Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Next Years health insurance premiums gone up?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/05/2017 10:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/12/2017 07:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Originally posted by: scostuart

Originally posted by: RustyTruck Mine didn't go up much, but if you consider the portion my employer pays, the family coverage I have under BC/BS PPO costs 24,000/year, plus 1,500 individual in network deductible. I forget what the family deductible is. I was just in Australia and visited a couple hospitals for work, and I can tell you that they are able to offer state of the art care for all Australians at a 2% tax levy. They also have access to lots of OTC generic drugs at steep discounts compared to USA. One is albuterol, I picked some up for my son from the local chemist; it's 500% more expensive in the US and requires a prescription. We're getting screwed in the USA, but we still operate on the collective delusion that our healthcare is the "best in the world".

The USA does have some of the best "healthcare" on the planet......you are referring to health insurance.

Two compleletly different topics.

When i use the term "healthcare" I'm referring to the delivery of health services to the population. So called "insurance" is only a means toward that end. The healthcare system of the USA is sadly lacking compared to those of the other developed countries.

-------------------------
Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 11/12/2017 10:45 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: zoomino It’s funny how no one bitches about the in premiums they pay for car, renters or home insurance.  We insure the shit we buy but no one complains about it.  Anyone ever ask your insurance company for a refund when you didn’t file a claim.  God forbid you have cancer or something else comes up NO insurance and you can’t afford care everyone else has to pickup the tab?  Seriously? You value property more than you?  Car and home insurance required but healthcare is required?  Take accountability for yourself and it’s wrong?  Grow up and be an adult for once!  Why do I need need to suffer for your choices?

The problem with health "insurance" is that it is not structured like property insurance. It is structured as a means for aquisition of health care on top of insuring against big losses. 

The cause of that is the tax code that distorted the market and created the huge employer provided plans where health benefits were paid untaxed in lieu of increased salary. 

You may notice that employers don't  provide group property insurance where the guy with the $1,000,000 house in a flood zone pays the same premium as the guy with a $150,000 house up on a hill 20 miles inland. But at work if I buy the "gold" plan and my 64 year old diabetic co-worker buys the "gold" plan we pay the same premium. 

You may also notice that property insurance doesn't pay for maintenance and upkeep yet we expect out health "insurance" to do this.

Property insurance and health "insurance" just aren't analogous as the markets currently function.

11/12/2017 05:47 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

The shark nip on my hand and hernia surgery have me at my $7,000 deductible again this year, so that totals more than $55,000 over the last six years.

I have a HSA through work, not the ACA.

I was right.
 11/12/2017 08:19 PM

zoomino

Joined Forum: 08/19/2011

It’s definitely tricky to figuring out need over necessary but what is the alternative? Many people have coverage now. Without a balanced risk pool how do we make it affordable?  I took a job for less pay but the benefits are great.  It’s a giveand take. Call your car insurance today and ask for a refund what will they say?  

minh

11/13/2017 02:43 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

We fully balance the risk pool over all life stages.
Single payer health care.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 11/13/2017 05:40 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

All insurance is, is another government regulated business scam. IF your insurance is going to save you money then use it. If not, then why have it?

Its just an expensive stress relief or anxiety control for those who can afford it. But for the rest of us, if you can't afford your premiums, how can you pay for the deductible and get quality treatment. IF you can afford it, but want alternative forms of treatment its not paid for either... no one wants to have the responsibility of paying for it either so if you do get that rare or expensive illness insurance is probably not going to cover it. (They want to save $ too so if you are one of those expensive clients, what's to stop them from dropping you soon as you they can.)

1.)Look at the condos whose roof blew off from the hurricane which still aren't fixed. If you were to have saved your monthly premium and put it in an emergency fund savings account you'd easily have been able to hire a crew and repair a roof or just fix it yourself.(Its been over 2 months now at the building down the road from us and it's still vacant and unfixed. I'd imagine it costs a lot more in lost revenue or living expenses waiting on the insurance to do their part.)

2).Accidents do happen, but no need to hand over the money ahead of time for a down the road expense. I'd prefer to save it, invest it, and then cash it back out when you need it...in the mean time routine and preventive maintenance isn't too difficult if you make an effort. As I've heard before it's alot easier to already have the money up front than trying to chase after someone to collect, and I've heard how often people have to hire legal representation to get an insurance payout.

3).Trying to say that everyone needs insurance because its costing everyone else when they don't pay doesn't solve anything. For one the subsidies don't cover the homeless or poverty level income earners. Second, you just can't fix stupid.(I've proven that. LOL).

...What I find most amusing about the insurance industry is that there are groups of people getting paid to collect money from the insurance companies who are paying another group of people to do the opposite. I'm almost positive that this cost is getting passed on to the consumer.

Edited: 11/13/2017 at 07:31 PM by Sector9surf
 11/13/2017 06:21 PM

Cole

IF your insurance is going to save you money then use it. If not, then why have it?

High deductible HSA plans are designed to make you use less medical services. They figure you will think twice before using your own money and they are right, our HR said lack of use is why our premiums didn't go up this year.

I need to get insurance for my insurance.

I was right.
 11/13/2017 08:34 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Americans sit around complaining, meanwhile, the rest of the world has national health systems for all citizens.

2% annual in Aus. You'll wait for a knee replacement, but go straight to the cathlab for chest pain. Cost? $0.00.

BTW, they call the Aussie system Medicare. Hint.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 11/15/2017 09:04 PM

Cole

If Republicans pass the tax bill that kills the mandate, the individual market is going to blow. Get in now, at least you'll be protected for a year.

I was right.
FORUMS : NPNR : Next Years health insurance premiums gone up?

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .