Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: They knew long ago
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/01/2018 08:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/01/2018 08:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am to talk to you about energy in the future. I will start by telling you why I believe that the energy resources of the past must be supplemented. First of all, these energy resources will run short as we use more and more of the fossil fuels. But I would [...] like to mention another reason why we probably have to look for additional fuel supplies. And this, strangely, is the question of contaminating the atmosphere. [....] Whenever you burn conventional fuel, you create carbon dioxide. [....] The carbon dioxide is invisible, it is transparent, you can't smell it, it is not dangerous to health, so why should one worry about it?

Carbon dioxide has a strange property. It transmits visible light but it absorbs the infrared radiation which is emitted from the earth. Its presence in the atmosphere causes a greenhouse effect [....] It has been calculated that a temperature rise corresponding to a 10 per cent increase in carbon dioxide will be sufficient to melt the icecap and submerge New York. All the coastal cities would be covered, and since a considerable percentage of the human race lives in coastal regions, I think that this chemical contamination is more serious than most people tend to believe."

Dr Edward Teller ,1959, speaking to the American Petroleum Institute.

Guardian

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 01/01/2018 09:55 AM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

Political.

If I can't post it neither can you!

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 01/01/2018 10:35 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Politics has nothing to do with intelligent people in this day and age. Teller wasn't a sage or clairvoyant in any way, he was simply stating a fact that science can prove. It's a shame more of us didn't pay attention to him.

China, India and the EU are pushing toward all electric vehicles in the next decade and a half, so there is hope for our climate and environment. . . . even if it isn't coming from the United States.

I was right.

Edited: 01/01/2018 at 10:56 AM by Cole
 01/01/2018 10:44 AM

johnnyboy

It is not political. Nor was it in 1959. You have labeled it political to attack not as a fact but as a political fact that feels more like an opinion that should be given the equal respect with differing opinions. It's a lie you sell. The NSR called you out on this and you pitched a fit and behaved badly as if disrespect, foul language and personal attacks were reasonable as your defense, but still using these tools as your offense. Happy new year and go forth and sin like this no more.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

01/01/2018 10:51 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

So don't politicize it.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 01/01/2018 10:56 AM

Cole

What happens to oil if all the other major powers have switched to electric, solar, wind and natural gas?

Will it even be worth pulling it out of the ground?

I was right.
 01/01/2018 12:22 PM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

yep...POLITICAL!

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 01/01/2018 01:22 PM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

It is political, only because the right has made it a policy at the behest of the oil industry via bribes, I mean campaign contributions and lobbying, to turn science into politics.
 01/01/2018 04:10 PM

TeeBirdForever

Joined Forum: 08/21/2016

01/01/2018 06:19 PM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: WG Carbon dioxide has a strange property. It transmits visible light but it absorbs the infrared radiation which is emitted from the earth.

01/02/2018 04:15 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Edward Teller had views on nuclear weapons and national security, some of them quite political.  

At the time he did his talk, I suspect experts expected petroleum supplies to run out before climate change became much of a problem, so there would have been concern over maintaining adequate petroleum feedstocks for important products like plastics.  As it turned out, petroleum and natural gas recovery methods improved unexpectedly.  No one would have forecast Texas to be producing so much of both right now.  

01/03/2018 05:29 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: Fish Killer If I can't post it neither can you!

somebody... didn't get their nap today

FORUMS : NPNR : They knew long ago

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .