Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Storm surge into the Indian River Lagoon------good or bad?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/08/2017 08:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/08/2017 08:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

If Irma plays out as forecast we should get a 2-6 ft storm surge over the barrier islands all along the IRL. Is this good or bad. Will the surge just push more shit fertilizer and trash into the lagoon or will it be a refreshing douche that leaves the lagoon with that "fresh all-over feeling"?

I know the river looks much nicer down by Sebastian Inlet due to the tidal action...

I also wonder if it will punch through the barrier island just north of PAFB. Time will tell...
 09/09/2017 06:14 AM

JBSURF

Joined Forum: 10/11/2004

This is from a former Cocoa Beach employee.
Don't want to unnecessarily alarm anyone but ... When I worked for the city of CB I used to attend the annual Governor's Hurricane Conference. One of the sessions I attended dealt with worst case scenarios for Florida. One involved a CAT 4 or 5 coming up the spine of the peninsula. The counterclockwise spin of the storm would result in the Brevard's approaching wind from the south instead of the north winds that we encounter when eye is offshore. A south wind of force would push the surface water of Indian River Lagoon northward until it had no place to go and spills over its banks resulting in mass flooding. Just FYI ..

Meaning it may work both ways this time...

-------------------------
I've decided to accept the fact - I'll always be a big kid!
 09/09/2017 02:13 PM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

This is going to be a very wet storm from the rain standpoint. East side of circulation is wetter and it is also interacting with the stalled front which will enhance rain for the entire peninsula. Totals will exceed 10" in most locations. That generally creates a huge pulse of nutrients into the lagoon. 

-------------------------

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .