Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Guns for all!
Topic Summary: Untrained Americans armed to the hilt!
Created On: 10/09/2015 05:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/09/2015 05:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Woman fires at fleeing vehicle.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mi...depot-robbery-suspect/

-------------------------
I was right.
 10/09/2015 05:33 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I don't know, it was described as aimed fire and she managed to hit a tire on the fleeing SUV. The right would congratulate her.

Of course if she had hit and killed the guy or a bystander, she'd be in a world of hurt.

We did discuss things like that in my CCW class, I don't know how Michigan works.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 10/09/2015 06:36 AM

obx2

Joined Forum: 04/10/2015

Originally posted by: Cole Woman fires at fleeing vehicle. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mi...depot-robbery-suspect/

So you post an article that shows were two armned citizens were able to assist in stopping/or trying to stop a criminal, and are saying thats a bad thing?

Then you make the assumption she is untrained? How do you know? The fact she took deliberate aim, and the fact that no innocent bystanders got hurt, (in otherwords, she obeyed one of the fundamental rules of knowing what is around your target before firing), tells me your assumption may be off.

What exactly is you point here, Cole?

10/09/2015 06:47 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

My understanding in FL from a long time ago was that deadly force could be used to stop or prevent a forcible felony. If the guy just shoplifted a drill unarmed, it would not meet that criteria. If it was armed robbery of a drill (lol) then he's fleeing and the felony has already been committed, and so probably doesn't meet the strict test either.
 10/09/2015 06:54 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

No article I have read mentions the suspect having, brandishing, or using a weapon.

He walked through the door, the alarm went beep beep, store security confronted him, he hopped in a vehicle and the vehicle left the scene.

That's the story I've seen. If anybody has any information to the contrary then do share.

Police aren't supposed to shoot at unarmed fleeing suspects and I don't think random member of the public is either.

Seems like a recipe for disaster. Civilian 1 pulls weapon to shoot at fleeing shoplifter car. Civilian 2 is late on the scene and doesn't know about the shoplifter but just sees C1 pull gun and open fire. C2 then decides to stop what he sees as an attempted murder and draws to fire on C2.

This is an example of why certain powers are retained for authorized official personel. Drawning and firing should be a last resort to protect against immediate grave danger. Too many things can go badly if people are trigger happy.

Edited: 10/09/2015 at 07:04 AM by scombrid
 10/09/2015 07:07 AM

Wookie

Joined Forum: 01/12/2015

Unless you fire a warning shot at your asshole son-in-law, in which case you get 20 to life in FL and Dick Scott won't pardon you.

Wiki wiki

10/09/2015 07:40 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/sta...00-0799/0776/0776.html

CHAPTER 776

JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

776.012?Use or threatened use of force in defense of person.

776.013?Home protection; use or threatened use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.

776.031?Use or threatened use of force in defense of property.

776.032?Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use or threatened use of force.

776.041?Use or threatened use of force by aggressor.

776.05?Law enforcement officers; use of force in making an arrest.

776.051?Use or threatened use of force in resisting arrest or making an arrest or in the execution of a legal duty; prohibition.

776.06?Deadly force by a law enforcement or correctional officer.

776.07?Use of force to prevent escape.

776.08?Forcible felony.

776.085?Defense to civil action for damages; party convicted of forcible or attempted forcible felony.

776.09?Retention of records pertaining to persons found to be acting in lawful self-defense; expunction of criminal history records.

with lots of nuances responsible owners need to know:

776.012?Use or threatened use of force in defense of person. -

(1)?A person is justified in using or threatening to use force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. A person who uses or threatens to use force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat before using or threatening to use such force.

(2)?A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.
 10/10/2015 06:00 PM

Cole

Originally posted by: obx2

Originally posted by: Cole Woman fires at fleeing vehicle. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mi...depot-robbery-suspect/

So you post an article that shows were two armned citizens were able to assist in stopping/or trying to stop a criminal, and are saying thats a bad thing?

Then you make the assumption she is untrained? How do you know? The fact she took deliberate aim, and the fact that no innocent bystanders got hurt, (in otherwords, she obeyed one of the fundamental rules of knowing what is around your target before firing), tells me your assumption may be off.

What exactly is you point here, Cole?

The Supreme Court ruled that police can't shoot at fleeing suspects.

The public at large can, but the police can't?

I was right.
 10/10/2015 08:19 PM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

An armed citizen cannot shoot at a fleeing shoplifter.
 10/12/2015 05:36 AM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

An unarmed citizen also cannot shoot at a fleeing shoplifter.

10/12/2015 05:43 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: somebodyelse

An unarmed citizen also cannot shoot at a fleeing shoplifter.

...and that is a good thing.

I was right.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .