Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How the Republicans could reinvent themselves
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/21/2014 12:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/22/2014 10:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

Originally posted by: eibla

Gotta love how muddled thinking Repugnicans howl on how the ACA is terrible! People still have no healthcare, costs more blah blah blah, all their vitriol goes to Obama when in fact THEY are the cause. In totally rejecting a single payer system a la Medicare or the VA they went kicking and screaming to a LESS economical system.........

The Democrats passed Obamacare all by themselves. How did the Republicans prevent them from going single payer?

I don't really need an answer to that question because I'm pretty positive it would be as worthless as the original statement.

-------------------------
"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
 07/22/2014 11:20 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

All I want is to repeal the tax subsidy for employer provided care.  Get rid of that and the rules that now require insurers to cover all comers and we'll have a real market based system where people go out and shop for the coverage that is offered based on their condition and ability to pay.   

While we're cutting the market distorting employer provided insurace subsidy let's cut the marginal rate and get rid of all the "deductions" that do nothing but fuck up every market they touch. 

No more home mortgage interest deduction, no more child tax credit, no more 50 page income tax returns.  No more fucking FHA housing subsidy bullshit.

People pay some fixed income based tax rate that is sufficient to fund government and quit fucking around with the tax code and using the tax code for vote buying and social engineering.  No more of that crap.

07/22/2014 12:42 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: scombrid

All I want is to repeal the tax subsidy for employer provided care.  Get rid of that and the rules that now require insurers to cover all comers and we'll have a real market based system where people go out and shop for the coverage that is offered based on their condition and ability to pay.   

While we're cutting the market distorting employer provided insurace subsidy let's cut the marginal rate and get rid of all the "deductions" that do nothing but fuck up every market they touch. 

No more home mortgage interest deduction, no more child tax credit, no more 50 page income tax returns.  No more fucking FHA housing subsidy bullshit.

People pay some fixed income based tax rate that is sufficient to fund government and quit fucking around with the tax code and using the tax code for vote buying and social engineering.  No more of that crap.

and all I want is to win the Powerball Lottery .... our odds are about the same

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 07/22/2014 12:50 PM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

a real market based system where people go out and shop for the coverage that is offered based on their condition and ability to pay.  

IF they have a bad condition OR if they just don't have the ability to pay...

what then.... go away from the real market based system that in theory doesn't care if you can't pay? Or say so sad to bad???

Oh, rules that require insurers to cover all comers... that doesn't sound like a real market... unless they can say sure we cover that $50K down and $20K a month... 

07/22/2014 01:15 PM

scombrid

Originally posted by: somebodyelse 

IF they have a bad condition OR if they just don't have the ability to pay...what then...go away from the real market based system that in theory doesn't care if you can't pay? Or say so sad to bad???

I reckon it's just too bad if someone didn't lay enough aside to pay for medical care.
Or do you want the government as a backstop? 
Or do you think it is right for the government to force employers/insurers to cover these people?
Oh, rules that require insurers to cover all comers... that doesn't sound like a real market...

It isn't a free market if insurers are forced to take in people that they don't want.  That's why I think that provision along with the rest of ACA should be dumped.  But I don't want to stop with ACA when the ax is swinging.  The tax code needs chopped to bits too.

unless they can say sure we cover that $50K down and $20K a month...

You want price caps too?

07/22/2014 01:45 PM

LBLarry

Originally posted by: somebodyelse 

IF they have a bad condition OR if they just don't have the ability to pay...what then...go away from the real market based system that in theory doesn't care if you can't pay? Or say so sad to bad???

I reckon it's just too bad if someone didn't lay enough aside to pay for medical care.

Or do you want the government as a backstop? 

Or do you think it is right for the government to force employers/insurers to cover these people?
Oh, rules that require insurers to cover all comers... that doesn't sound like a real market...

It isn't a free market if insurers are forced to take in people that they don't want.  That's why I think that provision along with the rest of ACA should be dumped.  But I don't want to stop with ACA when the ax is swinging.  The tax code needs chopped to bits too.

unless they can say sure we cover that $50K down and $20K a month...

You want price caps too?

did you actually just advocate for people to die that can not afford the medical care they need?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

07/22/2014 01:53 PM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

did you actually just advocate for people to die that can not afford the medical care they need?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
lbl

I believe you have broken the code that teabaggers communicate in. Of course that is what they want. They pose no other solution, so it is assumed.

Kind of like how when teabaggers bitch and moan about everthing that Obama does. You know when they personalize . Like : all the problems on the border are Obamas fault, or the airliner got shot down because of Obama, Its Obamas fault that the Israelis and Palestinians are fighting...what is the teabaggin code here?

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 07/22/2014 02:20 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: jdbman
lbl I believe you have broken the code that teabaggers communicate in. Of course that is what they want. They pose no other solution, so it is assumed. Kind of like how when teabaggers bitch and moan about everthing that Obama does. You know when they personalize . Like : all the problems on the border are Obamas fault, or the airliner got shot down because of Obama, Its Obamas fault that the Israelis and Palestinians are fighting...what is the teabaggin code here?

The progs are advocating that sick people be allowed to die, not us. But I am in favor of it.

I :heart; Q
 07/22/2014 02:21 PM

LBLarry

Originally posted by: jdbman

lbl

I believe you have broken the code that teabaggers communicate in. Of course that is what they want. They pose no other solution, so it is assumed.

Kind of like how when teabaggers bitch and moan about everthing that Obama does. You know when they personalize . Like : all the problems on the border are Obamas fault, or the airliner got shot down because of Obama, Its Obamas fault that the Israelis and Palestinians are fighting...what is the teabaggin code here?

That was scom's posting I highlighted and asked about ... normally I would not put him with the TB'er crowd .... but given the ad nauseum times he has posted his insurance "solution" (which has a snowballs chance of ever getting done) ... he just might have snapped and jumped the shark.

07/22/2014 02:37 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

This is why Europeans think we're stupid.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 07/22/2014 02:50 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: RustyTruck This is why Europeans think we're stupid.

They have good reason to think we are stupid - any country that votes in the PiC can't be all that smart. That aside, the Europeans are stupid. There is a reason we divorced ourselves from them and, in particular, their forms of gov't.

I :heart; Q
 07/22/2014 03:22 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

We're the Walmart of the world. Cheap to visit but full of freaks.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 07/22/2014 05:40 PM

scombrid

Edited: 07/23/2014 at 06:21 AM by scombrid
 07/22/2014 05:45 PM

UpperDecker

Joined Forum: 08/08/2010

linton is right; ACA still hasn't done anything about the cost per unit of care

also, when that holy grail of single-payer is achieved, and costs continue to skyrocket because more people take advantage of more services, and nothing is done to lower the unit cost, services will have to be restricted

you can declare health care to be a right, but until you specify what level of health care and how it will be funded, it means nothing

you can't force doctors to work

scom is not a teabagger; it's sad how you guys resort to insults when someone offers a contrary opinion
 07/22/2014 06:02 PM

scombrid

Originally posted by: LBLarry  did you actually just advocate for people to die that can not afford the medical care they need?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

There's really nothing in my market based reforms that preclude a public backstop, except that I'm told these days that health care is not a right and that nobody should be forced to pay for somebodyelse's health care. 

So why not push through a free market solution with no public option and let the chips fall where they may?  It is what the public wants right?

And the free market solution that I advocate will never come to pass.  That I know.   But it would be the most cost effective solution, even with a public backstop for those that fall through the cracks.  It would also eliminate all this wrangling over what health care employers will and will not be required to provide.  As it stands, there should be no exceptions.  If a procedure is legal and required of some employers to provide care then that care should be required of all. But we could dump that argument all together if people bought their own insurance.

07/22/2014 06:17 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

But we could dump that argument all together if people bought their own insurance.

Isn't that the idea behind the ACA?

I was right.
 07/23/2014 05:58 AM

scombrid

Originally posted by: Cole But we could dump that argument all together if people bought their own insurance. Isn't that the idea behind the ACA?

Is everybody going to go onto exchanges or are employers of a certain minimum size compelled to offer health care?

07/23/2014 06:04 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: Cole But we could dump that argument all together if people bought their own insurance. Isn't that the idea behind the ACA?

Is everybody going to go onto exchanges or are employers of a certain minimum size compelled to offer health care?

They have to do it or face a fine.

My company pays roughly 10 grand a year for my insurance, the fine they would have to pay if they dropped me is roughly 20% of that total. Isn't it a better deal to pay the fine?

I was right.
 07/23/2014 06:20 AM

scombrid

Originally posted by: Cole  Isn't it a better deal to pay the fine?

Might be for some employers of low paid chattle. 

Most employers are better off buying you the untaxed $10,000 insurance rather than effectively cutting your pay by $10,000 and paying the government the fine, this is especially true if health care was part of the compensation package prior to ACA.

So the combination of the tax subsidy and now the fine for not offering employer provided plans pretty must garrantees that employers will have to offer ACA compliant plans. 

07/23/2014 06:29 AM

scombrid

Originally posted by: jvlinton if you shattered marketplace collusion among the hospital-industrial complex, made insurance more competitive,

How do you accomplish that with a populist movement?

It order to accomplish this goal you need to remove the tax subsidy for employer provided care.

The hospital-insurance complex would destroy any candidate that suggested such with populist campaign ads about that candidate raising taxes.

threw out all these ridiculous federal requirements

Again, the populists will get turned upside down with the campaign ads.  Populists are convinced now by the ad-men that ACA is taking away freedom with the ridiculous federal requirements and that Hobby Lobby is fighting for freedom.  You try to take away requirements like guarranteeing coverage to people with pre-existing conditions and the ad-men will turn those populists right round the other way.  The big money got what it wanted with ACA.

got rid of kickbacks for the doctors, threw out all these ridiculous federal requirements -- and voucherized people below a certain income threshold at 100%, 95%, etc. -- while neither the Left nor Right would completely like this, it would be immensely better than the hash we have done.

The ACA redistributes, but not in the way the Left envisions.  It is not a redistribution from the upper-middle class to the poor; it is rather a redistribution from the middle class to a new tier of middle-managers, bureaucrats (both public and private) and IT people.

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .