Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: If you had BILLIONS.....
Topic Summary: what would you spend it on?
Created On: 09/18/2014 12:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/18/2014 12:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goats...up-anti-ebola-efforts

Or if you are the Koch blockers, you would spend literally 270 Million dollars this year alone on politics.

The Gates foundation is spending 50 million on philanthropy.

Where would an alleged Christian understanding of these two decisions fall?

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/18/2014 12:23 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

1. Feed homeless Vets.
2. Renew my passport.
3. Select a stable of strippers for "Travel Companions".
4. Procure estates on each of the Hawaiian Islands.
5. Get a condo in Denver.
6. Take my 2ndlight buds on a 1st Class surf safari.
7. Reserve a 60+ foot yacht, and a pack of other smaller craft, for next year's Chopes contest.
8. Eliminate feral cat colonies.

Dora Hates You
 09/18/2014 06:00 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

nice list ding

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 09/19/2014 04:27 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

09/19/2014 10:12 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

It only takes a few million to live well.
I would spend most of it fighting poverty and looking for a way to help the world end it's addiction to fossil fuels.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 09/19/2014 02:20 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: dingpatch 1. Feed homeless Vets. 2. Renew my passport. 3. Select a stable of strippers for "Travel Companions". 4. Procure estates on each of the Hawaiian Islands. 5. Get a condo in Denver. 6. Take my 2ndlight buds on a 1st Class surf safari. 7. Reserve a 60+ foot yacht, and a pack of other smaller craft, for next year's Chopes contest. 8. Eliminate feral cat colonies.

Solid list there, Ding. Reminds me that I need to renews my passport.

With regard to the original question, the Kochs do the greatest good. They are trying to keep the system that creates the Bill Gates of the world from being destroyed by the PiC and the progs. In other words, money toward feeding the goose that lays the golden eggs is better spent than that used buying a golden egg, some of which will go to whatever charity the buyer likes.

So far as what I'd do, not much materially. Maybe get a Ferrarri and upgrade my house in Tampa. I'd spend most of it destroying progs, i.e. I'd spend it in accordance with my Christian values.

I :heart; Q
 09/19/2014 02:38 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: tpapablo
Originally posted by: dingpatch 1. Feed homeless Vets. 2. Renew my passport. 3. Select a stable of strippers for "Travel Companions". 4. Procure estates on each of the Hawaiian Islands. 5. Get a condo in Denver. 6. Take my 2ndlight buds on a 1st Class surf safari. 7. Reserve a 60+ foot yacht, and a pack of other smaller craft, for next year's Chopes contest. 8. Eliminate feral cat colonies.

So far as what I'd do, not much materially. Maybe get a Ferrarri and upgrade my house in Tampa. I'd spend most of it destroying progs, i.e. I'd spend it in accordance with my Christian values. 

Translated from lawyer speak:  > Hookers and blow, baby!!<

All teasing aside, I like Ding's list, too.  Mine would be a variation on that without the strippers.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 09/20/2014 05:11 AM

tom

Set up a foundation, hire a couple of hungry recent grads,

tell them their salary is commensurate with the amount of "good they do" (my opinion only),

and turn them loose. 

Oh, and order a new Neilson!

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 09/20/2014 05:43 AM

PROG

Joined Forum: 09/20/2014

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Solid list there, Ding. Reminds me that I need to renews my passport.

With regard to the original question, the Kochs do the greatest good. They are trying to keep the system that creates the Bill Gates of the world from being destroyed by the PiC and the progs. In other words, money toward feeding the goose that lays the golden eggs is better spent than that used buying a golden egg, some of which will go to whatever charity the buyer likes.

You're the Jar Jar Binks of 2nd Light. Yousa no funny and yousa are an ass. 

09/20/2014 06:07 AM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

Awwwww....look....Mike is back!

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 09/20/2014 06:13 AM

PROG

Joined Forum: 09/20/2014

Originally posted by: Fish Killer Awwwww....look....Mike is back!

Guess again, Yosemite Sam.  Unlike Mike the "Christian" I don't share your devotion to religious oppression of my fellow man. Separation of church and state is the law, and that's the way it should be. 

09/20/2014 06:17 AM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

Originally posted by: PROG

Originally posted by: Fish Killer Awwwww....look....Mike is back!

Guess again, Yosemite Sam.  Unlike Mike the "Christian" I don't share your devotion to religious oppression of my fellow man. Separation of church and state is the law, and that's the way it should be. 

My bet is that you and he are the same...time will tell.

Either way...'they' will prove you to be the a** that you obviously are.

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 09/22/2014 08:23 AM

johnnyboy

The Koch addicted politicians of the "conservative" persuasion are purchased and used throughout their elected terms in a way that lets the Kochs display their political power the same way that their mistresses display their jewelry. All of that money, and its astounding how much is there, can be used for more than a continuing pursuit of concentrating more power. Some billionaires actually pay their taxes and seek out new ways to use their money to fight disease, to make clean water available, to fight malaria and seek independence from non sustainable, polluting energy sources. I would bet that most would think that this approach, the enlightened self interest approach, is better than the purchasing of politicians and fight against everyone except the uber wealthy.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/22/2014 08:58 AM

tpapablo

I have always thought it odd that non-Christians nonetheless invoke Christianity to argue for some bizarre point they wish to make. If a prog thinks Christians are full of crap, why would they support their argument with that which is full of crap?

09/22/2014 10:44 AM

crankit

"So it can’t be a coincidence that a bio-warfare lab in a Sierra Leone hospital, with a list of investors that reads like a Who’s Who of the New World Order, including known eugenicists George Soros and Bill and Melinda Gates, is at the centre of the Ebola outbreak in Africa."

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 09/22/2014 12:08 PM

johnnyboy

It must seem bizarre to you that a Christian invokes the completely insane rule of treating others like they want to be treated and actually wonders how other self professed Christians, many of whom which very publicly profess their alleged Christianity, can operate in a way that so clearly contradicts that Christian Commandment, i.e. amassing a collection of politicians for the purpose of weakening all forms of government so that their money can finally overrun the court system, law enforcement and every regulatory agency in the sheep's clothing of Capitalism and free market enterprise. Religion is useful to these robber baron types, it keeps sheep like Tpap thinking that they are faithful to God, ironically while worshipping their God: Money. Can you imagine if the Koch brothers sent back in time to actually hear Christ's sermon on the mount? They would probably pay Romans to kill him in his cell, pay for the fake news to report that his own people killed him in a prison riot and that his lesson to posterity was that hard work and an unquestioning work ethic was the path to paradise.

09/22/2014 12:19 PM

tpapablo

Think you need to start by getting your facts right. Seems pretty Christian to me -

Since 2000, David H. Koch Charitable Foundation has pledged or contributed more than $750 million to cancer research, medical centers, educational institutions, arts, cultural institutions, and public policy studies.[12][23] Since 2006, the Chronicle of Philanthropy has listed Koch as one of the world's top 50 philanthropists.[24]

Koch says that his biggest contributions go toward a "moon shot" campaign to finding the cure for cancer, according to his profile on Forbes.[12] Between 1998 and 2012, Koch contributed at least $395 million to medical research causes and institutions.[25]

Koch sits on the Board of Directors of the Prostate Cancer Foundation and has contributed $41 million to the Foundation, including $5 million to a collaborative project in the field of nanotechnology.[26] Koch is the eponym of the David H. Koch Chair of the Prostate Cancer Foundation, a position currently held by Dr. Jonathan Simons.

In 2007, he contributed $100 million to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to help fund the construction of a new 350,000-square-foot (33,000 m2) research and technology facility to serve as the home of the David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research.[27] He has given a total of $185 million to MIT since joining the MIT Corporation in 1988.[25]

Arts

In July 2008, Koch pledged $100 million over 10 years to renovate the New York State Theater in the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts (now called the David H. Koch Theater),[34] and has pledged $10 million to renovate the outdoor fountains at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.[35]

Koch has been a trustee of the American Ballet Theatre for 25 years[36] and has contributed more than $6 million to the theater.[37] He also sits on the Board of Trustees of WGBH-TV, which produces more than two-thirds of the nationally distributed programs broadcast by PBS.[38]

Education

Koch contributed $7 million to the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) show Nova,[39] and is a contributor to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C., including a $20 million gift to the American Museum of Natural History, creating the David H. Koch Dinosaur Wing and a contribution of $15 million to the National Museum of Natural History to create the new David H. Koch Hall of Human Origins, which opened on the museum's 100th anniversary of its location on the National Mall on March 17, 2010.[40] In 2012, Koch contributed US $35 million to the Smithsonian to build a new dinosaur exhibition hall at the National Museum of Natural History.[41]

Koch also financed the construction of Deerfield Academy's $68 million Koch Center for mathematics, science and technology,[42] and was named the first and only Lifetime Trustee.[42]

Koch gave $10 million to the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory[43] where he was honored with the Double Helix Medal for Corporate Leadership for supporting research that, "improves the health of people everywhere".[44]

09/22/2014 12:33 PM

johnnyboy

270 million THIS YEAR estimated on influencing elections. THe last 14 years show 750 million, and while I wonder how much that generosity alleviated his tax bill, one need only to compare that expenditure to this election year projection. That's a staggering sum of money even by his standards. What does it buy him?

09/22/2014 01:31 PM

crankit

Soros' contributions for johnny--

http://www.campaignmoney.com/political/contributions/george-soros.asp?cycle=14

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 09/22/2014 04:39 PM

surferclimber

Joined Forum: 01/23/2011

Firstly I'd buy my girl some new boobs...she's been saying here's are to big and uncomfortable for too long so that's important.

Secondly I'd buy up every ocean front home from coconuts south to 20ish south so we can make sure our home doesn't become a condo canyon ( I'd rent those homes super cheap to fellow local surfahs )

Then I'd save a bunch for future family, live modestly - OK few nice vacations bora bora here I come - but open up a grant opportunity for college kids, or high schoolers too, with ideas on how to improve things ranging from healthcare to beach erosion to food prices...whatever has merit IMHO and I would do this over and over on an individual case giving them the means to change and build their lives / careers. Whatever it may be case by case perhaps funding college tuition for somebody who doesn't think can afford or funding a summer research project for a teacher who otherwise couldn't do it because otherwise would need to work some part time job in summer to make ends meat etc etc etc case by case one on one interviews.

Also I'd probably buy a new car and not pay so much attention to the spped limit on i95

get up early and go surf - it'll make that hangover go away and/or make the workday more tolerable :)

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .