Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Marriage Counselor recommendations
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/11/2018 12:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/11/2018 12:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

melbournecontractor

Joined Forum: 07/25/2016

Unfortunately, I find myself in need of a marriage counselor. 

The wife and I have not been getting along lately, and I think it's time.

Wondering what people's experiences have been, and if you have anyone in the Brevard area you can recommend.

Should I go with a male, or female, or doesn't matter?

Send me a PM if you don't want to post in public.

Thank you for your help.

06/12/2018 10:13 AM

DHodges34

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

Sorry to hear you're going through that. My wife and I saw Bob Levesque (he's in Orlando though, we were living there at the time) for the better part of two years and we are living proof that a good counselor can absolutely save a marriage. We waited way too long to go and things were really bad to the point where we were separated for well over a year. During that time we saw Bob both individually and together, sometimes as frequently as twice a month sometimes not for eight weeks or so. We've been back together for over four years now and have never been happier.

When you're choosing a counselor I would include your wife in that selection process assuming she's on board. If not don't be afraid to go see someone alone, I wouldn't try to force counseling if your wife isn't on board, just let her know you're going to see someone and that you'd love for her to join you when she's ready. Our counselor said from the very beginning he believed in marriage and that his primary marker of success was saving the marriage but if it wasn't salvageable then our priority would shift to dissolving the marriage in the best way possible for us and our two kids. I only point that out because you'd think all counselors would be in favor of saving the marriage but I've heard horror stories of counselors taking sides very early in the process and there's never any improvement because one spouse ends up feeling marginalized and judged.

Other than that without getting into a huge novel I would say the less ego you both have going into counseling the better, be open to all suggestions, be open to the fact that both you and your wife have things to work on personally and as a couple, etc. And be patient!

Good luck with everything, it's not a fun process but it can really be a saving grace.

Edited: 06/12/2018 at 10:28 AM by DHodges34
 06/13/2018 05:11 AM

FloridianSoul

Joined Forum: 12/17/2007

Dr Tony Ferretti in Melbourne is the man. Great clinical psychologist who's focus is on marriage. 

-------------------------
"If you love NY, take I-95 north"
 06/13/2018 03:20 PM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Rhea Gibbs. (321) 751-0616

-------------------------
Style is what you make it!

Edited: 06/15/2018 at 04:41 AM by palerider
 06/13/2018 07:28 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

It's a pain to do it, but well worth it from what I hear. Self improvement is a beach sometimes.

Edited: 06/18/2018 at 05:59 PM by Sector9surf
 06/17/2018 07:32 PM

melbournecontractor

Joined Forum: 07/25/2016

Thanks DHodges34

for taking the time to write your post- it gave me some hope and was very helpful

I am happy to report that the wife and I are getting along much better these days- immediate crisis averted it seems, but we are still going to go to counseling, as there are things to work on for sure.

Thanks to everyone else who also replied- I appreciate it and will take all advice

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .