Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: More Examples
Topic Summary: What the fck is wrong with our society?
Created On: 10/06/2015 05:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/06/2015 05:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

obx2

Joined Forum: 04/10/2015

11yr old shoots 8 year old for not allowing him to see her puppy:

http://news.yahoo.com/boy-11-reportedly-shoots-dead-211512315.html

14yr old rapes and slits his teacher's throat:

http://news.yahoo.com/cops-teen-accused-killing-raping-163700011.html

These are just children, products of their surroundings. What are we surrounding them with? Or, what are we not surounding them with? (morals, kindness, love, etc...)

Seems like the kids these days can't handle rejection, maybe because we as a society refuse to teach them about it. (I.E. everyone gets a trophy, everyone's feelings must be spared, etc.)

I don't know, I hung out with some crazy mofo's growing up, but none of them would kill, or want to kill.....sad.

10/06/2015 05:27 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: obx2

Seems like the kids these days can't handle rejection, maybe because we as a society refuse to teach them about it. (I.E. everyone gets a trophy, everyone's feelings must be spared, etc.)

This is a major issue with the 20-somethings. Helicopter parents always mopping up. But then reality sets in and they can't handle it.

Propper boundaries and self control need to be established young and that requires that kids fail and face failures and the consequences of those failures.

-------------------------

10/06/2015 05:34 AM

scombrid

The self-esteem police were in full effect 30 years ago. Sadly, many gen-x folks that grew up in the that first wave of bullshit participation trophies have spawned and doubled down on that false self esteem bullshit. Their kids are really fucked.

10/06/2015 06:02 AM

obx2

Something we can agree on. As a parent, I get wanting to spare your kids any kind of pain, but it takes a certain type of person/parent to understand its pain that causes growth (to an extent, of course).

I but heads with my in-laws all the time over this. They would rather not hear them whine/cry, and give them whatever they want, instead of dealing with the annoyance for the sake of teaching them valuable lessons. In a wierd twisted way, its almost selfish of them....

10/06/2015 06:32 AM

Wookie

Joined Forum: 01/12/2015

Those cowardly French again.

Wiki wiki

10/06/2015 07:57 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

unbalanced seratonin levels are unbalanced.

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 10/06/2015 09:24 AM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Helicopter parents, yes
I guess that's why they can ride on mommy and daddy's insurance until they're 30 f'n years old.
They are not capable of doing shit on their own.

Then there is also the other extreme.
 10/06/2015 09:34 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

My wife thinks everyone is over medicated. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I can't rule it out.

Especially SSRI's - although it makes sense that you might see a correlation between psychotropics and people with mental illness who then commit crimes.

I think it's worth serious scientific investigation.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 10/06/2015 10:17 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: RustyTruck My wife thinks everyone is over medicated. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I can't rule it out. Especially SSRI's - although it makes sense that you might see a correlation between psychotropics and people with mental illness who then commit crimes. I think it's worth serious scientific investigation.

Compeletly agree with you, and your wife. People are way over medicated.

I have a weird fascination with old cemetaries, and stumbled across one while out exploring the mountains of North Carolina over the summer. There were about 100 grave sites, and omitting the ones that died in infancy, the average life span was 70+ years. The most recent burial was in the late 1940s. That was interesting to me, because these people were living in the sticks, with minimal luxuries of the modern time, without all the medication we now have, and they were still living into their 70s. My take away is if you eat healthy/natural, and stay moving, you won't need all this medicine.

10/06/2015 11:04 AM

Wookie

I think that is also a symptom, not a cause.

Wiki wiki

10/06/2015 11:23 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Originally posted by: RustyTruck My wife thinks everyone is over medicated. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I can't rule it out. Especially SSRI's - although it makes sense that you might see a correlation between psychotropics and people with mental illness who then commit crimes. I think it's worth serious scientific investigation.

I have a weird fascination with old cemetaries, and stumbled across one while out exploring the mountains of North Carolina over the summer. There were about 100 grave sites, and omitting the ones that died in infancy, the average life span was 70+ years. The most recent burial was in the late 1940s. That was interesting to me, because these people were living in the sticks, with minimal luxuries of the modern time, without all the medication we now have, and they were still living into their 70s. My take away is if you eat healthy/natural, and stay moving, you won't need all this medicine.

I think some day we'll look back and be horrified at the processed food we eat. Like the old saying, if your grandmother wouldn't have recognized it as food, don't eat it.
One thing about the cemetery, I think generally infirm people died very young. Those who made it past 20 were probably good to go. I guess if my child had a chronic illness, I'd be glad for the medicine.

Where we went wrong (I think) is allowing Pharm companies to direct market. Now people go see the doctor already asking for specific meds because the guy on TV was running and swimming and getting laid. Listen some time to the list of side effects that they sneak in at the end.

And the money is in chronic treatment, not cures. They want you taking Superfantastica for life. But I digress.

I'll have to look as see if there are any long term studies on SSRI's. I took Zoloft briefly many years ago and then Chantix for a while when I was getting off Tobacco. I started having really bizarre dreams and just some weird states of mind. I got off that stuff right away and kicked the tobacco habit with replacement therapy.
I just wonder if someone who was already out there could be pushed over the edge with some of that stuff.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 10/06/2015 11:28 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I think ADHD meds and calling a hyper kid a sick kid needing meds is the sorriest excuse a parent can have what a cop out. I know a kid who took ridalin and it stunted his growth and after a year of that would not be suprised if he flew off the handle....maybe these guys took ridalin??? Also adrerol and other adhd meds are better than cocaine as a high but can leave someone feeling very depressed, I could see how if someone had twisted thoughts or low self asteem after being high as Fuh on those meds may do somehting terrible once they crashed.

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 10/06/2015 11:44 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

...... and then Chantix for a while when I was getting off Tobacco. I started having really bizarre dreams and just some weird states of mind. I got off that stuff right away and kicked the tobacco habit with replacement therapy. I just wonder if someone who was already out there could be pushed over the edge with some of that stuff.

My wife just started taking Chantix to stop smoking, think I may take her fingerprints out of the memory of my gun safe....

Regarding the statement of BigPharm, I'd like to remind everyone of the following, this very well may be the reason there is no serious discussoin about them:

http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?showYear=a&indexType=i    (notice what the top lobbying industry is?)

Edit: Also notice what industry is not on the list (weapons/guns), coincidence that they are being brodcasted as the culprit, and not the top donor? I doubt it.......

10/06/2015 11:47 AM

bob3000

Originally posted by: obx2 because these people were living in the sticks, with minimal luxuries of the modern time, without all the medication we now have, and they were still living into their 70s. My take away is if you eat healthy/natural, and stay moving, you won't need all this medicine.

in other news - water is wet. 1/5

10/06/2015 11:50 AM

obx2

Originally posted by: bob3000
Originally posted by: obx2 because these people were living in the sticks, with minimal luxuries of the modern time, without all the medication we now have, and they were still living into their 70s. My take away is if you eat healthy/natural, and stay moving, you won't need all this medicine.

in other news - water is wet. 1/5

10/06/2015 12:05 PM

Wookie

Hey man, I usually find that when B3K kicks me to the curb I deserve it.  He's an equal opportunity curmudgeon.

Wiki wiki

10/06/2015 12:09 PM

bob3000

gracias wook. and yah obx. All that ain't nuthin new brah. Tighten up.

10/06/2015 07:02 PM

dingpatch

I am one of the lucky ones. Born in 1951. My father was a Marine Corps Drill Instructor when I was was born. He got out right after I was born, but once a Marine, always a Marine, , , , ,. I only ever "did something" once, because after the first time he beat the living shit out of me for doing it. Never did it again. He taught me to eat; "What is it?", "Eat it." "Yes sir."

Big pharm drugs are out of hand. Instead of "yes mam, we have something for your son", it should be "honey, he's 5 years old, just how in the hell do you think he should act, , , ,?

"Participation" trophies are utter BS. Just how in the hell do you think that the dolt you raised is going to be treated at his first place of employment??!!

Dora Hates You
 10/07/2015 06:38 AM

obx2

And then there is this, self entitled little sh!t:

http://news.yahoo.com/connecticut-university-student-arrested-over-mac-cheese-214149018.html

Too bad spanking is frowned upon now-a-days....progress!!!

10/07/2015 07:03 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

Too bad spanking is frowned upon now-a-days....progress

Yep....that's exactly what 'time out' gets you.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : More Examples

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .