism.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 02/21/2017 08:18 AM

RustyTruck

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

02/21/2017 09:07 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: RustyTruck I dislike and refuse to watch any social media post which suggests anyone was "destroyed" in an argument. It's immediate sign of bias and the few I've seen I was generally left scratching my head. It shows an impulse not to inform or discuss, but merely to prevail in some way in forcing your point of view upon someone who has another opinion. Yes, that guy is a dirtbag, and yes he bares a striking resemblance to Joe Goebbels, but I'm sure Lemon would agree the desire is not to "destroy" your interview subject at least in the world of real journalism.

Good point and I agree. It is not healthy for reporters to make an effort to destroy anyone. Not their role. Their role is to report the facts and let us decide what's what. That a good portion of the press is out to destroy Trump has seriously hurt the its credibility in some circles.

02/21/2017 09:25 AM

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

Originally posted by: RustyTruck Yes, that guy is a dirtbag, and yes he bares a striking resemblance to Joe Goebbels, but I'm sure Lemon would agree the desire is not to "destroy" your interview subject at least in the world of real journalism.

As evidenced by the coverage of the 2016 election and leaks of DNC and Podesta emails, "real journalism" is dead. People don't trust it. They lost their ability to be subtle about their biases and people saw through it. The mainstream media threw the book at Donald Trump and others during the election and people still voted the other way. They gave debate questions to Clinton in advance and they still couldn't push her over the top. They can bitch and cry all they want but their credibility has been lost. They lost their way some time ago. They somehow started believing that it wasn't just their job to report on the news but it was their job to shape the narratives and help people interpret the news. They stopped reporting the news and started trying to play God with it. They've pushed this idea about as far as they can at this point. The pendulum is already swinging the other way. People are moving away from the old way of doing things, in general. People are moving from the media and turning to alt-media, like many of the more independent news sources and those found on the net. People are moving away from the big cable providers and shifting to alt-entertainment sources, like Hulu, Netflix, and SlingTV. Uber is providing alt-transportation. Musicians, like Chance, are going around the music industry with alt-production/promotion to cut the music industry out of the deal. The media and the music industry can either get with the times or go the way of Blockbuster.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
 02/21/2017 09:45 AM

RustyTruck

Journalism is not dead, it's just been commercialized and badly compromised by consumer demands. People want to see "news" that agrees with their world view. And there are plenty of business people disguised as journalists who are more than happy to give it to them, truth be damned.

Before you guys get cranked up with the whole "main stream media" thing, I'll remind you that some of the most biased quasi-news available in USA is "Fox News" and AM radio.

Trump's attacks on the press should give anyone who got higher than a D in History class significant pause.

Snipe, if you have any question about the fact that bias cuts both ways, try watching a bit of Lou Dobbs in the evening. That guy is so far right I expect him to fall out of his chair.

Liberal bias exists but is exaggerated. Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes are admitted Progressives, but they do some of the best honest interviews on television. Hayes did a very good interview with Mark Sandford last night (he's an R).

I mean really, when the president gets up and says he won the EC by the largest margin since Reagan, and the media disproves it, is that media bias? Is it fake news to refute that which is demonstrably false?

Be careful you guys, there are people out to trick you by slight of hand.

02/21/2017 09:58 AM

Sniper

Originally posted by: RustyTruck Journalism is not dead, it's just been commercialized and badly compromised by consumer demands. People want to see "news" that agrees with their world view. And there are plenty of business people disguised as journalists who are more than happy to give it to them, truth be damned. Before you guys get cranked up with the whole "main stream media" thing, I'll remind you that some of the most biased quasi-news available in USA is "Fox News" and AM radio.

What kind of understanding do you have of journalism?

So, Fox News has "news" during the day on most days and they have opinion shows during the evenings. The opinion shows make no secret of their biases. They do not claim to be independent. They typically do invite people with other points of views and give them the opportunity to debate. Fox does not have Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly posing as an impartial news reporter in the middle of the day or working the Sunday shows.

MSNBC, CNN, and others use Chris Matthews and all their other opinion piece guys to also report their journalistic news.

That's the difference.

No doubt that Fox leans right but they give far more voice to the left than MSNBC gives to the right.

AM radio is straight-up opinion. I don't know anyone who listens to AM radio and thinks they are listening to an independent news reporter.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

02/21/2017 10:13 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

yes, news and journalism are not the same thing.
News ought to be just the facts.

Journalism always has an agenda, to challenge the power, to refute the lies.
When a liar of this magnitude has power, it is their duty to oppose him at every lie.

Fox was created to blur those lines. Thier news is biased right, their opinion also so in the extreme.

(they are doing better with the first lately)

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 02/21/2017 11:48 AM

3rdworldlover

Journalism is dead on the main US cable "news" networks. They've all adopted the entertainment model developed by Fox.
 02/21/2017 12:11 PM

Sniper

Fox was born because America was sick and tired of the "entertainment model" created by CNN and others. Larry King and others were boring America to death.

Yeah, Fox created the "entertainment model" lol! This shit isn't news. It is gossip.

02/21/2017 12:30 PM

RustyTruck

I'll pass on the "who's more biased" pissing contest, and make a couple suggestions.

1. Fox (or Faux) is "mainstream media". It has been for years.
2. If you want to know the truth get used to considering the source of everything you see, read, or hear.
3. Look to international sources.
4. Independently verify anything that "smells funny". Check other sources.

I've seen all sorts of things reported in a biased fashion from all sides.

If it's been fashioned into a meme, no matter how much it makes you smile, it's probably BS.

One more thing, you should check out the next time Rachel Maddow or Chris Hayes interview someone from the right. You might be surprised how respectful they are and how sincere they are in terms of interviewing them. Maddow/Conway was quite good.

Hayes is sharp and stays on point even when guests are evasive and even insulting; he doesn't take the bait.

02/21/2017 12:40 PM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: RustyTruck I'll pass on the "who's more biased" pissing contest, and make a couple suggestions. 1. Fox (or Faux) is "mainstream media". It has been for years. 2. If you want to know the truth get used to considering the source of everything you see, read, or hear. 3. Look to international sources. 4. Independently verify anything that "smells funny". Check other sources. I've seen all sorts of things reported in a biased fashion from all sides. If it's been fashioned into a meme, no matter how much it makes you smile, it's probably BS.

Can't count on international news either. Every bit as bad, if not worse, as what we have here. Best course is to get on the internet and read a half dozen sources on a topic and you will start getting a true picture. I blow my 10 (30, when I spread them around on three of my devices) free articles from the WP and NYT every, single month, even though I am highly skeptical of both. For the lazy, Real Clear Politics has a good mix.

02/21/2017 12:49 PM

RustyTruck

Lately I'm enjoying the electronic version of WoPo. But I like BBC a lot.

Either way, increase your sample size and you'll get more valid and reliable results.

02/21/2017 01:25 PM

SlimyBritches

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Hate to break the news to you, slimy old buddy, but I am not destroyed. Quite the contrary, I am thriving.

It's not ALL about you Tpapski.
 02/21/2017 01:28 PM

SlimyBritches

I didn't read the title. I just googled "CNN shuts down rep asshole" and VOILA! But it did destroy the FLS' mouth pieces. I figgered that it wouldn't do crap to his "supporters" since the majority have a hard time with words over 4 letters. To those who watched, did you see Kellyann begging to be asked a question before they got shut off?
 02/21/2017 02:01 PM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: SlimyBritches
Originally posted by: tpapablo Hate to break the news to you, slimy old buddy, but I am not destroyed. Quite the contrary, I am thriving.

It's not ALL about you Tpapski.

It is for me.

02/21/2017 02:11 PM

tpapablo

Journalism always has an agenda, to challenge the power, to refute the lies.
When a liar of this magnitude has power, it is their duty to oppose him at every lie.

They forgot that agenda and duty when the PiC was president, it would seem. Ah well, the mainstream press is extremely biased and that is just the reality that we live with.

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .