Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: roofing suggestions again
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/21/2018 08:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/21/2018 08:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I asked for roofing suggestions awhile back and got steered toward East Coast/Lucas Fish. Thanks for that. It was a good direction. Out of all the companies that quoted or talked about a metal job they were far and away the most informative and completely free of bullshit. I had a very long conversation with who I assume was Mrs. Fish on afternoon. Talked all the pros and cons of various materials and methods, pointed me to numerous job addresses so I could go see their work, etc... She also pointed me to competitors that they respected that possibly had a shorter wait list. So if I go metal I'll put myself on the wait list for them. Buttt Does anybody know a decent company that works with metal-tile/tile-metal/stone coated steel? (Gerard/Boral or Decra)? Found a company in Ruskin that was statewide but that fell out.

-------------------------

09/22/2018 07:27 AM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Stone coated steel? What are the benefits? From what I hear tile roofs are essentially for aesthetics... The benefits of more expensive roofing options might be negated by the extra cost. While shingles are easily patched/ repaired, tile roofs tend to be discontinued after a short couple of years. I'd imagine it's a similar thing with stone coated steel. (Is that a concrete roof or different?) Also, the benefits of metal roofs depends on the type installed. If it's a metal roof with hidden fasteners then it might last forever, but still has a lower wind rating than shingles and does need repainted/ can rust at some point. (I'm not sure when that would be on the higher quality coated metals, but the cheap stuff definitely will) I'm just curious, what different options were you given when speaking with the contractors?
 09/25/2018 07:31 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Metal covered with aggregate. Looks like tile. Out-performs tile for wind and hail, on paper anyway. Popular out west where earthquakes make engineering for a heavy tile roof onerous. Very expensive but a less expensive option than tile if we have to rebuild our truss structure to accommodate 1000 lbs per square on our 36 square roof. Desire for tile is purely aesthetic. Talked over top end shingle options and heavy gage standing seam galvalume or aluminum with East Coast, Williams, Ti-Con, and a few others. They were all pretty high on the top end Owens Corning shingles with the right underlayment and proper installation. Mrs. hates the look of shingles, even the architectural shingles or the slate-look shingles. Honestly, I prefer the look of a good colored metal roof to any shingle product that I have seen. Shitty metal with exposed fasteners, hippo metal same price and shingle style, has never been in the equation. Have yet to get a quote on tile-metal/stone coated steel. Think the guys doing that are interested in high end properties and not shitty little ranch houses in the burbs. Putting anything but shingles on our house is like putting really nice paint on a shitbox old sedan. I recognize that.

09/25/2018 09:34 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Wait, you've seen my car?!?

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 09/26/2018 11:12 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Personally, I'd go with a gavalume metal roof... unless your house has that Spanish look that lends itself towards tiles.
 09/27/2018 08:42 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

East Coast Roofing Solutions in Cocoa??? Just curious. Appreciate a good reference and the type of contractor you say they are.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .