Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Solar Power Could Provide Almost One-Third of World's Electricity Within a Few Decades
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/30/2014 04:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/30/2014 04:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

http://www.newrepublic.com/art...can-overtake-coal-2050

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 09/30/2014 04:10 PM

TeeBirdTim

Joined Forum: 06/14/2013

It's gonna have to eventually unless we figure out fusion or do a lot better with geo.

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

09/30/2014 06:21 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

yeah, get your system up now as the utility companies will not like any dip in their intake. Expect "maintenance fees" if you have solar and a reduction if you sell back to the utilities. Even the tea party is supporting solar. Yeah, the kook lawyer will have to start talking out the other side of his mouth on that one.
 10/01/2014 04:52 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

mirrors on the ceiling, pink champain on ice

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 10/01/2014 05:01 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Tim's comment about Geo made me think and chuckle, , , ,

The geo-thermal plant in Puna on the Big Island has been gigged/fined for letting too much sulphur get out into the air. Well, yes, of course, those are the rules when operating such a site. But, , , , it's located at a fooking volcanic vent in the first place!

Dora Hates You
 10/01/2014 05:10 AM

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

Right now, solar isn't economically viable for the majority of the public. The government is offering tax breaks for those who install solar, but those tax breaks are going to the upper middle class and rich, who can afford the large up-front investment that is required to receive the subsidy. The sooner that solar is made available at the same price or cheaper than coal, to the masses, will be the day that it overtakes coal as our primary source of energy. The majority of the U.S. population doesn't even know that their power is generated by coal and they don't care. As long as they can plug their Xbox in and it works, then they are good. They just aren't going to volunteer to pay more for it.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
 10/01/2014 05:30 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

It won't be long before we get 80-90% out of solar technology and that will be the game changer. If we had invested in this when Carter suggested it, we would be way ahead of the game right now.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/...-film-solar-cpv-chart/

I was right.
 10/01/2014 05:34 AM

TeeBirdTim

Remember, fossil fuels have built everything you see.  Everything.

They will have to be used to build the next generation of power systems before we run out or we will be in a hole.

Of course, we could just put it all into our gas tanks.

10/01/2014 05:40 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Not economical compared to fossil, yet.  

But you're using it already, like for your computer right now,

especially if you're a local on the forum.  

FPL Space Coast Next Generation Solar Center:  http://www.fpl.com/environment/solar/projects.shtml

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 10/01/2014 05:58 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

3rdworldlover

Big solar plant in martin countt too, solar/gas hybrid system, no coal
 10/01/2014 07:11 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: Cole It won't be long before we get 80-90% out of solar technology and that will be the game changer. If we had invested in this when Carter suggested it, we would be way ahead of the game right now. http://cleantechnica.com/2013/...-film-solar-cpv-chart/

No we won't, and no we wouldn't. I can no longer say Carter was the worst American president, but he richly deserves second place. And this was one of the ignorant policies he implemented that got him there. It is, therefore, no surprise that the worst president in our history is following in Carter's footsteps. It takes a dyed in the wool cretin to take the failed policy of our second worst president and try to revive it. We will have the same results.

I :heart; Q
 10/01/2014 09:16 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

If you pulled your head from between stripper breasts once in awhile, you'd see that the republican party is a dinosaur readying itself for extinction and that your archaic, incorrect way of thinking will be doomed to the annals of forgotten history.

Once solar capacity reaches 80%, the World's power needs will evolve to another level, one that doesn't require fossil fuels.

This isn't a choice, it's fact....fossil fuel is not an infinite resource.

I was right.
 10/01/2014 11:03 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: Cole If you pulled your head from between stripper breasts once in awhile, you'd see that the republican party is a dinosaur readying itself for extinction and that your archaic, incorrect way of thinking will be doomed to the annals of forgotten history. Once solar capacity reaches 80%, the World's power needs will evolve to another level, one that doesn't require fossil fuels. This isn't a choice, it's fact....fossil fuel is not an infinite resource.

Who exactly has said that it is an infinite resource? Who the hell are you arguing with? And at which establishment did you think you saw me with my head between strippers' breasts.

I :heart; Q
 10/01/2014 11:06 AM

bob3000

Joined Forum: 07/13/2004

Originally posted by: Cole If you pulled your head from between stripper breasts once in awhile, .
that's infinitely cleaner than where effKay lePew keeps his!! 3/5 &

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
 10/01/2014 11:07 AM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

Originally posted by: Cole
Once solar capacity reaches 80%, the World's power needs will evolve to another level, one that doesn't require fossil fuels.
This isn't a choice, it's fact....fossil fuel is not an infinite resource.

Wow!

Unreal!

Solar accounts for less than 0.2 percent in the United States.

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 10/01/2014 11:13 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

And at which establishment did you think you saw me with my head between strippers' breasts.
pablo

Didn't happen...dude's head is way too big to fit in between the breasts of a working girl.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 10/01/2014 12:23 PM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

A 2,100-sq-ft home requires a two-ton AC unit with a rated power consumption of 3,500 watts.  Running the AC unit eight hours per day uses 868 kilowatt-hours per month of electricity.  The cost of electricity from the grid per year at $0.10 per kilowatt-hour is $1,044.00.

A 900-kilowatt-hour-per-month solar harvesting array installed costs $67,500.00 and covers 20 x 43 ft. This is the true retail cost without the rebates and incentives.

Solar energy efficiency with current technology is about 33% overall, taking into consideration the angle of the sun during the day, time of year, clarity of sky, rotation of the earth, etc.

The lifespan of the solar array has to be 21 years, because that is the amount of time needed to make the environmentalist crowd's amortization of the debt with government subsidies break even for the homeowner to foot the cost.

Cost of energy to run your AC unit for 21 years is $21,924.00.  Cash return provided by a solar array at 33% efficiency is $7,307.26.  Initial investment in Solar Array of $67,500.00 was amortized over 21 years at 0% interest with no upkeep or maintenance costs.  Your return on investment: spend one dollar and get $0.12 back.  Net loss: 88% of investment principle.

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 10/01/2014 01:11 PM

tom

^sounds off to me

OUC suggests that a solar system 1/2 that size will save you over $1000/yr (or $750/yr if you back out the solar credit)

Cost of the system suggested above is a bit high but in the ball park.  

So, 21 years worth of energy (at double the OUC system so it's close to the example) would be around $33K, not $7.3K suggested above.

So, spend $1 and get 0.50 back.  Not economical, yet.  But getting there.

Always consider the source, and do your own math.

OUC source here:  http://www.ouc.com/docs/customer-brochures/solar_energy_guide_res.pdf?sfvrsn=2

American Thinker article here:  http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/07/the_real_cost_of_solar_energy.html

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 10/01/2014 06:48 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

An article I recently read showed the Florida percentage at roughly 2% for solar by end of 2014. FPL & friends were discussing that 2.4% breaks their margin and they would begin to lobby to reduce the buyback incentives at that point. I would agree that it makes sense to open that up for wholesale values, which is what will most likely be the first step. I reckon that gives you rich middle classers about three years max to cash in on any incentive and or grandfather yourself in unless you don't plan on the typical buyback option to the grid. Oh, by the way, they are looking to make people not hooked up to the grid at all as illegal. Who is my tea party contact to argue my freedom on that?
 10/01/2014 07:41 PM

TeeBirdTim

No, we ain't ready yet; I think that's pretty clear.

Supply and demand will fix that.

Here's to hoping it's a smooth transition when it happens.  Without getting our asses handed to us by folks that are ahead on it.

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .