Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Amendment 2
Topic Summary: Medical Marijuana
Created On: 10/24/2014 08:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/24/2014 08:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

surfspaz

Joined Forum: 09/16/2005

Discuss..
 10/24/2014 08:46 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

For

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 10/24/2014 08:56 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I have already voted against it. The whole thing is build upon a lie. Unlike any other drug out there, this one has not undergone the required FDA testing. As of now, we have no idea as to the benefits or detriments associated with this drug. This medical marijuana initiative is simply legalization with a misleading name.

I :heart; Q
 10/24/2014 09:01 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

For. The FDA has had over 100 years to test but they were prevented by the textile industry and those who thought reefer would make white women dance with jazz men.

I think there's ample real world evidence that the risks are minimal, especially compared to the the scourge of opiates. Those two guys in Indialantic weren't gunned down over buds.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 10/24/2014 09:04 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

For.

There is no good reason for the government to intervene with people making a private choice to treat themselves with an herb that's safety and efficacy has been known for centuries. They have plenty of idea of the benefits and detriments, they should be able to make this choice themselves.

(of course it will eventually lead to full legalization)

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 10/24/2014 09:15 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

For.

Even though I am annoyed by the many promoters that are just stoners looking to rationalize their hobby by making fantastical claims about the miracles of hemp. 

There's no reason for it to be illegal.  So it is fine by me if letting folks that are undergoing chemo, or some other situation in which pot is a nice analgesic, have pot is a step toward legalization.

10/24/2014 09:24 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

No

Medical does not allow people to make a choice to ingest a herb. It allows licensed health care professionals to give you that choice. WG , what you are talking about comes under legalization or decriminalisation.

Most MDs that I know are definitly against this. Without FDA trials there is no way an MD should be perscribing the skunk. Who knows what the potency and dosage should be.

IMO this is a bs ruse by the NOmRL people.

Risks are minimal??? RT my man, have you put any tree in you lately? Bro, this aint your fathers hippy lettuce. A short while back a friend of mine gave me a quarter of a small cookie. Needless to say it was way beyond what I expected.

Not that I care that much but if approved this puts the cops in a very tough situation.

For all I know it should be what it is. With a twist: decriminalized.

I dont agree with pablo on anything, but he has scored 1 debate point here.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 10/24/2014 09:29 AM

Barneysfrank

Joined Forum: 10/14/2014

Originally posted by: tpapablo I have already voted against it. The whole thing is build upon a lie. Unlike any other drug out there, this one has not undergone the required FDA testing. As of now, we have no idea as to the benefits or detriments associated with this drug. This medical marijuana initiative is simply legalization with a misleading name.

Surely nothing is safe to ingest until it has the Federal Government's seal of approval on it, right? I'm 90% sure you're just taking the piss out of the Democrat's which is enjoyable, but in the event that your not that's a disgusting display of suckling at the teat of big government. The FDA could easily prove that MJ effectively treats a variety of ailments, it's just other beurauecrats at the DEA would be out of work, so like Union ninny's, they predictably clump together to protect all of thier incomes. 

Full legalization of marijuan and cocaine sooner rather than later. 

Two Finger Ring 

10/24/2014 09:34 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

No MDs will be able to prescribe it. Not legal to prescribe under federal law.
Just recommend it. Just like they might recommend a glass of wine or getting soem more sleep.

Yes, there is some potent stuff out there these days. Especially edibles, dosage is tricky because the effect takes so long to come on
Unaccustomed people who consume edibles without knowing what the dosage is can get a pretty unpleasant experience.
Unpleasant, but that's about it. Not health or life threatening.

High potency herb and concentrates exist in part because medical users can develop quite a tolerance, but more importantly criminal laws that base penalties on weight always drive drugs toward greater concentrations.

This law will help with that also. We have Colorado's experience to follow.
Shops there are already responding to the market, producing edibles with low and clearly labeled doses.

Medical first is a proven good way for the industry to develop.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 10/24/2014 09:39 AM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

If you're against the legalization of marijuana, then you would also be against alcohol, nicotine, and 18 year olds going to war, right? There are much worse things, than a little bit of herb and there are studies which prove the effects of marijuana are no worse than alcohol. However, if you are so against it, then why not vote for prohibition at the same time?

10/24/2014 09:51 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: tpapablo
Unlike any other drug out there, this one has not undergone the required FDA testing. As of now, we have no idea as to the benefits or detriments associated with this drug

I didn't read the history of its clinical trials or FDA approval cycles, but Marinol (a synthetic version Big Pharma can make money on) is already available by prescription.
 10/24/2014 09:56 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

And from the purely capitalist perspective... Payton Manning, who owns 20 Papa John's Pizza franchises, has this to say:

"There's some different laws out here in Colorado," Manning said. "Pizza business is pretty good out here, believe it or not, due to some recent law changes. So when you come to a different place, you've kind of got to learn everything that comes with it."

Business is booming
 10/24/2014 09:56 AM

Barneysfrank

Joined Forum: 10/14/2014

Originally posted by: WG   Not health or life threatening. High potency herb and concentrates exist in part because medical users can develop quite a tolerance, but more importantly criminal laws that base penalties on weight always drive drugs toward greater concentrations.

Not health or life threatening? Tell that to the kids who stared into the sun for 30 mins. 

The potency effect is indeed real. Since THC is the actual drug, it makes economic sense to produce marijuana with as high THC content as possilbe. Given that 1 gram of 20% THC weed and 25 grams of 1% THC weed have the same amount of 'high', but one carries a felony while the other is just a slap on the wrist, I know which one I'd rather carry around. Same happened with 'shine. Few rookies are going to smoke more than one hit of potent weed anyway, and if you eat some edibles with 1+ grams of THC inside, you're a fucking idiot and deserve any ill effects you experience. I can't imagine a grown man complaining he blacked out because he downed a few bottles of  bottles of beer only to realize the beer was actually pure grain alcohol. 

Two Finger Ring 

10/24/2014 09:59 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Morgan and Morgan's John is the main pusher for this, coddled by Tan Charlie--who will benefit?

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 10/24/2014 10:02 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

So it is fine by me if letting folks that are undergoing chemo, or some other situation in which pot is a nice analgesic
scombrid

If its me and I am having to undergo a barbaric treatment like chemo, I would much rather have MD perscribed morphine in some form.

I am for decriminalization or legalization. Pot is like alchohol, pure recreation.

Medical marijuana is farcical. Perfect example of a faction using the media to once again mind fuck the sheeple. Hey are you teabaggers behind this?

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 10/24/2014 10:10 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

tpapablo

Originally posted by: Sector9surf If you're against the legalization of marijuana, then you would also be against alcohol, nicotine, and 18 year olds going to war, right?

What do those things have to do with this discussion. You area prog, yes?

I :heart; Q
 10/24/2014 10:18 AM

3rdworldlover

no, because the war on drugs is very successful, and I'd trust the government institutions to 'rehabilitate' my children if they ever were to get caught with some contraband. Yeah, they might get denied access to a college education and have trouble finding a job too, but that should learn them.

Sure, 40 years of war, and it's still easier for a 12 y/o to find a joint rather than beer, but that just means we need more cops and prisons.

That's what government is for, keep the kids safe from themselves. Lord knows how dangerous free will is.
 10/24/2014 10:21 AM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: tpapablo
Originally posted by: Sector9surf If you're against the legalization of marijuana, then you would also be against alcohol, nicotine, and 18 year olds going to war, right?

What do those things have to do with this discussion. You area prog, yes?

Well, what other reason do you have for not allowing it? It can't be economic as it would probably boost the economy and it can't be safety as it's not any more dangerous than tobacco and alcohol. I'm assuming then the only reason is from some ingrained ethical perspective, which also doesn't make sense because if it's then you would probably be ethically against alcohol, and tobacco as those are also "drugs". I'll admit the 18 year olds going to war is a stretch and probably unrelated to this argument.

My point is that if alcohol and tobacco are to be allowed, then so should pot as the effects of it are no worse according to studies. I just don't see a con of allowing marijuana to be legalized.

"You area, prog?"

I guess so, but I'm just sharing mostly what I've learned in public school. You can thank the school system for that!

Edited: 10/24/2014 at 10:39 AM by Sector9surf
 10/24/2014 10:23 AM

orlandork

Joined Forum: 09/08/2003

For. But I can understand the concern though, due to the overwhelming amount of dirtball scumbags who live Florida they always find a way to exploit any loop hole possible, and the Florida officials are too dumb and slow to react. Case in point the pain management business exploitation that happened. The FDA is a joke, look at all the shit they allow in our food that is banned in most other first world countries. Needless to say I don't take much stock in them whatsoever. Regardless there are many cancer patients wasting away who can benefit from THC's appetite increasing properties. That's just among 1 of many medical benefits, to say there's zero medical value is ignorant.
 10/24/2014 10:34 AM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: 3rdworldlover no, because the war on drugs is very successful, and I'd trust the government institutions to 'rehabilitate' my children if they ever were to get caught with some contraband. Yeah, they might get denied access to a college education and have trouble finding a job too, but that should learn them. Sure, 40 years of war, and it's still easier for a 12 y/o to find a joint rather than beer, but that just means we need more cops and prisons. That's what government is for, keep the kids safe from themselves. Lord knows how dangerous free will is.

Maybe it should be considered why getting alcohol is more difficult than a joint? Legalization, will just enforce regulation, but in different ways, which allow Americans the freedom of choice. I really don't think there's much of a difference in being able to get either one. I remember in highschool being at parties where there was both. It being illegal didn't stop anyone. My opinion is it depends on the cultural acceptance or denial more than the law. I think that strict regulation will be more effective, than making something purely prohibited as this just creates underground markets. (For an example take a look at prohibition back in the days)

Edited: 10/24/2014 at 11:52 AM by Sector9surf
FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Amendment 2

1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .