Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: New Orleans 2017
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/19/2017 06:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/19/2017 06:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I know it is difficult to watch family vacation photos...so I made a music video! LOL. Watch at your own boredom level.

Took a week long family vaca in New Orleans. I always wanted to visit. Even pre Katrina, but never found an excuse to go. But we decided to go and look for off season, no music festivals, no NFL, slow season for vacation in New Orleans and went last week. It was a bucket list kind of thing.

Overall: I LOVE NOLA. What great place.

Googling ahead of time I'm reading about all the crime and such but we didn't experience any of that. Our Hotel was a block from the French Quarter and we walked everywhere, Uber some, and rode the streetcar places. What a fabulous place for a tourist. So much to do. The food is outstanding. It is a food destination. I think I ate oysters twice a day and never the same recipe. It gets to the point you don't want to waste calories on cheap food so save it for the good stuff. Spicy seafood etc.

Some tourist things we did: WW2 Museum. That rivals the smithsonian, if not better. One of the best museums I've ever been in. Audubon Zoo. Pretty typical zoo. It was pretty good. City Park Sculpture garden, worth checking out. Audubon aquarium, its a good one. Basically just walking around, eating/drinking, and checking out the great architecture. Lots to do and see, we didn't do it all as this was down time so we soaked up some do-nothing hotel room time as well. Wife and I are pretty busy people so it was nice to sleep in and do nothing, drink coffee and walk to a restaurant and again do nothing. LOL.

The Craft Beer Craze has hit NOLA. I had really great local brewed beer everywhere. I'm an IPA lover and plenty to go around. No open container law anywhere in NOLA. So order a beer and get it to go and keep walking.

Speaking of walking, we did a lot of it. It helped burn the calories of the rich seafood. iPhone recorded 6 miles a day. Most we walked in one day was ten.

NOLA has recovered from Katrina. We didn't venture to parts that probably are still hurting but the inner city, French Quarter, Business, and Garden Districts showed no damage. The Superdome was incredible to see up close.

Of course, music...the birthplace of so much. Ragtime, Jazz, Blues, Rock and everything inbetween. Saw a lot of different live bands. So much to offer there. AND, special bonus saw Roger Waters of Pink floyd fame perform there. It was the first time he performed there in 47 years. in the late 60s, Pink Floyd warmed up for the Allman Brothers in a warehouse. Their truck was stolen with 100s of thousands worth of band equipment and they had to cancel their remaining tour. Learned that on a Roger Waters interview with a local newspaper.

Anyway, and again, boring to watch someone's vacation photos, but music vid with the NoLA famous Louis Armstrong Song:

08/03/2017 05:52 AM

harrietdubman

Joined Forum: 11/07/2015

glad you enjoyed your trip. i went to college there then grad school in lafayette. whole 'nother world over there. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOU_Yw7wNeU

-------------------------

sneedeker

08/03/2017 09:17 AM

SunriseSurfer

That was a great video. I really liked it.
Thanks for sharing, thanks for the tour.
GOOD JOB

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 08/03/2017 02:30 PM

Central Floridave

Thanks for checking it out. NOLA was fun. I have more videos from it and if you are really-really bored you can find them on my youtube channel.

good song harrietdubman thanks for the link.
 08/03/2017 05:22 PM

Burry

Wow!! looks like " YooouALL" really had a great time...specially channeling Satchmo !!

Thanks!!!

BurrysBreak

Inflation caused The BIG BANG...look it up!
 08/04/2017 08:08 AM

Central Floridave

Our first restaurant we ate in the french quarter there was a large painting of Satchmo on the wall. The sign said this was the spot where he first started doing gigs at an early age. I don't know if it was for real or just a tourist trap, but was on Bourbon street and across from the Jazz Preservation Hall. I watched the movie "New Orleans" from 1947 starring Louis Armstrong in the early morning hotel room times. He has a great influence of the city today. I guess he was kind of famous!

Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .