Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Coasters on Eau Gallie
Topic Summary: Health code violations
Created On: 02/14/2019 05:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/14/2019 05:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Retread

Joined Forum: 07/09/2014

I know inspectors can be ball-busters...just curious how all this is being dealt with seeings how they only list 6 of 12 violations - but the beer's good. Via Florida Today Coasters Pub, 971a E Eau Gallie Blvd, Satellite Beach: Had 12 violations including an insulated bin of chili and rice stored outside, old food labels stuck to bins after cleaning, expired reggae sauce, marinara and salsa, live flying insects in kitchen, cutting boards stained/soiled. And they closed Sand on the Beach down...should have been because the service sucks...
 03/04/2019 07:07 AM

DaveFL76

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

Dave @ Coasters here. Sorry; just saw this post.

Just for a little context, every restaurant gets inspected at least twice per year. Last month, Florida Today spotlighted some that were done during the first half of the month.

I don't like the word 'failed' in the headline that they used. Lots of these restaurants have violations like 'server has a bracelet on' or 'part of an old label was still stuck to a bin.' When I hear Failed Inspection, my mind goes to Restaurant Nightmares "Shut it Down!" type things; fines or closures. We weren't in that category, nor were most of the restaurants that story mentioned.

Anyways, at Coasters, our worst violations were three sauces that were a day older than they should have been, and two house flies flying around. In our defense, I'd like to note that the inspector arrived at 8:30 in the morning, during prep time, and before we were open for business, and before we go around and check dates. They were within the date code when we closed for business the previous night and new batches were scheduled to be made. The two house flies. I don't have much to say about that other than those two flies are pushing up daisies now!

Some of the other violations were along the lines of a broken door hinge on the back door, and dust on ceiling air vents. The inspector really has an eye for detail, and unfortunately the newspaper didn't seem to use triage very well when reporting restaurant inspections. They did a follow-up story last week on new batches of inspections and they seemed to focus on ones that were truely bad, rather than 'a sticker was on a bin after it had been washed' type of things.

Edited: 03/04/2019 at 07:37 AM by DaveFL76
 03/04/2019 03:26 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I go there regularly and and haven't died yet. They will get you on picayune stuff that wouldn't worry most people. Sounds like that was the case here. Shoot, inspectors would have a heart attack were they ever to visit my kitchen at home. The dogs running around in the kitchen alone would explode their heads.

-------------------------
I :heart; Q
 03/04/2019 07:36 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

I've eaten there twice since the original post, and it's all good. The chimichurri steak burrito bowl is excellent.
 03/05/2019 05:02 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Had an epic chic sand there last week and some reggae shrimp! Was excellent.
 03/05/2019 05:44 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Most restaurants in this area are pretty dirty. Not sure why but they just don't like to clean with clean rags or they just wipe over the dirt. I eat all over the NE coast, servers and kitchen help see to take more pride in their work than they do down here. Only been to a handful of restaurants in FL that have high standards. Not saying anything bad about coasters. Haven't been there in many many years. Only a few restaurants i'll eat at here lately. Most make me want to vomit when I walk in. I think it is hard to get good help and poor management that causes this here in FL. Take a trip to Philly and see the foodie scene there. You'll know what I'm talking about. Premiere food and service at very reasonable prices. Every restaurant is clean and top notch.

Edited: 03/05/2019 at 05:54 AM by HAPDigital
 03/05/2019 02:26 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I always base my opinion on the bathroom. If the staff/mgmt take care of that, they probably take care of the kitchen. If they don't, I won't eat there (and I'll drink my beer from the bottle, no glass).
 03/05/2019 03:27 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: garcia

I always base my opinion on the bathroom. If the staff/mgmt take care of that, they probably take care of the kitchen. If they don't, I won't eat there (and I'll drink my beer from the bottle, no glass).

Good advice. Most of the restaurants here, I call them sticky tables, have nasty toilets too. What's it take for management to make their staff do the work and be prepared for inspections 24/7? They need Chef Ramsey up in Brevard big time. It's called pride. If you dont have it leave your job, it's not what you were meant to do.
 03/07/2019 11:54 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

I'm a regular at both locations, for years.

Allways good as far as I can tell.

However, I hope that the QSC will get better. Why not be the best? Its not easy for sure.

Flashlight inspections..........

-------------------------
So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .