Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Alternative to Amerigas?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/24/2017 04:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/24/2017 04:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

My inground spa uses a gas heater. Wish I had gone with electric when it was built, but the pool compnay talked me into it (dont do it)

So after many years, LP gas is now coming from Amerigas and their prices are INSANE.

Gotten so bad I'm ready to switch to almost anybody and have them come remove the tank.

Anybody have a local gas source other than Amerigas that delivers to an inground tank?

07/24/2017 07:32 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

How insane is your price?

I have Suburban Propane, and a 500 gallon underground tank. Heard annoying things about Suburban, but more about AmeriGas. If you bought the tank, you can get it refilled by anyone. Since I'm leasing mine from Suburban, I can only get it refilled by Suburban.

Their first-year price (2015) was good: Low-mid $2.xx range. They told me (before I signed the contract) that propane prices typically track the price of regular gasoline per gallon.

At 2016 refill, it came in near or over $5/gallon! I did an internet search of propane prices nationally, and sure enough, the values were all near regular gasoline (upper $2.xx). So I called, complained, and showed them the data.

The gave me a big BS story about how it costs so much more to ship propane to FL, and a chunk of the price was delivery charge to my house, not shown in the internet prices. (I don't recall if that part was true or not.)

But after the complaint, they gave me a credit that back the price to somewhere in the low $4.xx range. Still left me feeling rather violated.
 07/25/2017 05:51 PM

paddleout

$5.79 per gallon at Amerigas

No way I'm paying that!
 07/27/2017 07:32 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

There should be a conversion kit or someone who can convert it to electric (if you are going to be staying in your house for a while), The "guts" of an electric one is pretty simple, swapped out a control board and Ozone system on mine w/o any issues. just voltmeter and basic tools.

I keep mine at 104 degrees 24 hours a day, my guess it adds about $40 to the electric bill.  How many gallons of propane do you go through in a month?  Electric heating does take a long time to warm up, guess propane is more instant/quick heat-up.

07/27/2017 12:25 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

All you need is a method of collecting all the "gas" from NSR.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 07/27/2017 01:14 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Hot air doesn't really contain much energy, ding.

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 07/27/2017 05:23 PM

paddleout

I hear you SurferMic- wish I could do that w/o a huge hassle.

But the problem is the pool's design. The spa has a spillover to the main pool. When the filter pump is on, it pulls from the deep end and returns to the spa, which then spills over into the main pool.

And there goes your hot water.

It's the most wasteful design I've ever seen.. but the pool companies push for this.

Gas has gotten so expensive that I'm considering doing a total rework- adding a filter return in the main pool and a seperate setup for the spa, and then using electric.

Wish i had my spa on 24/7 - that would be great.

Is yours an inground, or a standalone spa? Do you use a heat cover?

re: usage- we go through a tank in about 3-4 months. At these prices thats $600 every 3-4 months :/
 07/27/2017 06:58 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

What about a diesel/kerosene based system?

Heck, with gasoline cheap, I'd buy a rebuilt small-block chevy engine and cycle the water through it. Between the engine block and exhaust manifold, you could recover a ton of heat, and the engine would barely be idling.

You could even run some pumps and jets off of it!

FWIW, I used to have a big pool with an electric heat pump. It rusted out twice in 7 years (beachside) and I couldn't afford the electricity for it. Different story for a spa though.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .