Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: In other news
Topic Summary: Woodrow Wilson has been deemed racist, and name should be removed from building
Created On: 11/19/2015 12:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/19/2015 12:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

obx2

Joined Forum: 04/10/2015

Seriously guys...when will it end:

https://news.yahoo.com/princeton-students-protest-presidents-office-change-194850789.html

"The protesters also want the Ivy League university to institute cultural competency training for staff and faculty, and add a cultural space on campus dedicated to black students."

The racists are against the racists and all there racism!!!!!

Next Up; "Changing the name of the Capital and The realization that George Washington owned slaves, was therefore racist."

With all this progress going on, who would want to be a conservative?

11/19/2015 01:02 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

How about a whole bunch of pale, male and stale guys latching on to scraps of stupidity to justify their outdated general racism with a phony sense of noblesse oblige (look it up).

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

11/19/2015 01:09 PM

obx2

Originally posted by: johnnyboy How about a whole bunch of pale, male and stale guys latching on to scraps of stupidity to justify their outdated general racism with a phony sense of noblesse oblige (look it up).

OK, you got me on this one. I did look it up:

Noblesse oblige is a French phrase literally meaning "nobility obliges". It is the concept that nobility extends beyond mere entitlements and requires the person with such status to fulfill social responsibilities, particularly in leadership roles.

but not sure where you are going with that. Are you and Wookie the same person?

11/19/2015 01:09 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I like it. The prog's Frankenstein monster is turning on them. The reality is that the old universities are outdated from an economic sense. As more of them become useless, online alternatives will spring up and supplant them. That, in turn, will rid us of a rats nest of progs.

I :heart; Q
 11/19/2015 01:59 PM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Yeah them GOPers hate book larnin'!

11/19/2015 03:10 PM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

Yeah them GOPers hate book larnin'!

But they're good at balancing budgets: "naught, naught, carry the naught".
 11/19/2015 06:00 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

So what's your point?
That he wasn't a racist?
Done your research?
Are you trying to refute history,
or rewrite it?

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 11/20/2015 06:16 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: WG So what's your point? That he wasn't a racist? Done your research? Are you trying to refute history, or rewrite it?

I'm just not in favor of trying to white wash it, or shall I say, black wash it.

Its a part of history, to say Wilson is racist would be to call Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and all the other Founding Fathers racist too. Hell, even Amerigo Vespucci made a killing off of the slave trade. Maybe we should change the name of our country too!

11/20/2015 06:19 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Odombo's fathers family was in the slave trade--dismiss him also!

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 11/20/2015 06:31 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

I'm not sure if Wahington and Jefferson's ownership of slaves were based in economics or Racism, but they certainly thought black people were worth less than whites. Jefferson certainly was known to enjoy taking a little brown sugar from his "property".

Did either write much about it? Did either actively oppose change?
They generally get more of a pass because that was long ago, those were different times and they are so revered for founding this great nation.

Wilson's was much more recent and involved active opposition to the halting progress toward equal rights for the descendants of those slaves at the time. He supported the KKK.

You really can't get why black folks might object to going to a school that honors him?

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill

Edited: 11/20/2015 at 08:10 PM by WG
 11/20/2015 06:34 AM

obx2

And the ultimate little fun fact that everyone seems to gloss over; the first slave owner was a black man!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)

Not to mention, he was once a "servant" himself before he was freed, to go on and own property, and.....slaves!

11/20/2015 06:36 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: WG I'm not sure if Wahington and Jefferson's ownership of slaves were based in economics or Racism, but they certainly thought black people were worth less than whites. Jefferson certainly was known to enjoy taking a little brown sugar from his "property". Did either write much about it? Did either actively oppose change? They generally get more of a pass because that was long ago, those were different times and they are so revered for founding this great nation. Wilson's was much more recent and involved active opposition to the slow halting toward equal rights for the descendants of those slaves at the time. He supported the KKK. You really can't get why black folks might object to going to a school that honors him?

Its history, WG. Why all of a sudden the "outrage"?

11/20/2015 07:20 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Look what these idiots are demanding. This is a riot. From Amherst-

Submitted by Amherst Uprising  - a collective of students on campus who came together as a result of the sit-In organized in Frost Library on 11/12/15.

Students shared the demands below with President Biddy Martin that same evening in Frost.

Initiate within 24-48 hours and complete by Wednesday, November 18, 11:59 pm. 

Please communicate this list to the Board of Trustees on behalf of the students.

This list includes demands not only for President Biddy Martin but for key people of the administration —

Preamble:

We, Students of Amherst College, refuse to accept the negative social climate created towards our peers of color and other marginalized groups. We have begun this movement, Amherst Uprising, in an effort to change the status quo for a more just and inclusive environment within our campus. We demand that Amherst become a leader in the fight to promote a better social climate towards individuals who have been systematically oppressed. Student leaders acknowledge and support the demands previously stated and currently being presented. Furthermore, we demand the College acknowledge its ethical and moral responsibilities as an institution and community of our world. Amherst College should not be complicit in oppressive organizations and systems, no less.

We as a compassionate student body have gathered to address the legacy of oppression on campus. If these goals are not initiated within the next 24 to 48 hours, and completed by November 18th, we will organize and respond in a radical manner, through civil disobedience. If there is a continued failure to meet our demands, it will result in an escalation of our response.

1.    President Martin must issue a statement of apology to students, alumni and former students, faculty, administration and staff who have been victims of several injustices including but not limited to our institutional legacy of white supremacy, colonialism, anti-black racism, anti-Latinx racism, anti-Native American racism, anti-Native/ indigenous racism, anti-Asian racism, anti-Middle Eastern racism, heterosexism, cis-sexism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, ableism, mental health stigma, and classism. Also include that marginalized communities and their allies should feel safe at Amherst College.

2.    We demand Cullen Murphy ‘74, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, to issue a statement of apology to students, alumni and former students, faculty, administration, and staff who have been victims of several injustices including but not limited to our institutional legacy of white supremacy, colonialism, anti-black racism, anti-Latinx racism, anti-Native American racism, anti-Native/ indigenous racism, anti-Asian racism, anti-Middle Eastern racism, heterosexism, cis-sexism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, ableism, mental health stigma, and classism

3.     Amherst College Police Department must issue a statement of protection and defense from any form of violence, threats, or retaliation of any kind resulting from this movement.

4.   President Martin must issue a statement of apology to faculty, staff and administrators of color as well as their allies, neither of whom were provided a safe space for them to thrive while at Amherst College.

5.    President Martin must issue a statement to the Amherst College community at large that states we do not tolerate the actions of student(s) who posted the “All Lives Matter” posters, and the “Free Speech” posters that stated that “in memoriam of the true victim of the Missouri Protests: Free Speech.” Also let the student body know that it was racially insensitive to the students of color on our college campus and beyond who are victim to racial harassment and death threats; alert them that Student Affairs may require them to go through the Disciplinary Process if a formal complaint is filed, and that they will be required to attend extensive training for racial and cultural competency.

6.     President Martin must issue a statement of support for the revision of the Honor Code to reflect a zero-tolerance policy for racial insensitivity and hate speech.

7.     President Martin must release a statement by Friday, November 13th, 2015 by 5:00pm that condemns the inherent racist nature of the unofficial mascot, the Lord Jeff, and circulate it to the student body, faculty, alumni, and Board of Trustees. This will be followed up by the encouraged removal of all imagery including but not limited to apparel, memorabilia, facilities, etc. for Amherst College and all of its affiliates via a phasing out process within the next year.

8.     Dean Epstein must ask faculty to excuse all students from all 5 College classes, work shifts, and assignments from November 12th, 2015 to November 13th, 2015 given their organization of and attendance at the Sit-In.

9.     Do not threaten the jobs of the faculty, staff, or administrators that support our list of demands. Such threats will result in an escalation of our response.

10.   The Office of Alumni and Parent Programs must send former students an email of current events on campus including a statement that Amherst College does not condone any racist or culturally insensitive reactions to this information. 

11.   Dean Epstein must encourage faculty to provide a space for students to discuss this week’s events during class time.

Please acknowledge that all of these statements of apology are not the end all - that they are only a part of short-term healing and by no means achieve all of the goals we will set forth. We are in the process of finalizing long-term goals which we hope to collaborate on regularly with all members of the community.

By no means does this start/stop with the administration.

I :heart; Q
 11/20/2015 07:36 AM

obx2

Can anybody tell me what triggered these demands? Was there an "event" or something? Show me where this or how this racsism exists in this school. (Except for of course, Affirmative action, which grants certain privelages based on color of skin).

11/20/2015 09:32 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

College is about questioning. Sometimes it's about the intellectual exercise.

The overall issue isn't trivial. It's hard to excuse the faults of people from the past when viewed in terms of modern standards.

How will the history books treat the legions of knuckle dragging Trump fans? Will they be excused for being under the influence of political propaganda and social media induced ignorance?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 11/20/2015 09:56 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: RustyTruck College is about questioning. Sometimes it's about the intellectual exercise. The overall issue isn't trivial. It's hard to excuse the faults of people from the past when viewed in terms of modern standards. How will the history books treat the legions of knuckle dragging Trump fans? Will they be excused for being under the influence of political propaganda and social media induced ignorance? Maybe. Maybe not.

i think you meant to replace "Trump" with "Obama"

11/20/2015 12:00 PM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: obx2

i think you meant to replace "Trump" with "Obama"

No, I didn't. I must say I'm surprised that someone who wants to make members of a specific religion have to wear or carry special identification can lead in polling of Republicans.

There was a time that would have been abhorrent to a vast majority of Americans of any political stripe.

Just remember that when they came for the Muslims you were silent.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

11/20/2015 12:03 PM

obx2

Originally posted by: RustyTruck
Originally posted by: obx2 i think you meant to replace "Trump" with "Obama"
No, I didn't. I must say I'm surprised that someone who wants to make members of a specific religion have to wear or carry special identification can lead in polling of Republicans. There was a time that would have been abhorrent to a vast majority of Americans of any political stripe. Just remember that when they came for the Muslims you were silent.

I will admit his latest rhetoric towards the refugees/muslims is becoming a little too radical.

11/20/2015 12:12 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

since when was it kosher for college campuses to protest stuff?  I thought it was only for hippies in the 60's.  Don't tell me,  their kids grew up and it's the second generation gene coming back again?

11/20/2015 12:19 PM

RustyTruck

OBX, I liked a bit of his populist message early on, but he swung way out into the creepy right when he saw it played well.

I think the guy could be dangerous, in a much more significant way that any other candidates. Cruz is creepy, but Trump has a Il Duce thing going.

FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : In other news

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .