Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: It's not the immigrants who will take your jobs
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/20/2017 09:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/20/2017 09:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

It's the robots.

"Automation is going to cause unemployment and we need to prepare for it"
-Mark Cuban

"The most near-term impact from a technology standpoint is autonomous cars ... That is going to happen much faster than people realise and it's going to be a great convenience.
But there are many people whose jobs are to drive. In fact, I think it might be the single largest employer of people ... Driving in various forms. So we need to figure out new roles for what do those people do, but it will be very disruptive and very quick,"
- Elon Musk

According to Bill Gates, if a robot is going to do a human's job, it should also pay a person's income taxes:
"If a human worker does $50,000 of work in a factory, that income is taxed," "If a robot comes in to do the same thing, you'd think we'd tax the robot at a similar level."

CNBC

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 02/20/2017 09:34 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

If we taxed all the work that got done with the assistance of Bill Gates' code, he might not be retired yet.

If he had to pay end users for all the free debugging they've done of his products, he might just be "average" wealthy.

I'm not sure what "faster than people realise" means to Musk, but it may not be "practical" (thus, safe enough to be permitted) until ALL vehicles have some kind of smart technology in them. What I mean is a autonomous smart car can't depend solely own sensors; the cars around them (human-driven, including antiques, motorcycles, clunkers, etc...) all have some sort of transponder in order for all cars to communicate.

If were around these kinds of vehicles in city traffic, I'd wear an RF transponder on my head just for safety.
 02/20/2017 09:40 AM

SuperTeeBird

Joined Forum: 12/08/2016

If we don't do something about no more factory jobs in the near future we'll have people in the streets.

Yeah, someone has to build and repair the robots, but that's a lot fewer people.

This is why we need a technocrat and not a Forrest Trump.

02/20/2017 09:59 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: SuperTeeBird If we don't do something about no more factory jobs in the near future we'll have people in the streets.

Yeah, someone has to build and repair the robots, but that's a lot fewer people.

This is why we need a technocrat and not a Forrest Trump.

Oh, I don't know. Folks were saying that when the industrial revolution hit. Not a bad thing to give the situation some thought, but I think it is a bit premature to start predicting that we will all be unemployed in the near future. 

Now, as far as immigrants are concerned, I'd say that if this is to be our future, we would want to restrict immigration pretty tightly. Do we want more people sitting around unemployed than what we would already have?

I :heart; Q
 02/20/2017 10:07 AM

WG

I think Elon is right about the pace of the tech, but it will probably deploy much more slowly than he thinks exactly because of the sort of pushback Joe described.
I used to really hate Gates because of the mess Microsoft made and how its dominance slowed down computing progress.

But that's mostly over now and I am very inspired by how he has decided to use his wealth, now I follow what he does and says closely.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 02/20/2017 10:18 AM

SuperTeeBird

MS is doing a lot better without him...in terms of their products. Not sure if that's related to him or not. It certainly seems like the company has more vision.

02/20/2017 10:24 AM

WG

one more (thanks, lawless)

"The automation of factories has already decimated jobs in traditional manufacturing, and the rise of artificial intelligence is likely to extend this job destruction deep into the middle classes, with only the most caring, creative or supervisory roles remaining."
- Stephen Hawking

A better article on the same theme from medium

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 02/20/2017 10:59 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

New York Times, today, has a report from the Texas oil patch.  The famed Permian Basin, which has been producing oil for a century, and revived when fracking was introduced, is now producing more oil with far fewer workers, but lots more highly-skillled input from people with math/computer skills and lots of sensors and robotic controls to replace humans.  The cost of production has plummeted in just a few years.  

02/20/2017 11:49 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Unlike the industrial revolution, we are entering a time where mankind is merging with machine and where we can manipulate our very genetic code easily to control our own evolution. The transportation industry jobs will not come back, ever, once they are lost. They will not be replaced with something else either. Oh maybe a bit of it will be here and there, but nowhere near the scope of what is lost.

Oh as far as Microsoft goes, they and Apple have completely switched places in the industry. 

02/20/2017 12:04 PM

SuperTeeBird

We will adapt just as we always have and some will suffer, but probably not like WWII.

Re: MS vs Apple. Apple does phones and solid general-use computers, MS does development frameworks, touchscreen desktops and a monster all-purpose OS. And then there is Google.

Edited: 02/20/2017 at 12:21 PM by SuperTeeBird
 02/20/2017 12:05 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

So if we degrade or dismantle the public education system, ignore soaring costs of post-secondary education, and watch low skilled jobs dwindle due to technology, the middle (trump country) is still in trouble no matter how many people you deport or deny entry.

Germany in particular has a very sophisticated technical training system, they are turning out some of the most highly skilled technical workers in the world, and it's free or close to it.

USA not so much.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 02/20/2017 12:10 PM

WG

The obvious truth of this is the reason many conservative thinkers are toying with the idea of a universal basic income.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 02/20/2017 12:12 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

Just wait til they become SELF AWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 02/20/2017 12:17 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 02/20/2017 12:18 PM

SuperTeeBird

Originally posted by: WG The obvious truth of this is the reason many conservative thinkers are toying with the idea of a universal basic income.

Which could save money even now.

02/20/2017 12:22 PM

SuperTeeBird

Originally posted by: Bamboo

Rutger Hauer for president.

02/20/2017 12:31 PM

Bamboo

That would be cool.  He would be much better than President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 02/20/2017 12:35 PM

SuperTeeBird

Not Sure.

02/20/2017 12:50 PM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Originally posted by: WG The obvious truth of this is the reason many conservative thinkers are toying with the idea of a universal basic income.

Yes, this will eventually forced upon humanity whether or not we like it.

02/20/2017 12:52 PM

Bamboo

Not Sure?  Being the smartest man alive, he would be better, too! 

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .