Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Why are Conservatives so damn scared all the time??
Topic Summary: pls enlighten me..
Created On: 11/17/2015 07:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/20/2015 08:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Thaumaturgist

Joined Forum: 06/10/2004

From Krugman's article;

"Who, exactly, are these serious candidates? And why would the establishment, which has spent years encouraging the base to indulge its fears and reject nuance, now expect that base to understand the difference between tough talk and actual effectiveness?"

Yes, "Who, exactly, are these serious candidates?"

There is hardly any differences between a 'Republican', an 'Establishment Republican' and a 'Tea Party Member'. The most important issues that hold them together are an extreme disdain for anything 'non-white' and/or anything 'non-Christian' and/or anything 'Foreign'.

The 'Foreign' is however an essential staple for them in their life. You want the Foreign Male to work for cash under the table or for a wage lower than the minimum wage in your business. And then you need the Foreign Female to burp your child at home when you and the wife go out to work.
 11/20/2015 08:09 AM

DaveFL76

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

Originally posted by: crankit Twenty-one percent say the Islamic State is the most important issue facing the country right now, with an additional 14 percent saying terrorism is the most important issue - for a total of 35 percent.
And next week Unemployment/The Economy will be #1. And then it'll be Immigration. And then it'll be crime. And then it'll be Gun Control. And then it'll be Healthcare. And then it'll be Government gridlick. It's whatever the news can hype up the most at the time to get the best ratings and keep you afraid and tuning in.

I have a sneaking suspicion that our Politicians are really enjoying our focus being diverted overseas for the time being. It helps us forget what a terrible job they do at legislating.

11/20/2015 08:19 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: DaveFL76
Originally posted by: crankit Twenty-one percent say the Islamic State is the most important issue facing the country right now, with an additional 14 percent saying terrorism is the most important issue - for a total of 35 percent.
And next week Unemployment/The Economy will be #1. And then it'll be Immigration. And then it'll be crime. And then it'll be Gun Control. And then it'll be Healthcare. And then it'll be Government gridlick. It's whatever the news can hype up the most at the time to get the best ratings and keep you afraid and tuning in.

Sure. But the big, bad progs are not afraid. Except, they are terrified about global warming. And guns. And free speech. And Christians. And capitalism. And, most of all, having their freebies taken away.

-------------------------
I :heart; Q
 11/20/2015 09:24 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I'm afraid to see where the proliferation of ignorance and anti-intellectualism in the USA will lead, but beyond that I'm not really afraid of a damn thing.

I just got back from New Zealand and you'll be happy to know they are quite progressive and a bit dismayed at our political deterioration. They are now at the top of my ex-pat list in the event of a fascist takeover of the USA.

But I'm not going to let that happen without a fight.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 11/20/2015 09:58 AM

obx2

Joined Forum: 04/10/2015

Our "political deterioration?" I thought this was the hope and change you wanted? You know..."progress"

11/20/2015 10:38 AM

follydude

"We're on the Stop Obama Express"

"We're going to make him a one term president"

"We're going to take over the House and Senate and repeal Obamacare"

"We're going to change the tax code to help business and the middle class"

"We're going to impeach Obama"

I could go on and on.

Guns? Be smart about it: close the Gun Show loophole and have better background checks and more thorough training.

Global warming? That's as much of an economic issue as any. You see mass migration due to civil war, mass migration due to drought is going to make conflict migration look like a picnic.

11/20/2015 10:41 AM

obx2

^^^^

Yet not one of those things listed has ever happened. Why are you liberals so damn scared of that all the time?...

11/20/2015 10:55 AM

follydude

I was alluding to the rhetoric of the Recht during different epochs of the Obama White House as gleaned thru the various times I've tuned into the likes of Hannity. Of course none of those things happened, because the GOP itself isn't united and, as a result, we have the "political deterioration" of which Rusty speaks.

Obama, referring to Syria, said the other day: if anyone has a better plan, tell me and I'll look at it. For the past 7 years, the GOP has been "the party of no". There is no better plan offered, there are no new ideas. When a plan is offered by the GOP, invariably it leads to people with the least getting stepped on the most: children, elderly, working poor and veterans.

The GOP has controlled the House since 2010. What accomplishments can they stand on?
 11/20/2015 11:00 AM

kirby

Joined Forum: 11/10/2007

rusty...their immigration policy would not be cool to the open door people on here....they are not too progressive on that front?

Edited: 11/20/2015 at 11:21 AM by kirby
 11/20/2015 11:17 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: follydude I was alluding to the rhetoric of the Recht during different epochs of the Obama White House as gleaned thru the various times I've tuned into the likes of Hannity. Of course none of those things happened, because the GOP itself isn't united and, as a result, we have the "political deterioration" of which Rusty speaks. Obama, referring to Syria, said the other day: if anyone has a better plan, tell me and I'll look at it. For the past 7 years, the GOP has been "the party of no". There is no better plan offered, there are no new ideas. When a plan is offered by the GOP, invariably it leads to people with the least getting stepped on the most: children, elderly, working poor and veterans. The GOP has controlled the House since 2010. What accomplishments can they stand on?

^^This I will agree paints a better picture of disfunction.

The House and "We the People" are extremely divided. No longer can anyone have a different opinion, without immediatley being labled as "right" or "left," and if the label is not one we associate ourselves with, than we immediatley discredit, mock, twist, and/or tie that opinion to another unrelated stance of the same party. Irregardless of the fact the person with the inital opinion doesn't feel that way. This forum is a perfect microcosm of this very notion.

To put it another way, that leads to lack of respect for the comment/opinion, and/or instant disregard, because it is tied to the disagreeing stance on the label itself.

What you say about the right being the party of no, can be said about the left, and anwers your question as to why GOP House hasn't been able to do anything (aka. Harry Reid)

You can say the same thing about the left, in regards to being the party of no. That is why there has been no accomplishments they can stand on.

11/20/2015 11:39 AM

tpapablo

When a plan is offered by the GOP, invariably it leads to people with the least getting stepped on the most: children, elderly, working poor and veterans.

Well, the dems held the house, senate and presidency between 2008 and 2010 and the presidency the entire time. Why didn't they fix all of that?

The GOP has controlled the House since 2010. What accomplishments can they stand on?

Stopped some of the insane crap proposed by the PiC. And that is huge.

I :heart; Q
 11/20/2015 02:39 PM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Bipartisan passed---who will block it?

House vote shows Dem distrust of Obama's refugee plan

House Democrats on Thursday sent President Obama an unmistakable warning that they don't trust his plan to resettle thousands of Syrian refugees in the United States, and that they need to hear more details about that plan.

Dozens of Democratic lawmakers voted with the GOP to overwhelmingly pass legislation that many would say would halt Obama's plan to resettle 10,000 Syrians in the United States. The vote resulted in enough Democratic support to override a veto of the bill, which President Obama has promised.

Some Democrats told the Washington Examiner that the administration needs to bolster the program now in place for investigating the background of each refugee before they enter the country. Their concern comes amid polls showing a majority of Americans do not favor the plan to move Syrian refugees to the United States. A deadly terrorist attack in Paris a week ago included at least one person posing as a Syrian refugee.

"The administration has not done a good job in how these refugees are vetted," Rep. Bill Pascrell, D-N.J., told the Examiner. "And people want to know about the process. They are sophisticated enough to understand."

Even Democrats who didn't support the GOP bill voted in favor of a Democratic alternative that would bolster the vetting process of all refugees. That alternative, sponsored by Reps. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., and Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif., would have strengthened the vetting process for all incoming refugees, but to a less stringent level than the level required by the GOP bill.

That measure failed because it lacked support from Republicans, who preferred the tougher vetting language in their legislation.

But by the time Democrats walked off the House floor and headed out the exits for the Thanksgiving recess, their message to Obama was clear: We don't trust the refugee screening process.

Pascrell said Democrats are fearful enough to quash a presidential veto. "I think they would probably override it on this issue," Pascrell said.

The Democratic revolt came after a private briefing Thursday from White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough and Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson. The two officials, according to one Democrat, "brought more questions than they answered."

Pelosi said McDonough and Johnson simply reported the "reality" to Democrats about the review process for incoming refugees.

A few hours after the Obama administration officials departed, the House voted 289-137 to pass the "Safe Act." That total was made possible with the help of 47 Democrats, a strong enough showing to signify a party rebuke to Obama's refugee resettlement plan.

A two-thirds vote will be needed to override Obama's veto, if it comes to that, and Thursday's vote shows an override is a possibility.

The House-passed bill essentially blocks new Syrian and Iraqi refugees by ratcheting up the vetting process to a level that intelligence officials say is currently untenable. In order for any Syrian or Iraqi refugee to gain entry into the United States, the FBI, Homeland Security and office of the Director of National Intelligence would have to first certify the person is not a terrorism or security threat.

Pelosi opposed the GOP bill on the same grounds the Obama administration opposed it. "You cannot have thousands of applications reviewed by the top law enforcement people in our country," she said. "It is an obstacle to the resettlement program."

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 11/20/2015 02:49 PM

kirby

Joined Forum: 11/10/2007

I am pretty sure Obama admin closed the immigration doors from Iraq for 6 months after a suspect got into trouble once here.

But now he, hillary others or going to criticize some for thinking that waiting and figuring it out would be a good idea before letting them in.....when they actually did this for the same reasons....!?

11/20/2015 03:01 PM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

Tried to repeal Obamacare and Roe vs. Wade about 99.9% of the time.
 11/20/2015 03:56 PM

crankit

AMID WASHINGTON’S RAGING DEBATE over refugees and religion, more than two dozen Iraqi Christians who crossed into the US from Mexico in hopes of joining their friends and families are being deported after their bids for religious asylum were rejected.

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 11/22/2015 03:43 PM

eibla

For Feck's sakes!! How stupid can Repugnicans be!!?? Our refugee system RIGHT NOW (without any dumbass Repugnican add ons, Cubans excepted) states that political refugees are under an 18 month vetting process! So riddle me this dumbasses? Why would some Syrian ISIL terrorist hang around for that whole 18 months when ISIL could just select somebody holding an Australian, Indonesian, Belgium, you name it passport and get into this country on a freaking tourist VISA to do their dirty work!! Keep living in fear...it's what you're good at.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness -
John Kenneth Galbraith
 11/22/2015 08:32 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Originally posted by: crankit

AMID WASHINGTON'S RAGING DEBATE over refugees and religion, more than two dozen Iraqi Christians who crossed into the US from Mexico in hopes of joining their friends and families are being deported after their bids for religious asylum were rejected.

That sucks. Do you think Der Trumpenfeuhrer would take them?

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 11/22/2015 08:53 PM

Wookie

Joined Forum: 01/12/2015

I would assume there are some christians among the refugees.  They could all be christians or none; it's all the same to me.

Wiki wiki

11/23/2015 05:44 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: obx2
Only a libtard can repackage the logic behind not wanting to accept Syrian Refugees until we have established a better system of vetting them out, because we know that people who openly admit to wanting to kill us are using them as a means for invasion into "Panic".

Why in the fck would they waste two years trying to get someone in the US, when many of the radicalized come from countries that have free travel into our country?

I was right.
 11/23/2015 05:48 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

My bad, Albie beat me to it.

But come on and answer, our question is valid.

I was right.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .