Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dead and Co. Pre-Sale Amway & Sunrise today
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/22/2017 12:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/22/2017 12:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

For the 3 people on this forum who may be interested, Dead & Company Presale started today for Amway and Sunrise shows Dec 6,7th.  Google search landed code INGOLD to use to unlock pre-sales.  It hurts to say, but the NC show a while back was just OK, maybe John Mayer has blended in better but still not completely diggin' this incarnation.  Will go anyways, as one day Bobby will retire for good... Still 1/10th of the original talent and a big money grab by ALL but at least these 2 shows are local.

09/22/2017 12:42 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

For me, the band died in August '95. (I still fly a tie-dyed banner in August.) Nobody can/will replace Jerry or, more especially, his guitar. I really liked Bob in the early/mid-70s when he brought a bunch of old country songs to the playlist (in my opinion, their greatest period, esp when Donna Jean, and her screeching, was on maternity leave!). In the 80s, Bob decided he wanted to be a rock star and his angst-filled wailing (coupled with the same from Brent) was like fingernails on a blackboard. I still hit "skip" when their songs come on the CD. [Yes, I am old-school. I've changed formats four times (LPs>8-Track>Cassette>CD) and won't do it again.] I went to a lot of shows, but, none since Jerry died. My memories and live-CDs are all that's left and I think that's better than an inferior reproduction, esp one led by Bob.
 09/24/2017 06:23 AM

bus

Joined Forum: 10/01/2007

Some comments

~Thought about coming down and doing the FL run. But scheduling isnt kind to me. PLus the lawn shows are more kid friendly, and there is no way my 7-year old deadhead kid will let me live it down if I dont take him.

~I'll take the Dead Co. shows anytime over what Phil is throwin together these days. 

~I think Bob and Brent saved the band in the early 80's when the only reason Jer played was to buy for herion for his junky self. 

~Yes garcia, I know this aint the Dead on 71-74, but, these guys are playing awesome. Forget what TMZ tells you about Mayer and listen to some shows. Plus, Plus plus...Oteil is the Bomb...

PM with exclusive offer headed you rway.

09/24/2017 08:17 AM

garcia

Bus, I got overwhelmed with nostalgia (as an old man does) and should not have rained on anyone else's enjoyment of the current version. You are right about Bob and Brent in the 80s, but, I was underwhelmed with their version. I thought the 90s showed promise, but ended too soon to know how it would have turned out. (Although, their last show in Tampa SUCKED, not so much for the music as for the crowd. Too few people there for the music and too many just making the scene, drunk as hell and talking thru the music.) But, for me, the mid-70s cannot ever be replicated, and so I've moved on. I hope you all have a great time enjoying this version.
 09/24/2017 04:08 PM

bus

Tampa was my last GD. we were 13th row, so that helped. But you could see that Jer was um, tired.

But , I will say that 70-77 is my most represented in my collection of live GD.

that and 1990

09/25/2017 09:38 AM

SurferMic

It is kinda like a surfer moving to Munich, you would pass on the river wave for a while but sooner or later you say well it is not even close to perfect glassy sets but you try it anyways and find out it is not the same but fun. There are still moments of amazement ... Seeing Clarence Clemmen's last show before he died in W. Palm (he joined Ratdog for a few songs), 2nd Night on Santa Clara was really good.  At least Joan Biaz is not in the mix (Dead 2002 Tampa), that was a trainwreach IMO, Dylan was also way off and ruined a few songs.

Bus - Sunriise has Lawn section or they did during the Steely Dan show, so far I am only going to Sunrise as wifey can't stand Orlando and seat prices are way too high for decent view/sound.

I may go solo or with a firend to Orlando, still n ot sure..

09/26/2017 02:45 PM

spindrift

Joined Forum: 10/28/2016

Bob was, and is, underappreciated as a guitarist, singer, and writer. Go back and listen to the long jams. And bob more than held his own in those, just not as out front as jerry. Watch their acoustic jams together, jerry considered bob his equal.
I worked a show with bob on ratdog. The piano player was johnny johnson, chuck berrys guy. Another completely underated co player. Bob shredded on leads y'all. A true american resource.
Look up netflix video: "the other one" about bob

-------------------------
spindrift

09/27/2017 03:46 PM

bus

been thinking about this thread today...

have some thoughts, insights and listening suggestions forthcoming...

09/28/2017 09:16 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

Tampa was my last GD.

I was at that show!

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 09/30/2017 12:27 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

I'm sorta with garcia it was always Jerry's finger that stirred my soul the most. I especially like the early 90's comeback before he surrendered for good.
I think Mayer is doing well, kinda liked what I've heard so far and I'd like to pay respect to my soul/time brother before he hangs it up (Bob and I share a Birthday)

-edit
Just learned that I also share birthdays with John Mayer!

I didn't get tickets for this one but now think I would like to tag along if anybody has a spare to share or just want's a partner to go with...

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 11/30/2017 04:09 PM

bus

Anyone going?

If so can I send you $ vi apaypal to get a show poster?

12/01/2017 06:28 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

I know a lot of serious (old and new school) Deadheads that swore that Mayer would be the death of The Dead ...... he has won them all over.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 12/05/2017 11:31 AM

SurferMic

I'm going...I'll try to snag a show poster for you Bus, I do not do paypall but I'll take you on your word.  One day it will end...for good.  Mayer is Ok, really good guitarist but I just do not like his voice...would rather see Trey on stage..The "Treyful" Dead 50 yr ann. run was better IMO,  2nd night in Santa Clara was really good.  Looking forward to the show!

12/05/2017 11:51 AM

garcia

John Mayer had an emergency appendectomy last night - http://www.tmz.com/2017/12/05/...mergency-appendectomy/
 12/05/2017 05:06 PM

WG

I may be going, if it's still on.
No word yet, but isn't an appendectomy recovery more than a few days?

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 12/06/2017 09:48 AM

bus

Mic. Thanks! msg me your snail addy,,,

WG, I hope Mayer gets 'healed' in time so you and Mic get to go.  They will reschedule before they give $ back. Maybe on their way to Mexico this spring 

I've caught a few shows this Fall on ''couch tour" via Nugstv ...they keep getting better. Wanted to do a few Fall, but, timing was off. Saving it for the rumored summer tour. Outside shows have less um, 2nd hand smoke for my son (seven) to inhale.

What's weird is I love Trey's guitar tone with phish, but, not in the Dead setting. Didnt like Trey with Phil either. But next summer may be Bobby's last extended tour...so.... 

12/06/2017 11:58 AM

WG

I agree bus, I love Trey with Phish, but he didn't click with the Dead.
Mayer does better, strangely. I would like to hear Tim Reynolds with the Dead too.

I will go when they resched.

"The Dead & Company concerts scheduled for December 7 in Orlando and December 8 in Sunrise in addition to the December 5 show in New Orleans are postponed. All tickets for these shows will be honored for the rescheduled dates. Information on the rescheduled concerts will be announced as soon as possible. Should ticketholders choose to seek a refund, they will be available at point of purchase."

malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
 12/06/2017 05:12 PM

jazzwaves

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Both Florida shows have been postponed.
 12/07/2017 05:01 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Saw the GD way back in 1968 at the Miami Pop Festival.

Pretty good, other than when they did one of their 20 minute "jams" which turned most people completely off, other than the "heads" up front.

The act after the GD was much, much, better, , , , , Flatt & Scrugs with The Foggy Mountain Boys. The crowd actually went wild after hearing the pure musicianship; made them play "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" 6 times!!!!

Dora Hates You
 12/07/2017 07:49 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

How nice of you Ding to come on a thread about The Dead and crap on them.

I mean you can see how most people are completely turned off by the fact that damn near 50 years later, they (and all of their incarnations) still pack stadiums and sell out arena's.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .