Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Camera Guys Please help
Topic Summary: want new camera for daily use.
Created On: 11/22/2016 01:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/22/2016 01:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cuz

Joined Forum: 04/25/2010

My wife and I are looking for a new camera to use on a regular basis. We travel often and want to document our adventures on something better than an I phone.

I spent a couple hours looking around online and there are just too many options to choose from.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
 11/22/2016 04:07 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Hard to go wrong with a DSLR from Nikon or Canon. Even their starter-level cams produce some incredible shots. Depends on whether or not you want the big-body format of an SLR though. If you haven't already checked/posted in the Nice Shot photography forum, you should. Lots more expertise there!
http://www.2ndlight.com/fuseta...tegories.cfm?catid=11
 11/22/2016 07:00 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Well, , , , first off, , , , getting a DSLR is like getting your first board to learn to surf on. Ya, you'd probably be "happy" with a new $1000 Firewire (Canon or Nikon). But, get a beater to learn on. Well, at least don't spend a lot of money on a camera body until you figure out what you really like about the various capabilities and features of a DSLR, or how you are likely to use it the most. So, and well, at that, you would probably do well to get a mid-level supper zoom point-and-shoot to start with.

In any case, start here to get an idea of all the "new" features and cameras, and good reviews so that you can make an informed decision (DPREVIEW is a top notch site): dpreview

Then go to B&H and Adorama to see what they have to offer as "used".

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 11/22/2016 07:47 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

iPhone is eating camera makers' lunches.  Presumably higher-end Canon and Nikon cameras will continue to be made (the sort you see at football games and at beaches when there's a great swell).  But smartphones have replaced the mass market snapshot cameras of a few years ago.  Smartphone makers also have lots of money for research & development.  Camera makers don't.   

The Nice Shot forum shows off good work.  You can see what DSLRs (high end ones) can do at sites like OBXsurfinfo,  or Facebook postings by any number of photographers.  I like Mac Stone (mostly wildlife) Chris Burkard (landscapes, often with people surfing, slacklining, climbing, whatever), John Sandford, and of course Clark Little with his crunchy waves.  

One thing to consider is whether you like video screens or viewfinders.      

For mirrorless cameras, look at Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus.  I don't know if any of them is making money on cameras (they have other profit centers).  Sony seems to be cramming big sensors into small boxes.  Sony and Olympus collarborate to some extent (Sony makes the sensor for Olympus's latest camera).  Panasonic and Olympus share the same lens mount, so you can to some extent mix cameras and lenses from their systems.  But Panasonic (like Canon and Nikon) has opted to put image stabilization into its lenses, while Olympus prefers to do it in the camera body.  Except that now, they're both starting to change, putting image stabilization into both camera body and lens.

This image was the result of equipment luck.  I'd bought an obsolete lens, cheap, that fit on my camera with an adapter but didn't do autofocus very well.  The camera manufacturer introduced a new camera that dealt with the problem, picking between two autofocus systems, depending on lens.   So I got the new body, and this was the first time I took it and the lens to the beach.  Slick autofocus. 

s

11/22/2016 10:29 PM

dropsolo

Good question.

Depending on what you want to do. Dslr takes the best photos but offers no ease of carrying. No matter where you go you're going to look like a doofy tourist with it. But as you can see. If you're going on surf trip. It is by far the best way to have your wife document the surf.

An underrated camera for other things other than surf and adventure is the GoPro. I use it in all kinds of situations other than surf and snowboarding. It's one fault is indoor low lighting. But with all the filters today. Sometimes you can ever get around that. Consider getting the GoPro 4. The 5 is all one case and it you scratch the lens. That's it! Vs with the 4. If you scratch the case. You buy a new case, camera is still good. Things I've enjoyed GoPro for : kids/baby photos, golfing, college football games, (yeah mostly outdoor stuff). I took it once to a concert and was very disappointed in it. But I may have had the settings wrong.

The mirror less cameras have come a long way! And take really good photos and are easier to carry than dslrs.

Just what ever you do. Do not just get a point and shoot "canon powershot" level camera. If you do that. Just use your smartphone.

Good luck

I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks
 11/25/2016 11:01 AM

ww

KEH is also an excellent used equipment dealer.  I have a small pile of lenses from them.  Be careful to compare prices before buying.

Nikon has good Black Friday specials.

11/25/2016 11:36 AM

MikeFriday

Joined Forum: 11/25/2016

The inexpensive Canon dslr with the two lens kit is always a great way to go. It will come with an 18-55 zoom and a 55-250 zoom. The current models are the T6 and the T6i.   It will easily cover the whole zoom range from wide angle to telephoto.  Start on all automatic settings with live view. it will work just like a point and shoot and get great results in fair to good light. 

Then, if you shoot action (surfing, sports, any kid) then let the camera pick your iso and then go to TV and set it at about 1/400 or higher.  

As you improve you'll go more and more manual. Remember to never use flash when shooting through any kind of window, but don't be afraid to use the flash in the daylight. 

If you need a more compact system try the Canon EOS-M3 with the 18-55 and the 55-200 lenses. they will also be bundled as a kit.  

Nikons are excellent, but not my cup of tea. I had a good one and it was great, butnI'm usd to Canon so I stick with it.  

Www.CanonPriceWatch.com to find the best deals on Canon.   

I just found a time machine. See you in the future.  

Edited: 11/25/2016 at 11:45 AM by MikeFriday
 11/25/2016 01:35 PM

Cuz

Joined Forum: 04/25/2010

Thanks everyone for your knowledge. Ill do my research for sure.

I will probably lean towards canon as my last point and shoot was a canon.

Thanks again.
 11/25/2016 08:54 PM

ww

Canon deals.  I recently spent a week and a half with a guy who, back in film days, had done long-exposure landscape photos with a view camera (4x5 inch film).  Made a living doing it.  He's been a happy Canon user for at least a decade.  

11/28/2016 02:51 PM

purefunk

Joined Forum: 09/11/2003

Canon Eos rebel is a a good starter and fits all cannon lenses that you can keep when you upgrade housing. IMHO

I've owned Nikon and Canon. You really can'tgo wrong.  Just dont spend a buttload of money.  You dont need to.  The difference from Iphone will be night and day.

If you want to hit a home run, you have to swing the bat.

11/29/2016 06:26 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Camera know nothing here (at least since film disappeared).  If you don't want to get all DSLR,

I saw this Nikon point and shoot advertized in Nat'l Geo.  83x optical zoom(?!).

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-p900.html

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 11/30/2016 04:32 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

I have been taking some amazing pictures with my iPhone 7 and the Microsoft Pix app. The app uses machine learning and input from millions of global data points to adjust your phone camera on the fly based on the subject of your picture to not only ensure the best picture possible but also takes a burst of shots and chooses the best one for you, which you can then compare to the original. I have taken hundreds, maybe thousands, of shots with this thing and have only chosen my original shot twice. It is a brilliant app and will only improve as more people use it because it will continue to get smarter.... kind of a quasi AI

11/30/2016 04:35 AM

miker

Also, if you really need lenses, they are making some pretty amazing snap-in/on lenses for your phone. Couple that with Pix and you will have about the best combination of easy and quality available.

11/30/2016 06:11 AM

dingpatch

Yes, the iPhone really is a good camera. Some years ago, an interviewer asked Annie Leibovitz to recommend a small carry-around camera, expecting a Canon/Nikon/Panasonic answer. Annie's answer was ", , , , get an iPhone, , , ,".

Now, sure, when a surfer talks about a camera, we can only image that they are, in the end, looking for something with a lot more "reach" than an iPhone.

Having said that, , , , ,

A DSLR is a good choice if you are really going to use it "daily". The confining thing about a DSLR is that it does require a "gadget bag" to carry all your glass around. Well, sure, there are a lot of very versatile singular lenses that will meet "most" of your daily needs. BUT, then again, what about "reach"?

If you really do plan on getting into photos with both feet, get a good DSLR and budget a load of cash for glass. Otherwise, a super zoom point-and-shoot will more than adequately meet your needs/wants. Sure, you may still carry a "bag", but it won't contain $3000 worth of glass.

If you do want to go Whole Hog, get a Cooperfish DSLR. If not, get a Neilson point and shoot.

Dora Hates You
 11/30/2016 07:02 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Nikon D3300 with two lens kit. Done and done.

“It is the heart of US policy to use fascism to preserve capitalism while claiming to be saving democracy from communism “ - Michael Parenti
 11/30/2016 10:50 AM

miker

Link i said dingpatch, they make snap in/on lenses for them that are quite good.

Really really good combined with Pix

11/30/2016 03:57 PM

dingpatch

A "snap on" 600mm?

Dora Hates You
 11/30/2016 04:43 PM

miker

Isn't a 600 generally overkill for most things? Especially documenting travels?

11/30/2016 06:49 PM

dingpatch

My old Panasonic FZ20 superzoom shooting at 420mm 35mm equiv. Maui

Panasonic FZ30 shooting at 668mm with 1.7 tele adapter equiv to 1135mm. Hanalei Bay, Kauai. Taken from Pine Trees, SUP is 1 mile away.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 12/01/2016 at 05:58 AM by dingpatch
 11/30/2016 09:10 PM

miker

nice

FORUMS : NPNR : Camera Guys Please help

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .