Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Interesting read
Topic Summary: for anyone open to a serious discussion
Created On: 10/08/2015 07:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/08/2015 07:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

obx2

Joined Forum: 04/10/2015

10/08/2015 07:55 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

Connecticut university student arrested over mac and cheese

-------------------------
Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 10/08/2015 07:58 AM

Wookie

Joined Forum: 01/12/2015

I read it and it's interesting.  Not completely horrible.

I will refrain from offering substantive comment here.

Wiki wiki

10/08/2015 08:48 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Not bad, and of course the sort of dancing around the edges stuff that we will have to do because we can't tackle the real problem (so many guns).

But this is a cop out:
"The truth, of course, is that these kinds of shootings have nothing to do with the firearms enthusiasts you find at gun shows,"

Of course he firearms enthusiasts you find at gun shows have something to do with it.
While they seldom commit the crimes, it is they that drive the demand, fuel the industry thus the existence of so many guns in America.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 10/08/2015 09:08 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: WG Not bad, and of course the sort of dancing around the edges stuff that we will have to do because we can't tackle the real problem (so many guns). But this is a cop out: "The truth, of course, is that these kinds of shootings have nothing to do with the firearms enthusiasts you find at gun shows," Of course he firearms enthusiasts you find at gun shows have something to do with it. While they seldom commit the crimes, it is they that drive the demand, fuel the industry thus the existence of so many guns in America.

i have to be honest, I can't tell if you are just trolling, or really actually think that.

10/08/2015 09:45 AM

WG

I'm not sure you are trolling or just playing dumb by not seeing it as painfully obvious.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 10/08/2015 10:09 AM

obx2

So, by your train of logic, the fault lays with all of us who own guns?

10/08/2015 10:18 AM

WG

I didn't say you were at fault.
I support our right to bear arms.
I think any serious erosion of that right is politically impossible.

I just stated that the correlation is obvious.
We have more gun crime because we have more guns.
We have more guns because of our culture of "gun enthusiasts"

cfr

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 10/08/2015 10:29 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

My newest gun is a 20 year old 870.

Everything else I've got are hand-me-downs.

A couple are nearing the century mark in age.

All still work great.

People like me don't make the gun manufacturers much money.

People like me also don't create an environment that is flooded with guns that end up supplying a black market and crazy people.

10/08/2015 10:45 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

http://crimeresearch.org/2014/...ates-across-countries/

Much of the debate is focused on gun ownership rate data for 109 countries from the Small Arms Survey. There are real problems with this survey. For example, the rates of gun ownership for Israel (7 per 100 people) and Switzerland (supposedly 47 guns per 100 people) . Anyone who has ever been to Israel knowns that this estimate is ridiculously low. Indeed, over time about 12 to 15 percent of the adult Jewish population in Israel is allowed to carry handguns in public.

The problem with this survey excludes weapons that are technically owned by the government. The vast majority of guns in Israel are technically owned by the government, but if people have possession of guns in their homes for decades, the issue should be that public possession, not who technically owned the guns. Similarly, at that time of the Small Arms Survey, all able bodied Swiss males between the age of 18 and 42 kept their military weapons in their homes. After age 42, they could apply for permission to continue to keep their military weapons. Israeli guns are also excluded for the same reason.

The Small Arms Survey claims that the United States has by far the highest level of gun ownership, with 88.8 guns per 100 people. Both Israel and Switzerland probably have much higher gun ownership rates, but including them the way the Small Arms Survey does biases the results to The US gun ownership is so high compared to other countries that it drives any regression results.

There are also other problems with the survey. For example, a much better measure of gun ownership would be the percentage of the population owning guns, and not the number of guns per 100 people as used by the Small Arms Survey. Presumably the issue is whether people have access to guns, not the number of guns greater than one that an individual has access to.

By the way, despite Israel and Switzerland having very high gun possession rates, their firearm homicide rates are extremely low. In the data shown below, Switzerland had a firearms homicide rate of 0.77 per 100,000 people and Israel has a rate of just 0.09 per 100,000.

10/08/2015 10:54 AM

WG

http://crimeresearch.org/ is of course a "conservative" thus "pro gun" site.

Israel and Switzerland may have very high gun possession rates, compared to the rest of the world, but still low compared to us, and since those rates are based on military service (and being at war in the case of Israel), I agree that those data points are off.

It looks from that graph like the US is at least a little below 3rd world levels of gun violence anyway. Hoorah for us!
Are there any developed countries that even come close, in terms of gun levels and violence levels?

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,

Edited: 10/08/2015 at 11:02 AM by WG
 10/08/2015 10:54 AM

obx2

Well, I certainly can't deny that from a purely statistical standpoint, the more guns, the better the chances. However, the reality is, we will never get rid of guns, never. Even if we had a full on mandate to confiscate all guns, and made it illegal to even look at one, there will still be a black market. Again, look to the war on drugs as an example, all the money wasted, and all the non-violent criminals incarerated for it. Yet, the streets are still flooded with drugs. Out of curiousity, why would it be any different for guns?

Here is an interesting site of just facts:

https://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp#crime

Objectively read it, digest it, and tell me if we society are better off with or without firearms. In other words, does the bad outweigh the good in them.

These two are a good snapshot of why there are so many "gun enthusiasts" who drive the demand:

A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:[21]

• 34% had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"

• 40% had decided not to commit a crime because they "knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun"

• 69% personally knew other criminals who had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"[

• 83% of Americans will be the victim of an attempted or completed violent crime.

•  52% of Americans will be the victim of an attempted or completed violent crime more than once.[

83% of us, more than 8 out of 10 people, will be a victim or almost victim of a violent crime, and 4 of those people will have it happen to them more than once. Now, how many of those people are not able to physically defend themselves?

The reality is, Evil exists, it always has, and always will. Most of us carry as a means of insurance that we can protect against it. After all, statistically speaking, there is huge chance of that actually happeneing. The reality is,  I pray to God I never have to use mine, but take comfort in knowing I can defend my family against the "bogey man".

10/08/2015 10:55 AM

Wookie

It's hard to compare any country to the US when it comes to this issue.  We are also culturally different from the European countries that have gun restrictions.  Even with high ownership rates they might have low firearm crime rates; it's hard to say.  I would say that Europeans still value people more than possessions which is something we need to learn.

So, getting to my point:  comparing us to undeveloped countries that are unstable, have rebels, widespread poverty, etc is not intellectually honest.  Sorry Joe, but you are going to have to do better than that.

Wiki wiki

10/08/2015 10:56 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: scombrid My newest gun is a 20 year old 870.

Everything else I've got are hand-me-downs.

A couple are nearing the century mark in age.

All still work great.

People like me don't make the gun manufacturers much money.

People like me also don't create an environment that is flooded with guns that end up supplying a black market and crazy people.

So....do you want to sell any of those?.....

10/08/2015 11:01 AM

WG

I have no problem with you protecting yourself against "the bogey man".
Your right.

But I think that by owning and carrying a gun, you are making yourself and your family, and the rest of us less safe, not more.

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 10/08/2015 11:02 AM

Wookie

If I had to meet scombrid in person I would make sure I brought all my brains with me.  Just a thought.

Wiki wiki

10/08/2015 11:04 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: Wookie ......  We are also culturally different from the European countries that have gun restrictions.  Even with high ownership rates they might have low firearm crime rates; it's hard to say.  I would say that Europeans still value people more than possessions which is something we need to learn.......

Exactly Wookie!!! Its a culture problem, not a gun problem. America has always had guns, high powered semi-automatics have been around for over 100 years, yet in the past 20yrs, we've seen an uptick in these tragidies. The fact that we have guns hasn't changed, its the culture that has changed, and has changed for the worse. The irony is, its labeled as "Progress"

10/08/2015 11:06 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

Originally posted by: Wookie If I had to meet scombrid in person I would make sure I brought all my brains with me.  

it might help a little, but in reality - you have no chance against his brah-brainan jiu jitsu...continue,

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 10/08/2015 11:17 AM

Wookie

If I were smart I would avoid him so it's a forgone conclusion.

Wiki wiki

10/08/2015 11:18 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: WG I have no problem with you protecting yourself against "the bogey man". Your right. But I think that by owning and carrying a gun, you are making yourself and your family, and the rest of us less safe, not more.

Thats because you assume I am irresponsible about it. It never leaves my person when I carry, even sitting in the car. I am proficient with using it.  Its locked in a safe that can only be accessed by mine, or my wife's fingerprints, if its not on me. And I have made it a point to teach and re-teach my kids about the danger in them. I can assure you there are more gun owners like myself than there are not.

FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Interesting read

1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .