Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Facebook scam got mom
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/25/2017 10:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/25/2017 10:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Her story is that she clicked a Neil Young video and that's when the fake Microsoft alerts popped up. Evil bastards! She called the number and they got her to give up bank info over the phone. Luckily, she called me shortly after and we closed her accounts.

Sounds like she may have given them access to her computer first.

Any tips on how to secure the computer are appreciated, and or how to find these fookers.
 08/25/2017 12:05 PM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

That sucks! Hope you get everything straightened out. I had a similar incident with my mom last year. She fell for some email scam and gave out her info. It was an effing nightmare, but the bank helped us get her info secured.

-------------------------
Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 08/25/2017 04:13 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

We rebuilt my father's computer from ground up, gave him no permissions, and put a note on the computer and by the phone with instructions on what not to do.  

08/26/2017 05:16 AM

LagoonSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/06/2009

I am more and more convinced that it is better for the older gen, the innocent, and the computer illiterate to just have iPads. If they need a bigger screen, just spring (or have them spring) for the iPad Pro. Then all you have to do is convince them that the 'click OK' button is a sham and just close the tab. Far fewer headaches and no need to secure the computer. I can say that about a Mac too, and it's true, but the iPad is the most secure trouble-free computer out there.

I don't mean to sound like an apple salesman or apple fanatic. But I know of what I speak. I work with developmentally disabled folks. They do very well with iPads. They just work and are impossible to foul up.

None of this solves the giving-up bank info, of course, but it would wrap the computer problem and they last for years (way longer than you want them to because you want a new one but have no reason to get one because the one you have is still fine).

-------------------------
Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these fits?

Hey. Where are we going? (And what are we doing in a hand-basket?)
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .