Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Has anyone done simple shingle roof repair? Need some advice..
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/19/2019 01:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/19/2019 01:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

I've got black "architectural" shingles on my house- the roof went on in 2003.

I was just up there today and noticed wear on the shingles on the hips- particularly near the edges on the roof near the gutters (probably from palm fronds rubbing against them, etc)

A couple of them look pretty bad right at the fold line of the hip.

I'm wondering if I can just do a simple quick-repair and slap another couple of shingles right over these.

In the past, I've glopped a bunch of Black Jack on worn spots like these- and then pushed a bunch of the loose gravel onto the setting black jack..

but this might be better just putting on new shingles (?)

Any advice? What are those hip shingles called, and how would one go about doing this? (what type of shingle to buy, where to get it, anything else I would need, etc)

Appreciate any help..

I'm also not opposed to hiring someone to come out and do it, I'm just wondering if any roofing company would bother with a task this small..

Edited: 04/19/2019 at 01:23 PM by paddleout
 04/19/2019 01:45 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Or, do what I'm doing, , , , coating the whole roof with the white elastomeric sealant. It seals, "glues down" all of the loose shingle tabs, and dramatically reduces the temperature of the roof and the heat getting into your house. So far, the uncoated portion is too hot to touch at 1 PM, while the coated part is just "warm"!

Fairly easy to do yourself (I'm pouring then rolling) and, as of now, I'm estimating a cost of between $1000 - $1200.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 04/19/2019 02:02 PM

SunriseSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Put up some pictures of what it looks like Howard....

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 04/19/2019 06:04 PM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Yes, pretty easy. Plenty videos on line. If you have shingles from when the roof went on you can cut to fit. It's probably what they did in the first place.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 04/20/2019 02:42 AM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Wrote an long explanation but got deleted. So
Try polo works and does repairs for our roofing
Contractor.
1 (321) 215-1579

Johnny roofing contractor
1 (321) 727-1139

ABC supply for roofing
Materials.
Not sure if they deal
With general public.
+1 (321) 951-4303

Ding~ we use paintable sealants on flat roofs.

Style is what you make it!

Edited: 04/20/2019 at 05:03 AM by palerider
 04/21/2019 04:48 AM

dingpatch

Here's some pics. The first one is a "general" view of the roof with one coat applied. The second is a closer view of the same area.

The third one is the one of interest to me. It is the bare wood beam ceiling in the living room, about 16 feet. The planks are aprox 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick and over that there is an about 1 inch layer of some pretty cheap particle board, and then the roofing plywood with shingles. Some years ago when I went up to the windows to apply the interior sun screen film, I found that the "air" temperature up top was over 100 degrees, while the living area at floor level was about 74. The AC was cranking hard. Talking to my neighbor I find that he dropped his living room ceiling by about 8 inches with the addition of various foam panel and heat reflective insulations. He had found that his living room temp was close to 90, while the bedrooms were only about 72 with his wife having the AC turned down. He "shot" his ceiling up top with his infrared temp gun and got a reading of 111 degrees!! He reports an immediate reduction of almost $100 in his Summer time electric bill!!! I'm going to get a temp gun and run some tests. I'll let you know, , , , ,.

So far, the part of the roof with the one coat of coating is the living room side and it does seem to be a lot "cooler" inside now. I've had the AC set at 80 and it has not come on so far (the chemo from last July has made me feel a lot more "cooler" than before, so no more 76 degree thermostat setting!). And, as I said above, the coated shingles are just "warm" to the touch at 1 PM, while the uncoated shingles are burning hot to my hand.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 04/21/2019 at 04:57 AM by dingpatch
 04/21/2019 06:31 AM

TONYlookaround

Joined Forum: 08/29/2004

ABC is good and I dont think they sell to the "general public". If you pull the permit as home owner and have a licensed/union roofer, that is different and they will then. It's a bit of job security for them, but there are tricks to the trade. What is hard to find is a roofer that will take a tiny job like that right now - they all want the kill for an entire roof. Home Depot has shingles on the shelf for in-store pickup for a spot repair.

it's never too late to have a happy childhood...

04/21/2019 06:46 AM

paddleout

Yeah, not an option to paint the roof white. got an HOA

Thanks for the contractor numbers.

Is there a special type of shingle I should be looking for to do the hips? They look like a square shingle just kind folded over the angle of the hip..

not sure what kind of installion video I should look up for that particular job (?)

I'll probably need to get them from a public-type supply place- Home Depot, Lowes, or anywhere else you may recommend.

Not sure how to get them to match in color exactly.. but at least I have black shingles..

Edited: 04/21/2019 at 06:48 AM by paddleout
 04/21/2019 07:14 AM

TONYlookaround

Joined Forum: 08/29/2004

There is also GULF EAGLE. But go there with plenty of extra time for loading. Don't walk in 30 minutes before they close, go first thing in the morning. Ive bought several patchup items from them - one is a gallon of this tar-paint-stuff that permanently dries and seals in like tar but is more UV stable. It's more like $50 a pail for a spot, but it doesnt fail. I fixed a chimney flashing with it and it never leaked again or needed a 2 year followup. Gulf Eagle is near pineada and US1. They sell shingles and are more of a local mom/pop vs. ABC being a chain. I prefer ABC.

it's never too late to have a happy childhood...

04/21/2019 09:52 AM

dingpatch

I don't know about Lowes right now but, the last time I needed some shingles for a quick repair I went to the N. Melbourne Home Depot on Wickham. I go in and look around and scratch my head. The guy comes up and asks me if I need help. Ya, I'm looking for shingles. "Well, they're right here".

There were a couple packs down on the floor (they probably had a pallet of them up on a shelf somewhere). BUT, , , , they only had the one medium gray color and nothing more. That was it, and it was the only ones they carried in the store. If you needed a shade of brown/tan, you were Out Of Luck.

Dora Hates You
 04/21/2019 03:58 PM

paddleout

Thanks Ding- yeah I figured it might be hard getting a similiar color.

Anybody have a recomendation on a place that stocks various colors, but is open to the public?
 04/21/2019 04:59 PM

dingpatch

Ya, some years ago Home Depot had a pretty good selection of shingles to choose from. Now, not so much. But, you have a selection 20 different "throw" pillows to choose from for your sofa!! LOL

Dora Hates You
 04/23/2019 05:50 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Hard to say without seeing a pic, but if you mean the shingles covering the ridges, you take "3 tab" shingles and cut them into individual squares..... I re-roofed my house myself (with a friend) in 2007 with 30 yr architechtual shingles and havent lost a thing through the past hurricanes..... as far as matching colors, that will be tough.... FL sun and humidity do a job on them, but I'd take one of the bad ones to a local building supply store (not the big box ones)
 04/23/2019 07:02 AM

WaveHog

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Hey Ding. About how many square feet did you have to cover. I'm thinking of doing the same to my roof.
 04/23/2019 11:51 AM

dingpatch

I'll try to get footage tomorrow morning. I was waiting to use my neighbor's infrared thermometer to get a temperature comparison between the coated and uncoated sections but it pooped-the-bed.

Dora Hates You
 04/23/2019 01:43 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

That white elastomeric sealant is interesting. My roof is 25 years old and I can't seem to get enough 'cane damage for the insurance to pay for a new one. I've patched myself before. But, that sealant may be ideal for me.
 04/23/2019 07:38 PM

wbsponger

Joined Forum: 08/04/2003

Careful coating asphalt shingles with elastomeric coatings. Most say they are specifically not for application over shingles. Reason is it is almost impossible to cover uniformly because of gravel and shingle structure. This means water inevitably will get under the coating and become trapped. Trapped water will potentially cause bubbles in coating or worse leaks as water pools and does not run of as it should. Elastos are better suited for metal, wood, concrete etc people do it as ding had done, but if you read the fine print I bet the can says not to
 04/28/2019 11:18 AM

dingpatch

My across-the-street pro-painter neighbor does a lot of roofs with it. The key is to pay attention and do a good, thick, first coat. He does know what you're saying and that is why the first, heavy, coat matters by getting "coverage" and getting into all of the "nooks and crannies" of the shingles.

Now, I did get my hands on an infrared thermometer and just "shot" the house. At 2 PM this afternoon the inside living room ceiling was 93 degrees, the coated shingles (one coat so far) were 116 degrees AND the UNCOATED shingles were 166 degrees.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 04/29/2019 at 04:42 AM by dingpatch
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .