Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Pushback agains the incompetent
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/26/2016 05:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/26/2016 05:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

05/26/2016 06:12 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

BALTIMORE - Two Baltimore police officers facing criminal charges in the death of a young black man whose neck was broken in the back of a police van have sued the city's top prosecutor and an official in the sheriff's office for defamation.

Good luck with that. I believe the Justice Dept. is also investigating the Baltimore Police.

-------------------------
“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 05/26/2016 07:07 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

As well they should. This was a BS prosecution from the get go.

I :heart; Q
 05/26/2016 07:45 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

You mean odumbos Lynch mob is investigating the Police?

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 05/26/2016 07:48 AM

RustyTruck

Funny stuff. Lynch is investigating the Lynch mob.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 05/26/2016 07:51 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Man goes in the police van lafter foot chase and police release this:

"Briefing the media on the results of an autopsy on Monday, Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez said Gray "did suffer a very tragic injury to his spinal cord which resulted in his death".

Mr Murphy said that Gray's "spine was 80% severed at his neck"."

Are the Tea Party nut jobs asserting that no investigation was needed?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32400497

05/26/2016 07:56 AM

RustyTruck

"Running while black is not probable cause"

05/26/2016 08:31 AM

tpapablo

The dude wasn't fastened in with a seat belt. That's not a crime, much less is it murder.

And, no, no investigation by the feds is needed. That is pure political horse crap from the PiC and is a waste of money that should go to more serious things, like crooked Hillary's treasonous e-mail dealings.

05/26/2016 09:02 AM

Greensleeves

Feds go into Ferguson...  Americans rights restored in the face of ages old bigotry and prejudice.

Tea Partiers showing their true bigoted colors.

05/26/2016 10:17 AM

johnnyboy

From a lawyer's perspective, Tpap, what would you call the failure to transport a suspect to the jail without killing him? Lets talk about the legal levels for your non lawyer friends. You can start with murder. Its at the very top of the spectrum of possibilities. At the very bottom is mere negligence, nothing criminal, just unfortunate incompetence. In between, you have criminal negligence, or what we Floridians call culpable negligence, manslaughter, and second degree murder, which does not require intent, only reckless disregard for life where death or great bodily harm is foreseeable. So, you don't know much, but you do know there was no legal probable cause for his arrest. You know he was arrested for no good reason and you know he should have been delivered to the jail in the same condition he was arrested. Now tell me again why you think there is literally nothing criminal here?

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/26/2016 10:29 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

From a lawyer's perspective, Tpap
jb

Seems to me that the tampon , while being an actual attorney, uses this here 2L surf forum in a different capacity.

I was in court yesterday. My partner's daughter is an Assistant State's Attorney in Polk County. We went to watch her be first chair on a case. Girl kicked ass. Seems a drug dealing, gun toting scum bag was up on a few felonies. Defense attorney was a private practice . ( not a public defender ) It was her first case as lead. She nailed it. Guilty on all charges. The cops on this case really had their stuff together. Much better than watching a Law and Order rerun.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 05/26/2016 11:25 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: johnnyboy From a lawyer's perspective, Tpap, what would you call the failure to transport a suspect to the jail without killing him? Lets talk about the legal levels for your non lawyer friends. You can start with murder. Its at the very top of the spectrum of possibilities. At the very bottom is mere negligence, nothing criminal, just unfortunate incompetence. In between, you have criminal negligence, or what we Floridians call culpable negligence, manslaughter, and second degree murder, which does not require intent, only reckless disregard for life where death or great bodily harm is foreseeable. So, you don't know much, but you do know there was no legal probable cause for his arrest. You know he was arrested for no good reason and you know he should have been delivered to the jail in the same condition he was arrested. Now tell me again why you think there is literally nothing criminal here?

Up to this point, the only certainty I have seen in this matter is an incredibly rushed indictment of these cops. I have seen nor heard of any facts that indicate that a crime was committed. None. That the criminal didn't make it to the jail alive tells us nothing.

Two juries have agreed with me so far.

05/26/2016 03:55 PM

Cole

They have a known habit of banging around unsecured prisoners in the back of the wagon.

How will that factor into the decision?

I was right.
 05/26/2016 04:23 PM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Originally posted by: johnnyboy From a lawyer's perspective, Tpap, what would you call the failure to transport a suspect to the jail without killing him? Lets talk about the legal levels for your non lawyer friends. You can start with murder. Its at the very top of the spectrum of possibilities. At the very bottom is mere negligence, nothing criminal, just unfortunate incompetence. In between, you have criminal negligence, or what we Floridians call culpable negligence, manslaughter, and second degree murder, which does not require intent, only reckless disregard for life where death or great bodily harm is foreseeable. So, you don't know much, but you do know there was no legal probable cause for his arrest. You know he was arrested for no good reason and you know he should have been delivered to the jail in the same condition he was arrested. Now tell me again why you think there is literally nothing criminal here?

Up to this point, the only certainty I have seen in this matter is an incredibly rushed indictment of these cops. I have seen nor heard of any facts that indicate that a crime was committed. None. That the criminal didn't make it to the jail alive tells us nothing.

Two juries have agreed with me so far.

Sounds reasonable. In 1955 Mississippi.

05/27/2016 05:01 AM

johnnyboy

An incredibly rushed indictment? What facts were you looking for that constipated this process. The victim had his spinal cord severed while handcuffed during a routine transport. He was not attacking anyone, he could not present a credible threat of violence nor was one alleged. His arrest was for no good reason legally and yet here you sit hoping more analysis will lead to paralysis. I guess you think that justice delayed will be justice denied.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/27/2016 05:50 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: tpapablo

The dude wasn't fastened in with a seat belt. That's not a crime, much less is it murder.

A wise man once said, click it or ticket, just sayin.....

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 05/27/2016 09:19 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: johnnyboy
His arrest was for no good reason legally

There was some gray area (no pun intended) regarding whether the concealed knife he was carrying was legal or not.

The city of Baltimore has more strict limitations than the state of Maryland on both the size and spring-operated behavior of knives.

Decent article (and one of many which do not agree)

Attorneys for two of the officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray have filed motions to inspect the knife he was carrying at the time of his arrest. They argue the knife was illegal and, as a result, Gray's arrest was lawful.

Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby has said the knife was legal under Maryland law, meaning that police had no reason to detain him. ...

Court documents say it was a "spring-assisted, one-hand-operated knife." Mosby has said the knife was not a switchblade. Switchblades are illegal in Maryland, but the law is even stricter in Baltimore.

"Baltimore City has a law that says it's not only illegal to have a switchblade, but it's also illegal to have a spring-action knife," said Andrew Alperstein, a defense attorney.

Again, Mosby has said the knife was legal. So has an attorney for the Gray family, calling the allegation a "sideshow." Gray was carrying a "pocket knife of legal size," according to attorney William Murphy.

But the police investigation found that the knife was illegal under Baltimore city code.

With that in mind, police might not have had the resources to explicitly determine legality of said knife in the field.

In addition, Gray's 18 prior arrests in 8 years may have biased police to think a trip downtown was necessary to sort the details out.

Still no excuse for violating seatbelt and safety procedures.

Brevard prison system had to force-feed murderer William Cruse to make sure he didn't die in their custody. (And it made for a great song by Dead Serios.)

05/27/2016 10:21 AM

RustyTruck

I don't really have an issue with him being detailed, although I carry an "assisted opening" pocketknife myself on any given day in my "Dad shorts" (as my sons call them).

The problem is that a person does not under any circumstances I can envision spontaneously suffer a fatal neck fracture/spinal cord injury in the police van without there being a violent accident.

I think there's probable cause for homicide.

05/27/2016 03:15 PM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

I don't really have an issue with him being detailed, although I carry an "assisted opening" pocketknife myself on any given day in my "Dad shorts" (as my sons call them).

The problem is that a person does not under any circumstances I can envision spontaneously suffer a fatal neck fracture/spinal cord injury in the police van without there being a violent accident.

I think there's probable cause for homicide.

Cameras in the back of the vans will tell the truth
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .