Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: We need more guns!!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/29/2016 06:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/29/2016 06:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

No, we fcking don't.

When is enough enough?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...ters-article-1.2687929

-------------------------
I was right.
 06/29/2016 07:15 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Having firearms handy sometimes means a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 06/29/2016 07:30 PM

Cole

My family has had firearms for generations, but this sht is getting old.

I'm about over it and I'm sure I'm not he only one.

I was right.
 06/29/2016 07:36 PM

foam ball

Joined Forum: 06/01/2005

Sad story. Unfortunately when someone has rationalized this idea and decided to act it's probably too late. The gun was a convenience for her but probably not a necessity.

Read this one. Lots of f'd up pepole in this world.

mom drowns children

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Yates

Can't get the link to work on this site.
 06/29/2016 08:53 PM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

"It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away," Sheats wrote in March on her Facebook page, "but that's exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns."

Horribly tragic

Seems the risk of owning a gun often far outweighs the benefits.
I often think of getting rid of mine, but the thought of home invasion still wins.
This lady probably thought she had it together too, like we all do.
But emotions and/or mental illness can get the best of anyone, with a quickness

Edited: 06/29/2016 at 09:00 PM by 3rdworldlover
 06/30/2016 03:42 AM

Cole

What does the next generation think about firearms?

If we do nothing now, what will they do in the future?

I was right.
 06/30/2016 04:52 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: Cole

Instead of doing nothing now, part of what we need to do is teach them responsible use.

My dad had a riflery class in high school, and also earned shooting badges in Boy Scouts.

My brother and I learned from him, and my bro is a federal firearms instructor.

I taught my son at the local range. He also earned the Boy Scouts shooting badge, and we refresh at the range every few months.

Meanwhile, this just happened a few days ago in liberal Oregon:
Portland mom shoots home intruder

Another piece of the pie is funding for law enforcement. I'll have to find the link when I get to my other computer, but the article was a decent summary about additional funding in the Clinton/Bush2 era resulted in more charges and prosecutions and convictions, which tapered off in 2006 and continued to the present.

The crux of that article was that there are enough laws already against violent crime, but not always enough cops or money to enforce them.

And of course, if people quit committing crimes, we wouldn't need so much policing and funding.

Edit: Update to add the link (worth reading)
CNBC

Edited: 06/30/2016 at 07:15 AM by RegularJoe
 06/30/2016 05:18 AM

foam ball

Joined Forum: 06/01/2005

No idea how anyone could decide to hurt their own children
The link I posted above is of a mom who drowned all 5 of her kids in the bathtub. Wtf is wrong with people?
 06/30/2016 06:01 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Teaching responsible gun ownership and use is probably a better option than abstinence only. It works in highly regulated gun cultures like Switzerland.

Of course that is a far different strategy than that advocated by the American gun lobby in which regulations such as registries, background checks, and load limits meet strong opposition.

The gun lobby likes to point at a country like Switzerland where there is a gun in every closet and gun violence is relatively low. What they fail to tell you is that military service is pretty much compulsory for men and that they can keep their service weapon. The government then knows who has what gun and that the people that have the guns have been trained properly. Imagine American gun lobby reaction to compulsory military service and gun registration.

Switzerland is like a place that teaches proper reproductive biology and birth control.

US is like a bunch of free love idiots fucking without a care in the world in the midst of an AIDS and unplanned pregnancy epidemic.

06/30/2016 06:54 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Maybe we should follow the Swiss and Israelis with compulsary military service--it would also cut down on the inner city crime and welfare by teaching skills.

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 06/30/2016 08:39 AM

RustyTruck

This story makes me feel sick inside.

I can't think of any specific law or anything that would have prevented it. Something was very wrong with the mother, and mental illness is a bitch. There's no blood test, vaccination, or procedure you can have that will manage it easily. It often goes undetected, and can exist like a ticking time bomb.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 06/30/2016 08:48 AM

RustyTruck

"Jason Sheats told police his wife suffered from depression, Nehls said. She was taking "numerous" prescription medications and seeing a therapist. She had been admitted to a private mental health facility three times in recent years for attempted suicide, Nehls said.

Jason Sheats told police that his wife of more than 20 years began a "downward spiral" after the 2012 death of her beloved grandfather, from whom she received the gun, Nehls said. Her mother died two months later, worsening her condition."

-CNN

06/30/2016 09:51 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Agreed, the story leaves one feeling sick.

Barely a year ago, much closed to home, a Palm Bay mom fatally stabbed her 3 kids:
http://www.floridatoday.com/st...t-appearance/25178373/
 06/30/2016 11:55 AM

RustyTruck

The only thing I can think of that might help would be a bit more publicity, especially in the gun community, about when it can be appropriate to get weapons out of a house.

During times of marital distress, depression, teens with any psych issues, etc. there should be some way to do some temporary disarmament, hopefully without bringing the State into the equation.

06/30/2016 11:56 AM

havanabama

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

My dad was a cop, RIP, my brother is a cop. We were raised inTennessee. I grew up with all kinds of guns, hunted and range shot. I used to have a sniper rifle but sold it to a gun collector, I don't need a sniper rifle and no one does. Too bad AR-15 owners don't think like that. I have only a CCW 380. I think Joe Biden is correct, all anyone needs is a shotgun. The cats out of the bag on gun control because there are just too many guns in the country and there are too many stupid people to change it. Get used to the new normal. sad but true.

Ah, religion, bigotry dressed up as morality.
 06/30/2016 12:24 PM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

How does your .380 work for 600 yard target shooting?

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 06/30/2016 12:32 PM

Wookie

Joined Forum: 01/12/2015

And an AR-15 cannot do any damage at 1000 yds.  Ask FK.

Wiki wiki

06/30/2016 02:49 PM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

Maybe we should follow the Swiss and Israelis with compulsary military service--it would also cut down on the inner city crime and welfare by teaching skills.

Actually this is not a bad idea cranky.

For a young person with no skills, family support or hope, joining the military is a good career path.
 06/30/2016 06:13 PM

Cole

Aren't Florida doctors barred for asking if there is a firearm in the home?

Isn't the CDC - through pressure from the NRA - barred for collecting data on guns?

Is the NRA the real enemy?

I was right.
 06/30/2016 07:30 PM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Originally posted by: Cole

Give yours up if you truly believe what you are saying, otherwise I choose to keep mine, I have never shot anyone but still have the right to own them
FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : We need more guns!!

1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146498 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .