Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Cocoa Beach-Flood insurance or not?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/03/2017 09:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/03/2017 09:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

Flood insurance or not?
I am rebuilding my house in Cocoa Beach which is ~1600 feet/4 blocks from the ocean on a canal in Cocoa Beach off Minuteman Cswy. Per the FEMA flood zone map (FEMA map of my location The property is listed as flood zone X (0.2 PCT Annual chance flood hazard). My new mortgage does not require flood insurance but after watching the shit-storm in Texas where only 1 in 5 people had flood insurance I started thinking it might be a good idea to purchase the insurance. The estimated cost is $650/year.
I'm curious what others think.....save the $650 and by a new board or play it safe and get the insurance.
 09/03/2017 11:43 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I followed the mapping around.  In the Cocoa Beach area, the known beach washover area at the north end of Patrick is shown.  With the Banana River, I know some studies have been made of how its shallow water can slosh around in wind.  

In Vero Beach, the mapping is two years older and I think new maps will be adopted soon, but it catches real problem areas, the ones that flooded in Frances/Jeanne and assorted downpours.  Including big swaths of John's Island and almost all of Grand Harbor and Windsor.  Much better to have a vintage terrazo-floor house in Satellite Beach.

I live on high ground but near a big drainage canal that has never caused problems, but it can allow storm surge to come in, and its drainage area has become developed.  Like shopping mall parking lots.  I worry about it, so cough up the premium.  

09/04/2017 02:40 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

We pay. I know people MS who had hurricane but not flood and got screwed.

Water from the top, hurricane.

Water from below, flood, even if a hurricane caused the flooding. 

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 09/04/2017 03:00 AM

SunriseSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Had flood ins (required) when I lived in Satellite for years.
Kept the ins when it was no longer required.
Never had to use it thank goodness.

But... I had to much invested not to have it.
Certainly wouldn't have wanted to lose everything and not have it.

Just consider it maintenance costs, and peace of mind.

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 09/04/2017 04:39 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

If it's only a little water, , , , crash a tree branch through a window, , , , ! Wind Blown!.

Dora Hates You
 09/04/2017 03:51 PM

Cole

Originally posted by: dingpatch

If it's only a little water, , , , crash a tree branch through a window, , , , ! Wind Blown!.

Why can I picture you in a yellow slicker chucking a branch thru a window?

What does flood cover? If it's a tidal surge and the house is mostly destroyed, does that count as flood?

Actually, let me ask this: Other than fire, what does home insurance cover? I've read my policy and it seems like nothing is covered without extra insurance.

I was right.
 09/04/2017 05:27 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

tom

Yes, surge is flood.

It's not hurricane insurance,

It's "windstorm".

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 09/05/2017 04:13 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I learned that one in Risk/Insurance 101 at FSU.

So, on the barrier island, , , , tidal surge that levels your house is "Flood". At that point, the insurance companies would tell you that the hurricane force winds were "only interesting". You could argue in court, for years, trying to prove that there might have been a little bit of wind too.

Dora Hates You
 09/05/2017 09:09 AM

Greensleeves

Yes the case law out of Katrina taught many lessons.

https://www.law360.com/articles/469118/hurricane-katrina-s-mark-on-coverage-law-felt-8-years-later  

If you can afford it, it is a wise choice in places like Cocoa Beach.

The flood insurance program comes up for renewal in Congress soon so the topic may be moot.

09/05/2017 09:43 AM

bus

Joined Forum: 10/01/2007

may have to wait anyway. Is it too close to Irma's potential landfall? Will any underwriters write the policy with the possible events that might unfold?

09/05/2017 10:58 AM

TONYlookaround

Joined Forum: 08/29/2004

30 day wait to take effect.  not in time for anything out there now.  I did the online form and their card processing was down back in June.    The fact I think is -- take your expensive stuff with you.  regardless, they cut the check if the house is empty or full -- but require receipts for everything they pay on if not a total writeoff. scam.  

personally, I think it's needed more if you live inland around retention ponds than on the barrier side (except in middle where some homes not put on a 5'pad).  get out and drive around in car or bike soon after the storm and look hard where the flooding is.  If you have cypress trees near your home or neighborhood - buy flood insurance period becuase its a naturally high water table area and natually thrive there - learned that years going 4wd in the FL  swamps with a roofline snorkel.   

it's never too late to have a happy childhood...

09/05/2017 01:12 PM

cubanrefugee123

Joined Forum: 02/10/2006

If it touches the ground before entering a dwelling, it is considered flood and will be denied by your homeowners insurance. You can purchase a sewer and backup rider that usually covers up to 10k only if you first saw the water enter dwelling through a drain or toilet. If you have that rider on your policy, when asked where did you first see the water, better believe the ten thousand dollar answer is overflowing from toilet/coming out of shower drain. After Katrina and many still pending lawsuits, your insurance Co will play dumb with you. Wind driven rain also covered loss.

I was a Catastrophic field rep for one of the largest insurance companies 2 years. PM if you want more info. Good luck all!
 09/05/2017 01:21 PM

GreenLantern

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

edit

delete
asked and answered

Edited: 09/05/2017 at 01:37 PM by GreenLantern
 09/05/2017 03:07 PM

scostuart

Joined Forum: 12/28/2007

2008 tropical storm Fay came across central Fl..never made hurricane status. Took 4 days to cross the state.... I had $15k damage due to flooding.

I live in Viera.

I have USAA hurricane and bought flood insurance for my home. I do NOT live in a flood zone and it cost $250/ yr for a separate flood insurance policy in addition to my hurricane policy.

USAA said because Fay never became a hurricane.... my hurricane policy did not cover it... but my separate flood insurance policy did!

Waiting for waves is ok......most people spend their lives waiting for nothing.

09/06/2017 12:39 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

I was once told that if the roof or windows were blown out, it wasn't flood but windstorm as ding posted.
(I have a huge deductible on that, but at least it's covered some).
true or BS?
How much are the detectables on that $250 flood insurance anyway?

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 09/06/2017 01:32 PM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: WG I was once told that if the roof or windows were blown out, it wasn't flood but windstorm as ding posted. (I have a huge deductible on that, but at least it's covered some). true or BS? How much are the detectables on that $250 flood insurance anyway?

Generally true, but depends on the specific wording of your policy. The premium you pay doesn't determine the deductible, though the deductible will have an effect on the premium.

I :heart; Q
 09/06/2017 05:45 PM

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

OMG a cubanrefugee123 sighting!

09/07/2017 01:29 PM

Cole

I pay three grand a year for a plan that requires me to get flood, wind storm and sewage reversal, what ever that is, at an additional cost.

Ain't that great!

I was right.
 09/07/2017 08:09 PM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

Cole, talking to Kaboord at Brevard insurance I was told "This location is eligible for a Preferred flood policy which automatically includes Contents coverage. A Regular flood policy does not have Contents coverage and the premium 1600/year but the preferred policy is only $650. ....go figure.....I would have your insurance agent see if he can re-look at your location and see if you can lower your rate.
 09/07/2017 08:23 PM

Cole

Originally posted by: RocketSurf

Cole, talking to Kaboord at Brevard insurance I was told "This location is eligible for a Preferred flood policy which automatically includes Contents coverage. A Regular flood policy does not have Contents coverage and the premium 1600/year but the preferred policy is only $650. ....go figure.....I would have your insurance agent see if he can re-look at your location and see if you can lower your rate.

Will do, thanks for the heads up.

I was right.
FORUMS : NPNR : Cocoa Beach-Flood insurance or not?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .