Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Oil industry-funded "BEST" study finds global warming is real, manmade
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/30/2012 05:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/30/2012 05:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sirfir

Joined Forum: 02/10/2012

Originally posted by: scombrid Funny.  I wrote in an earlier post:

Some of the skeptics may now acknowledge warming for a couple of days and just attribute any warming to natural causes (causes that they understand no better than they understood how mean temperature was calculated in the first place).  First big snow storm or cold spell and the pseudo-skeptic crowd will be right back to shouting "Where's your global warming now!". 

And then we get:

Originally posted by: sirfir

There are many indiactions that our accuracy in temperatures due to digital products have a part in it and temperatures taken in and around cities where there is much concrete also adds to the increases, how small or large is the question. 
There is also factual evidence that the closer you get to the equator there is not much of an increase in temperature. 
We know for a fact that millions of years ago there were long periods (much longer than man history) of virtually ice free poles (N & S) and the global temperatures were basically fairly equalized in all parts. 

No shit.  You think that climatologists are unaware of that?  Do you really think that the "libruls" on this forum who have advanced degrees in science are unaware of paleoclimate and natural cycles? 

Plus, you either didn't read or you read and failed to comprehend the B.E.S.T. study.  The trends in the warm biased urban stations parallel the trends in the areas that are not warm biased.  The amount of warming estimated in the last century is apparent with or without station in urban heat islands. 

So you have a science degree, who cares.

No matter, it doesn't suggest that any warming is manmade.  Without a doubt, a believe a miniscule amount like I have stated in the past is manmade. 

My question (even with your science degree you wouldn't know this), why do the climategaters only use a small number of years and not millions of years into account.  Maybe this planet hase been here billions of years and the majority of that time there has been very little to no ice, we'll never know because carbon dating and other forms are not that accurate. 

I don't believe a huge tax hike, carbon credits and redistribution of wealth will cool the earth.  If you have a "degree" you should be smart enough to know that.  I don't blindly trust into something that's not known, especially ones who are majorly funded by govt. and their interests. Also, if there is rapid warming, there is nothing to say it's not from something out of our control.

Again, it's speculation.

07/30/2012 06:13 PM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

My question (even with your science degree you wouldn't know this), why do the climategaters only use a small number of years and not millions of years into account. 
I don't get the impression that you've ever read any of the primary literature on the topic. 
Maybe this planet hase been here billions of years and the majority of that time there has been very little to no ice, we'll never know because carbon dating and other forms are not that accurate
So you think Carbon dating is relevant to this discussion but you know emphatically that:

No matter, it doesn't suggest that any warming is manmade.  Without a doubt, a believe a miniscule amount like I have stated in the past is manmade. 
And carbon dating.  Really?  Oh, you mention "other forms".  Can you provide us with a critique of those various "forms"?   

I don't blindly trust into something that's not known,

Great, neither do I.  But I prefer that criticism come from a position of knowledge. 

-------------------------

07/30/2012 07:07 PM

dawnpatroler

Joined Forum: 11/16/2010

^^ I think it's because we only have a limited amount of "real data"

yes there are records of this that and the others ( such as highest and lowest daily temperature, daily rainfall blah ) for hundred of years, but when it comes down to it the "real data" one needs it just isn't there for more than the last few decades. This is due to the fact that the instruments we use to measure these things - say solar energy coming in / solar radiation - have only been built for the last few decades. So it is really still speculation... but speculating & thinking is good as it eventually leads to discovery, didn't somebody once speculate that the world really wasn't flat

And totally agree that "... huge tax hike, carbon credits and redistribution of wealth.... won't cool the earth" but funding education for the youth, science and so forth can't hurt

Get up early go surf.... it'll make your hangover go away and/or the workday more tolerable
 07/30/2012 07:15 PM

dawnpatroler

Joined Forum: 11/16/2010

p.s. of course the million pound gorrila in the room which nobody seems to be talking about much is sustainability... anybody that knows even high school math knows about exponential growth... and our population keep on growing!!!

We are using recousrces faster than mother earth can make them, and when all the trees are cut down- think South America minus the rainforest - they'll be nothing left to be a natural filter / cooler)... so if that happens (when not if IMHO) it's not really going to matter if we created global warming or not!!! as the side effects of that will be much much grater than a few inches of sea level rise

Get up early go surf.... it'll make your hangover go away and/or the workday more tolerable
 07/31/2012 03:36 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Projected population 2050:  9 billion

Projected sea level rise 2050: 13-17"

Projected population 2100:  10 billion

Projected sea level rise 2100:  40-80"

caveat:  All projections are based on models.  All models are based on previous data which are, by definition, incomplete.  All models make assumptions which are, by definition, flawed.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 07/31/2012 05:46 AM

TheLetterTBird

Joined Forum: 10/20/2005

Don't bother with complex environmental computer models. They are just speculation.

NHC, cut it out with the computer-generated cyclone path forecasts. Too speculative.

Learn something.  Anything.  Please.

07/31/2012 07:18 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

07/31/2012 07:21 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Projected number of people currently denying global warming alive in 50 years:   1,000,000

Alive in 100 years:  0

05/17/2018 10:49 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

?,  

05/17/2018 11:26 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Wow. 

You know what's really important that's happened since this thread started?

Weatherunderground has tanked as a decent site for surf related hurricane info!

I blame ....

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 05/18/2018 01:23 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Originally posted by: scombrid

It's still speculation, no matter how you or your scientists try and spin it. Global warming or not global warming..... again, the only truth is speculation.

Wrong. It's physics.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .