Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surf Wagon
Topic Summary: obsolete parts needed
Created On: 03/07/2017 07:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/07/2017 07:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

I got this surfing wagon and I can't find the parts. It's a 1991 Ford e350 7.5L gas engine. I called the dealership and they no longer make or carry parts for it. Any ideas of where I can find a few things for it? (I already tried Ebay)

03/07/2017 07:35 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

you don't say what parts you're looking for 

but I use Summit for stuff on my '92 chevy

some parts it's just not possible

I can't get an antilock brake module for example

https://www.summitracing.com/search/make/ford/engine-size/7-5l-460

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 03/07/2017 09:04 AM

Cuz

Joined Forum: 04/25/2010

i looked it up on rockauto.com . Theres some parts on there for it. give it a look.
 03/07/2017 09:43 AM

GreenLantern

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

what parts?

link
 03/07/2017 10:40 AM

Mr. Long

Joined Forum: 12/17/2006

You can also find parts through the junkyard network: Car-Part.com

Little Penquin: A winner is someone who doesn't knock me off my surfboard; Tank's definitely not a winner.

Little Penquin: He's a dirty trash can full of poop.

--Surf's Up
 03/07/2017 01:04 PM

Sector9surf

Engine oil dipstick for a 7.5L and a power window and door lock assembly are the first two things. (Plenty of parts for the smaller e350 engines, but this is a 7.5L gas). It needs a new interior also so I'm in search of a few of the RV related parts such as the bench seats which fold down, but those are things which I may rebuild custom anyways. 

I will take a look at the recommendations and see what I can find. Thanks!

03/07/2017 03:13 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Always check LKQ
 03/08/2017 04:57 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

3D print em.

03/08/2017 06:32 AM

tom

dipstick should be easy to junkyard - if not,

you can make one from a longer one, like an ATF one.  

Just do an oil change, then measure, mark the longer one at the right spot,

then cut it off to get the right length.

Window and lock units should be the same/similar for all E vans that year.  

03/12/2017 10:31 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

another vote for rockauto.com

03/13/2017 02:43 PM

Sector9surf

So i went ahead and looked it up on the used/salvage auto-parts search and started calling around. After about 2hrs of searching I found out two things:

the FL autosalvage yards which I called either had it and didn't want to sell it alone, didn't have it at all or couldn't tell me what engine size they had in their yard, or suggested I go to the dealer or Autozone. (I just can't believe, I didn't think of that?! lol)... It's amazing who you get on the phone at a salvage yard... One guy told me he definitely had the part, and when I mentioned shipping said they no longer had it.

Anyways, I'm still searching, but the out of state salvage yards, which are on the car-part.com website are much more helpful than the you-pull-it ones in Orlando. The other FL and local salvage yards didn't have much insight either.

Edited: 03/13/2017 at 03:03 PM by Sector9surf
 03/13/2017 03:43 PM

peterg

Joined Forum: 10/12/2006

auto zone shows 19 dipsticks. shows doorlocks with keys. need to be more specific than power window "assembly" to search out parts. maybe u should just drive it to a shop and have a pro do the work.
 03/13/2017 06:03 PM

Sector9surf

^If you know a shop or pro that can make obsolete parts magically appear. I'm all for it.

By the time you add in all electrical troubleshooting and interior rebuild, it'd probably cost me double it's value. But the good news is I bought it to work on myself. (I've already replaced the all 4 shocks, waterpump, powersteering pump, thermostat, and I'm getting ready to do the brakes.)

More good news is I that I finally found out what length dipstick I need. It's 34.25" in length so if I need to I can make one or at least have a spec to go by. Ironically I called the dealership to find this info. and they couldn't tell me. (I  had to find it online and I found 1 single post on a forum from way back.)

Anything from the Ford e350, 1983-91 years should fit. (Most of the parts websites out there including the dipsticks on Summitracing, etc... say they fit on the website, but are actually for the F-series or aren't the same when you call to confirm the fit. (I already made the mistake of ordering one that is for an "7.5L engine" because the website said it fits, later to find out its for the 7.5L F350 which is a bit different) .Surprisingly dipsticks are not universal! Maybe the 92-2002 Fords will be same?

Anyways, as you can probably tell I've spent way to much free time searching for parts now which SHOULD be easy to find.

As far as the power window assembly, its a plastic housing which includes the power buttons for the windows and door locks(for both front doors). It'd be great if I could reuse what I have, but the original ones are corroded to the point where the original wires don't have a place to be re-soldered or attached to and so probably not repairable. Two of the buttons are also missing.

Edited: 03/13/2017 at 06:23 PM by Sector9surf
 03/13/2017 06:14 PM

Sector9surf

Originally posted by: tom dipstick should be easy to junkyard - if not,

you can make one from a longer one, like an ATF one.  

Just do an oil change, then measure, mark the longer one at the right spot,

then cut it off to get the right length.

Window and lock units should be the same/similar for all E vans that year.  

Great idea on taking a longer ATF dipstick! I've been using the car-parts.com website to track down junkyard e350's...the problem I'm finding is that most of them don't inventory those kind of miscellaneous items. Under part classifications, the best luck I've had is to look up e350 engine blocks or cores and call hoping they'd be helpful enough to take a look.

I'm not really sure what to classify the door buttons under, but I've yet to find any of those in a salvage inventory. (Maybe under electrical? but none found on the search) I'm assuming they just don't bother to inventory those.

03/14/2017 05:30 AM

tom

My experience with junkyards is that if you call them about a specific vehicle

they can tell you if they have it or not.

If you show up, they may or may not let you look at it.

If they let you look at it, you can get the small parts you need.

Sometimes cash, no receipt.  

03/14/2017 05:39 AM

Zeus

Have you tried JC Whitney, Dorman or Partsgeek?  You may be wasting your time using their web catalogs too.  Try calling them.  That's especially true for JC Whitney.

03/14/2017 08:03 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

I got a window assembly from the Melbourne LKQ for my Corolla about 10 years ago. Not sure if they still do piddly stuff like that, but worth a check if you haven't already.

As far as parts go, it might save you time and break even on money to just buy an additional vehicle and scavenge what you need. I sold my old Datsun B-210 for $100 to a guy who only needed the door, but was thrilled to have all the extra parts.

BTW, not sure if you did some dyslexic reading or typing there. A 5.7L engine is the metric equivalent of a 350 ci; 7.5L comes out to about 457 ci; Ford made both 454 and 460 ci engines, so be careful to not get the numbers backward.
 03/14/2017 10:07 AM

Sector9surf

Thanks guys,

I called LKQ and they have the car but couldn't tell me the engine size and said I'd have to show up to find out.

I finally tracked one down for $35 including shipping from Schriever auto somewhere on the west coast. I was told (by the parts dept. at Schreiver salvage/ used auto) that as far as oil dipsticks years 90-96 were still the same. I'd imagine then that the only thing which was changed was the body style, but I can't verify this as the dealer will only tell me the part number and no specs.

For the other parts, looks like it's time to go junkyard hunting...

FORUMS : NPNR : Surf Wagon

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .