Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Help in choosing a SUP
Topic Summary: SUP for an older guy
Created On: 12/16/2016 06:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/16/2016 06:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Flow

Joined Forum: 11/18/2016

I'm 66 and 5'11' and fit, but I'm having some difficulty popping up and getting into it. The trajectory is down rather than up, so I want to transition to a SUP.  In my better days I surfed an 8-0 Walden Magic, an awesome wave magnet that could do just about anything when the waves were okay and better and a 9-0 Walden Magic when it was small. I'm getting confusing messages about the type of SUP I need.  I'm okay with where I'm at and leaving behind my better days. I just want something that's fun and suited to catching easy waves up to chest high. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

-------------------------
Josh Rubin
 12/16/2016 06:30 PM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

many are available for rent. go wide and long, on flat water at first. go from there. lotsa good coaches in the area. my older brother wails in the monterey ca area on a 9'6" rusty, he's 65. go for it brudda

It's a democratic hoax
 12/16/2016 10:03 PM

all3

Joined Forum: 12/28/2011

Start with a large board, you want it to be easy and fun from the start. Harder than it looks but gets easy real fast. I started with a Jimmy Lewis 11' Cruise Control, now on the 8'9" Worldwide. Have fun!

"I remember South Africa in the late 70's, sleeping on the beach at J-bay, smoking ganja with the blacks. On weekends we'd go to the pub in East London to drink beer and fight with the Afrikaners. They liked to fight, I liked to fight. It was a good time"
 12/16/2016 10:09 PM

all3

Joined Forum: 12/28/2011

Sounds like you got the right attitude, I give the crawler dudes complete right of way. I figure I've gotten plenty of waves in my life and I'm never going to "shred" again.

"I remember South Africa in the late 70's, sleeping on the beach at J-bay, smoking ganja with the blacks. On weekends we'd go to the pub in East London to drink beer and fight with the Afrikaners. They liked to fight, I liked to fight. It was a good time"
 12/18/2016 07:26 PM

PaddlingParadise

Joined Forum: 01/16/2013

Come by Paddling Paradise in Melbourne. We are on the water and have a large selection of boards that you can demo everyday. I have surfed my whole life and still love it, but since I started SUP surfing I catch more waves and can go out more days than I ever have. 

www.paddlingparadise.com

729 N Harbor City blvd Melbourne, FL 32935

www.paddlingparadise.com        

01/09/2017 06:08 PM

MalabarSUP

Joined Forum: 01/09/2017

I am 54 and only been SUP surfing for a little over a year (no surfing experience previous to that).  I am surfing on a 9'4" X 32" BIC Surf SUP and love the board.  I feel that I can comfortably handle 3'-5' as long as it is not too choppy.   I worked with Danny at Paddling Paradise and he helped me find this board.  I would highly recommend stopping by to see Danny.....super nice guy and extremely knowledgable.

01/13/2017 11:00 AM

PaddlingParadise

Joined Forum: 01/16/2013

Originally posted by: MalabarSUP I am 54 and only been SUP surfing for a little over a year (no surfing experience previous to that).  I am surfing on a 9'4" X 32" BIC Surf SUP and love the board.  I feel that I can comfortably handle 3'-5' as long as it is not too choppy.   I worked with Danny at Paddling Paradise and he helped me find this board.  I would highly recommend stopping by to see Danny.....super nice guy and extremely knowledgable.

Thank you.

www.paddlingparadise.com        

02/20/2017 08:44 AM

artz

Joined Forum: 10/30/2014

I am 66 been on a SUP for a couple of years now.  Here is what I found made a few bad choices in  boards talked into buying a board that was right for me. That was too narrow and not very stable.  Then got a board that within weeks was falling apart.  Aftera battle I did geta refund but alot of time lost.   My next board wasa used Riviea 11.6 wide stable and easy to paddle. Learned a lot on that board not the best for surfing. You can surf it and it is very good in little chop and flat water.  The 10.6 is a better board for surf again wide and stable.  I really enjoy getting on my Sup you will be suprised how good of a work out you can get on flat water.  I do a lot of paddling in the back mangroves.  For a workout paddle into the wind for a couple of miles.  The Sup has helped with my pop ups for surfing.  It's a good core work out.

02/21/2017 06:25 PM

Flow

Joined Forum: 11/18/2016

Thanks for all the great information. I will definitely be following up on it in March.

Josh Rubin
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .