Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Does anyone care?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/27/2016 02:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/27/2016 02:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

follydude

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Fish kill in Florida: 'Heartbreaking images' seen for miles

CNN)Florida may be the fishing capital of the world, but you'd never know it from the latest scenes around the state's Indian River Lagoon.

Usually idyllic beaches, waterways and estuaries near the massive, biodiverse ecosystem along central Florida's Atlantic coast are littered with scores of dead, rotting fish; an estimated hundreds of thousands of them are floating belly up in brackish, polluted water as far as the eye can see.

"The heartbreaking images can be seen for miles," said Mike Conner, who has been fishing the area since the 1970s. "All up and down the coast, it's the same story, and it could get worse before it gets better."

But the devastation isn't merely what is visible on the surface; it runs far deeper.

El Nino has soaked Florida recently, even during its usual "dry season."
In January, parts of central Florida received triple the amount of rain they normally do for the month. All that rainwater eventually made its way into estuaries via urbanized neighborhoods, picking up fertilizer and other pollutants along the way.

But that's not all.

Temperatures were warmer than usual during the winter, allowing a toxic algae bloom and brown tide to deplete the water of oxygen.

Ed Garland, a spokesman for the St. John River Water Management District, said officials can't determine the effect from the brown tide on the seagrass yet since the water is too cloudy. In 2011, more than half of the seagrass reportedly died off, and there are still damaged areas from that die-off.

These scenes are no doubt jarring to the eyes -- and not to mention the nose -- but state environmental officials said they have happened before.

"Fish kills happen all the time," said Kelly Richmond of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute. "This is a massive kill, but there are fish kills all over the state."

However, Richmond conceded, "We have had brown tide there before but nothing to this extent."

The impact extends beyond the shores of the Indian River Lagoon -- comprised of the Mosquito, Banana River and Indian River lagoons -- and into the pocketbooks of Floridians, especially those in the state's two most profitable industries: tourism and fishing.

"Our oysters are dead, seagrasses are dead," said Conner, the fisherman. "It (will be) hard to recover. You never fully recover."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/25/...-fish-kill/index.html
 03/27/2016 02:53 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Cocoa Beach protest

I nixed the picture because one of our resident douche-bags decided that he needed to make some dumb comments on some guys facial hair. I don't know who the dude in the pic with the soul patch was anyway, but I figured he didn't deserve it.

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill

Edited: 03/30/2016 at 01:12 PM by WG
 03/27/2016 03:10 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I was there with Mrs. Truck doing the protest thing.

Red Fish, not dead fish.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 03/28/2016 05:22 AM

tom

Love the "green lawn / brown river" t-shirt.

Well done!

ban

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway

bumper sticker.png
bumper sticker.png  (103 KB)
 03/28/2016 06:54 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

tpapablo

Does anyone care? No, we all want all fish dead. Don't be ridiculous.

I :heart; Q
 03/28/2016 07:41 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

" I was talking with my pops about what cause this to happen,"All of a sudden" and he said what do you mean, "All of a sudden?" --- sadtrollpanda . Dumbass status - confirmed Thanks for playing, Andrew! 0/5

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 03/28/2016 07:52 AM

Wookie

Joined Forum: 01/12/2015

Originally posted by: tpapablo Does anyone care? No, we all want all fish dead. Don't be ridiculous.

Given everything else you have spouted on here, I would say you do want that.

Wiki wiki

03/28/2016 08:10 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: bob3000 " I was talking with my pops about what cause this to happen,"All of a sudden" and he said what do you mean, "All of a sudden?" --- sadtrollpanda . Dumbass status - confirmed Thanks for playing, Andrew! 0/5

Did you know there was a dump there? Maybe you could go try to dig up some trash to confirm, better yet, get the hole about six feet deep and lay in it!

I would be happy to help fill it back in once you are nice and comfy!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 03/28/2016 08:56 AM

bob3000

Originally posted by: sleepinDUMBpanda I would be happy to help fill it back in once you are nice and comfy!

Pull up.

03/28/2016 10:53 AM

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

douche-tag
[doosh tag]
NOUN

1. The correct modern name for the male facial hair feature formerly known as a Soul Patch or Dork Tuft.

It consists of a tuft of hair left unshaven just under the lower lip, upper lip and chin are clean shaven. Most often seen on men in their early to late 40's struggling getting through a mid-life crisis, with and without sideburns of varying retarded lengths.

"Nice suit, but unless this job interview is at a comic shop you probably want to go back in the bathroom and shave off that douche tag."

Synonyms: dork tuft - soul patch - blowhard

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
 03/28/2016 11:02 AM

skatensurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2006

Anything wrong with this picture?

how much paper did those folks use for all that signage? will they be repurposing the dead fish they printed out and put on the grass?

would be a great way to decorate some elementary schools i bet the kiddos would love some dead fish hanging up in their classrooms.

Edited: 03/28/2016 at 01:03 PM by skatensurf
 03/28/2016 01:53 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: bob3000
Originally posted by: sleepinDUMBpanda I would be happy to help fill it back in once you are nice and comfy!

Pull up.

Not sure what that means, are you on the cough syrup again!?

I prefer a push-up brah!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 04/07/2016 03:31 AM

bob3000

Originally posted by: Sniper douche-tag [doosh tag] NOUN 1. The correct modern name for the male facial hair feature formerly known as a Soul Patch or Dork Tuft. It consists of a tuft of hair left unshaven just under the lower lip, upper lip and chin are clean shaven. Most often seen on men in their early to late 40's struggling getting through a mid-life crisis, with and without sideburns of varying retarded lengths. "Nice suit, but unless this job interview is at a comic shop you probably want to go back in the bathroom and shave off that douche tag." Synonyms: dork tuft - soul patch - blowhard
Be an expert on mens facial hair, post dancing kitty videos, and then tell others their life is in shambles...mmmmmmmm k.

04/07/2016 06:50 AM

Sniper

Originally posted by: Sniper douche-tag [doosh tag] NOUN 1. The correct modern name for the male facial hair feature formerly known as a Soul Patch or Dork Tuft. It consists of a tuft of hair left unshaven just under the lower lip, upper lip and chin are clean shaven. Most often seen on men in their early to late 40's struggling getting through a mid-life crisis, with and without sideburns of varying retarded lengths. "Nice suit, but unless this job interview is at a comic shop you probably want to go back in the bathroom and shave off that douche tag." Synonyms: dork tuft - soul patch - blowhard
Be an expert on mens facial hair, post dancing kitty videos, and then tell others their life is in shambles...mmmmmmmm k.

If you have never seen that video before, it is probably because you are old AF.

I really must have struck a venti nerve for you to go digging up week old posts, over a day later.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

04/07/2016 09:41 AM

bob3000

Originally posted by: Sniper I really must have struck a venti nerve for you to go digging up week old posts, over a day later.
0/5. I was board, and your posts are not that hard to "dig up". Enjoy your mango peach smoothys, Brah!

04/08/2016 05:33 AM

Sniper

Originally posted by: Sniper I really must have struck a venti nerve for you to go digging up week old posts, over a day later. [IMG][/IMG]
0/5. I was board, and your posts are not that hard to "dig up". Enjoy your mango peach smoothys, Brah!

Are you guys running a promotion on the smoothies this month?

If so, I'll give one a shot. Are you able to give out any free ones to forum members?

Should I just tell them that bobsOn3000meatKnobs sent me?

04/28/2016 06:41 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Nobody cares.

The lawn services are still blowing leaf litter and clippings in the river/canals/storm drains.

Most people in my neighborhood let the spring oak leaf drop go down the drain.

Lawn services are laying down massive amounts of quick release nitrogen right now.

Nobody is making a stink about the water management district pulling funding for automated water quality monitoring stations, the kind that recorded in real time the algae bloom concentration and subsequent crash in dissolved oxygen, the kind that can track nutrient pulses and flow...

Nobody cares.

04/28/2016 06:59 AM

bob3000

any word on if/when they are gonna bring back the skeeter planes to spray some chemtrails for ZIKA?

04/28/2016 07:04 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I just wish my neighbor would put some mosquitofish or larvacide in his back yard fountains.

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .