Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: digging gold with spacebars
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/17/2017 10:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/17/2017 10:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

David Robinson used the data from the 28,657 people who self-selected to take the Stack Overflow survey to investigate the relationship between programmer pay and the conventions of using either tabs or spaces to mark indents, and found a persistent, significant correlation between using spaces and bringing home higher pay.

http://boingboing.net

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 06/17/2017 12:32 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Interesting. I wonder how many of the space-bar users are paid hourly, and get paid extra money wearing out their space bar when a simple tab would do.

Slightly guilty of that here, although our corporate coding style bans tabs anyway.

I like how tabs make parsing for pretty printers and other utilities so much easier, and resetting a tab to new sizes on the fly.

I find it convenient to use spaces when you specifically want more separation, but still have a fondness for tabs as the leftmost line indenters.

Tabs might not be so bad if they were a unique, but unobtrusive printable character. And they can be, on screen with any editor more modern than vi, but that pretty much sets the bar for where standards are born.

Maybe editors could adapt to a more modern standard, with the default being tabs for indent and space for everything after the first non-tab character.

On a print-out, nobody "chars" (accidentally punned that as I meant to say "cares").

06/17/2017 01:15 PM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Tabs send spaces in my IDE and can be set to whatever space number you choose. Pointless.
 06/17/2017 02:03 PM

miker

To be fair I used spaces before more modern IDEs made the entire topic pointless. I think this results of this probably reflect experience. Those of us who remember the days when it mattered and/or are stuck in old habits have been around the block and therefore are probably making more money.
 06/17/2017 02:06 PM

miker

Also... lol at banning tabs. I do set the space count though for tabs so all indents are the same for my whole team. Without that, the OCD tendency for most developers kicks in and results in a whole hell of a lot of wasted time in formatting wars.
 06/17/2017 02:46 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

In my case, code doesn't live and die within one IDE. It has to be compatible with at least 4 different tools that parse it in a mostly script-driven flow, and sometimes tabs pass hiccups downstream into one tool or another for various reasons.

Unix makefiles are notorious tab requirers.

Some googling turned up one editor with a default of replacing tabs with spaces, but lets you hit Ctrl-Tab if you really want to insert a tab char.

Tool incompatibilities aside, I'd still prefer tabs on the LHS side, spaces everywhere else.
 06/18/2017 08:35 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

One thing I didn't see is any attempt to correlate for age/experience.I'm guessing older programmers who have worked before all these great IDEs internalized using spaces, and we do demand higher salaries.

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .