Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Hey Mr or Miss Athiest! Are you smarter than ....
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/26/2016 06:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/26/2016 08:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Originally posted by: waveaddict Dear Friends, There's a depressing new Pew Survey out, showing that about a quarter of Americans have no affiliation with any religion, and 49% of those who left their church or religion say they "don't believe" anymore.

The only thing depressing about it is that there aren't enough people turning away from silly superstitious beliefs and religions.

08/26/2016 08:16 AM

miker

Originally posted by: 3rdworldlover Do we need religion in order to see "the miraculous nature of so many things all around us in the universe?" I define atheists as agitated agnostics. They've experienced or witnessed something negative about religion, and/or some have been made to feel victimized, judged, abandoned, outcast, deceived, manipulated...

Everyone, including the religious have witnessed something negative about religion. It is quite impossible to exist in the current world we live in without seeing the impact of religious extremism.

I really don't understand you view point on atheism though. It is rather naive.

08/26/2016 08:18 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

His whole statement was pretty dang good! 

08/26/2016 08:19 AM

miker

Personally, I firmly believe that religious ideology is holding humanity back from the next stage of human evolution. This occurs directly when the ideology itself conflicts with advancement and indirectly when the it causes misplaced priorities.

08/26/2016 08:20 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: miker
The only thing depressing about it is that there aren't enough people turning away from silly superstitious beliefs and religions.

To expand on what I said earlier, the religion/relationship/faith is formed from and can really only survive based on one's experience.

Introduced by teachers and parents, yes, but if one's faith grows rather than withers in light of experience and examination, I can say you may have come to a different conclusion based on the same examination, but I can't say you had the same experience.

And your experience, or lack of one, does not invalidate or disprove mine.

I have no trouble admitting the basis for my faith is experiential, not scientific. I also have no trouble recognizing that scientific explanation is lacking in many aspects of our existence.

Originally posted by: Greensleeves
His whole statement was pretty dang good!

I actually agree with that.
 08/26/2016 08:25 AM

Cole

There is a being or a thing or a force floating around somewhere and you can't escape it, because it reads your thoughts too?

-------------------------
I was right.
 08/26/2016 08:40 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

The basis for my "faith" is entirely experiential.
The basis for my understanding of reality is entirely scientific.
No conflict.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 08/26/2016 08:45 AM

Cole

Your faith is.......faith.

I was right.
 08/26/2016 08:46 AM

DaveFL76

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

Originally posted by: miker
Originally posted by: waveaddict Dear Friends, There's a depressing new Pew Survey out, showing that about a quarter of Americans have no affiliation with any religion, and 49% of those who left their church or religion say they "don't believe" anymore.

That was my initial thought, too.
 08/26/2016 08:47 AM

miker

So you have experienced something you attribute to a higher power. I never have despite years of being faithful. 

08/26/2016 08:49 AM

WG

I am not at all religious, nor superstitious.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 08/26/2016 08:51 AM

miker

Should of quoted so it was obvious who I was responding to ...RJ

08/26/2016 08:56 AM

GsusSurfs

Joined Forum: 03/15/2011

A scientist's study on the probability that Jesus is the Messiah ReadIfYouReallyWantToKnow

Jesus invented surfing...
Matthew 14:22-33

www.facebook.com/churchonthebeach

08/26/2016 09:01 AM

WG

I see no science there.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 08/26/2016 09:03 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Shoehorning, confirmation bias, and wishful thinking aren't science?

08/26/2016 09:05 AM

GsusSurfs

Originally posted by: WG I see no science there.

Statistics isn't a science?  It's the science of analyzing data, and it was performed by an accomplished scientist:

Peter Stoner (June 16, 1888 – March 21, 1980)[1][2] was Chairman of the Departments of Mathematics and Astronomy at Pasadena City College until 1953; Chairman of the science division, Westmont College, 1953–57; Professor Emeritus of Science, Westmont College; Professor Emeritus of Mathematics and Astronomy, Pasadena City College. (from wiki)

08/26/2016 09:08 AM

WG

No, just math, just comparing words in books.
No evidence, no experiment, no observations of reality.
No data
No science.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 08/26/2016 09:12 AM

miker

Originally posted by: GsusSurfs
Originally posted by: WG I see no science there.

Statistics isn't a science?  It's the science of analyzing data, and it was performed by an accomplished scientist:

Peter Stoner (June 16, 1888 – March 21, 1980)[1][2] was Chairman of the Departments of Mathematics and Astronomy at Pasadena City College until 1953; Chairman of the science division, Westmont College, 1953–57; Professor Emeritus of Science, Westmont College; Professor Emeritus of Mathematics and Astronomy, Pasadena City College. (from wiki)  

Oh boy.

How can you not understand that this is not science?

Determining probability based on prophecy is hilarious though. Was the author suffering from dementia when he wrote this?

08/26/2016 09:29 AM

GsusSurfs

Come on guys, don't let your bias keep you from acknowledging that the Bible is the most historically accurate book on the planet.  You do know scientists have used it like a map to discover some of the most amazing archeological (sp?) dicoveries of all time, right?  That it called the earth round long before science caught up to disprove the "scientists" that called it flat, right?  On a supernatural level do you know about equidistant letter sequencing?  That if you take the original ancient Hebrew text and skip an equidistant number, say like 50, and skip every 50 letters that it spells out the names of the first few dozen generations of the kings of Israel.  There's a whole 'nother dimension of the Bible that's way beyond what we can fathom.   

At the end of the day though it's still faith.  Faith is easy, the flavor of faith is rest, and we all have it.  Believer, non-believer, athiest, agnostic, it doesn't matter.  It's just a matter of where you're placing it.  You place it in not believing, I place it in Christ.  God reveals Himself to all of us.  The heavens declare Him.  All know the truth.  

The beauty of Jesus Christ is that even when I reject Him, His love and and grace is such that He rejects our rejection of Him.  Our right-standing with God, and our acceptace by Him, has nothing to do with us.  The Bible says it's the "faith of the Son of God" that gives us life.  In other words God the Son became flesh and is the vicarious response on behalf of all of humanity before the Father.  He put us in right-standing with Himself.  His life, death, resurrection, and FAITH saves us.  Rather, He IS salvation.  These are all quotes from the Bible by the way which I'd encourage you to read.  It's not for God's benefit or approval, you already have that because of Jesus.  It's for our benefit and enjoyment that we uncover and discover this amazing God and what He's done, not just for us but TO us.  He's woven us into His very life and love.  The kingdom is within you!  He's closer than you think.  How radical!

08/26/2016 09:30 AM

Cole

If the OT told someone where something should be built, then future generations built it, is that really prophesy?

I was right.
FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Hey Mr or Miss Athiest! Are you smarter than ....

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .