Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The Sanders long game
Topic Summary: And how a Trump win facilitated by the left insurgency fits in
Created On: 05/19/2016 10:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/19/2016 10:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

So I'm minding my business with Rachel Maddow in the background last evening and along comes a story about Bernie activists who have this "new/novel" idea to run a national strategy aimed at gaining control of Congress in the 2018 mid-term. I use quotes because I think the R's have done this effectively already, but this would be a more formalized approach. A strong unified platform, and vote for your local candidate who's part of the movement. One campaign, hundreds of candidates.

OK, fine. But then it hit me. For this to work, they need Trump to win. I don't see how the strategy is compatible with a Hilldog presidency. In fact, a Hilldog win with support from the D insurgency would destroy/discredit the movement who see H as representing the Man.

On the other hand, if Hill wins the nomination and they have to listen to Wassermann-Schultz up there gushing about how they have to unite around the anointed candidate, all they have to do is walk away. The party machine gets a heaping spoonful of "F you" from the hipster youth, and the stage is set.

The bet is that Trump is probably tricking the insurgent right and will emerge later representing the R party line, and/or will be completely unable or unwilling to fulfill his promises to the unwashed republican masses, and will look like a total ass clown on the world stage.

The gamble is whether or not progressive social advances can survive the ensuing firestorm.

But if Trump turns out to be the douche the left thinks he is, and 2 years in has become a laughingstock, the die could be cast for massive gains in the mid term election led by a massive movement of Sandernistas either through takeover of the D party after a 2016 flop or even a third party making some overtures toward the jilted working class right.

Interesting times, folks. Interesting times.

-------------------------
Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 05/19/2016 10:26 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Whoa, pretty cool. I wish I could do it all over again. I'd love to be a political strategist. I had the opportunity not so long ago to listen to Karl Rove speak and to have lunch with him. The plotting, conniving and intrigue is fascinating.

Bernie has come a long way. I had never heard of him until he got on the ballot. I would think that Debbie is a very key person in this race. For the Dems to win they must have some degree of unity. If Clinton can eke this out Debbie will have to broker something between Bernie and Clinton . ( VP ?)

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 05/19/2016 10:46 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

But if Trump turns out to be the douche the left thinks he is, and 2 years in has become a laughingstock, the die could be cast for massive gains in the mid term election

It's possible. After 2 years, the PiC had become a laughingstock and that is what happened.

I :heart; Q
 05/19/2016 10:54 AM

Wookie

Joined Forum: 01/12/2015

Yet that does nothing for the sad truth that we live in a nation of Trump supporters.

Where's underwood and his inverted flag?

Wiki wiki

05/19/2016 12:31 PM

RustyTruck

This election should be a walk in the park for the D's, except the candidate AND party chair are two of the most unlikable people imaginable. Both have facial expressions that just ooze arrogance and insincerity.

With Drumpf closing and now in one poll ahead of Clinton, Clinton clearly with the party edge over Sanders, but Sanders polling well ahead of Drumpf, rather than the D machine being able to say to Bernie's kids that if they don't vote for Hillary it's a vote for Drumpf, THEY can say to the Democratic Party that a (delegate) vote for HILLARY is a vote for Drumpf.

Tables are getting turned, and all bets are off.

Strangely enough, when I read the bubbles in my beer I could see the re-birth of a traditional R party after the Tea Party has played out in a disastrous Drumpf presidency, maybe headed by Romney and/or any of the traditionalists who refuse to goose step behind Drumpf.

I was leaning toward a D vote as a nose held vote against fascism. But... what if we have to blow it up to save it?

I could never vote for Drumpf, but I could write in Bernie and flip the bird at W-Schultz and the Machine.

I might have to sleep with my eyes open.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

05/19/2016 12:51 PM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Good observation on the Tea Party.

Oh the media wants the drama.  Don't buy in Rusty.  Some of the networks have taken to using survey monkey polls or "no probability" polls in order to make this look like a race.  Once things get sorted out and people get to look at the menu they make the right choice.  Debates will happen.   

Based on the electoral college and the people in this state being crazy (as evidenced by our two term Governor) your vote won't count anyway.

05/19/2016 05:37 PM

RustyTruck

I hope you're right. I'm not sure I can roll those dice.

05/20/2016 04:40 AM

Cole

1) Almost half of people under 25 aren't registered to vote, this is bad if Bernie takes the title.

2) A great deal of Trump supporters either don't vote or aren't even registered.

I was right.
 05/20/2016 05:50 AM

johnnyboy

I think the reluctant republicans would rather have Hillary and keep senate than trump.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/20/2016 06:35 AM

Greensleeves

Truth johnnyboy   though if they gain  a Prez and lose the Senate (could that happen?) the country should still be able to maintain.

Hope you are right about the registration Cole.  That would be sweet irony.

05/20/2016 06:48 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Getting nervous, are you, progs? Where are the confident progs who were saying that a Trump nomination meant a sure Hillary win?

I :heart; Q
 05/20/2016 12:42 PM

havanabama

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Best well thought out thread in a while! Good on ya mates!

Ah, religion, bigotry dressed up as morality.
 05/20/2016 02:46 PM

johnnyboy

I continue to maintain that trunp loses and Hillary wins. Confidently.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/20/2016 07:40 PM

RustyTruck

I hope you're right. I think it might all come down to Bernie. Is he playing for party leverage and will bring his people for the sure win?

Or does he and his people let these children with matches set the house on fire and hope the FD gets there in time?

The trump people aren't smart enough to do anything different. The Hillary people are Hillary people.

It could be on the hipsters to save or cripple America.

05/20/2016 07:46 PM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Getting nervous, are you, progs? Where are the confident progs who were saying that a Trump nomination meant a sure Hillary win?

I'll admit I underestimated the stupidity of many Republicans. They might actually vote for this television clown.

05/23/2016 05:23 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

05/24/2016 05:20 PM

RustyTruck

http://go.berniesanders.com/pa...crats?source=fb160524

I'm telling you, Bernie is looking to Bern it down and rebuild it. He may be angling to use Trump to drive the populist movement to the social democrats.

Two years of trump might make Bernie and Liz look damn good.

05/25/2016 02:30 AM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Limpballs was saying yesterday how it is Obama's fault that Trump is now the exGOP's candidate.  

Makes for good radio entertainment, I guess.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 05/25/2016 04:40 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: Bamboo

Limpballs was saying yesterday how it is Obama's fault that Trump is now the exGOP's candidate.  

Makes for good radio entertainment, I guess.

Will republicans ever take blame for anything?

T-pap, I still have the $100 if you are that confident.

I was right.
 05/25/2016 05:34 AM

johnnyboy

If tpap puts his money where his mouth is we will all be surprised. And $100 richer.

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .