Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Help repairing sup fin
Topic Summary: Chipped / ground down on reef
Created On: 07/24/2017 12:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/24/2017 12:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

4thStreetChris

Joined Forum: 09/17/2005

Any advice on repairing a chipped, ground down SUP fin? It's a Naish Nalu fin. Don't know if I should use epoxy or poly repair. Thanks

-------------------------
If you don't go, you'll never know.
 07/25/2017 04:22 PM

spindrift

Joined Forum: 10/28/2016

If its carbon or foam centered, probably epoxy. If its solid and heavy, probably poly. Naish and associates are pretty advanced in composites tho, generally epoxy. Is it a rainbow fin, or directly from robbie?

spindrift

07/27/2017 08:35 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

Rule of thumb is you can use Epoxy over ploy. You can,t up ploy over Epoxy. It might not be worth the effort to repair the fin. It will take a lot of time to properly shape and foil the fin. 

07/27/2017 11:56 AM

spindrift

If you need help let me know. I've shaped lotsa fins, ez deezy. If its a real naish fin it's worth fixing. We sent him and dave kalama some fins for towins when i was doing sailboards

spindrift

08/04/2017 11:35 AM

Wedgefield

Joined Forum: 12/18/2003

pm dingpatch on here, I'm sure he's got a clue
 08/04/2017 04:29 PM

SunriseSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

What about the dingpatch Super Glue repair ??

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 09/30/2017 09:42 PM

TONYlookaround

Joined Forum: 08/29/2004

if you are wanting to save some $ ( can spray paint it) -- the 2 part epoxy (JBWELD) from wallmart sticks well to dry glass that is sanded a bit first.  you can use saran wrap to smooth the lines and keep it from running out before it sets up - JBweld will release from the plastic wrap once it cures and peels off easily.  5 minute setup JBW one is probably more than enough -- but the 30 minute setup one is 2-3x as strong.  either one will get you back into the water soon.  Like $5.   If you will be a repeat offender -- auto repair stores have big tubes of it.  mix even quantity with stick until well blended and work fast.  block sand  after hardened it if you apply too much.  both versions are dark grey in color and have retard strength.  

We call it Jim-Bob Weld.  It's hick tested and hick approved. brother repaired an LS7 aluminum big-block crack with it and it lasted a whole race season.  I repaired a cracked 231 NP heavily-offroaded 4wd transfer case and it lasted 3 years until the wiring harness died on truck - JBW was still like new when I parted it out - seemed stronger than the case.  JBW is not a repair - it's an upgrade. lol.  

it's never too late to have a happy childhood...

10/13/2017 06:31 PM

spindrift

If you want it repaired, actual proven epoxy tech. From pro fin shaper and repair tech. super glue is silly, they're built from epoxy y'all. Does silly glue actually adhere and withstand impact in water. Actually adhere, and last? In my experience, it doesnt actually adhere to shit, other than your fingers.
While epoxy is a long time proven material.

spindrift

Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .