Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ROOFING QUESTION: Metal vs shingle
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/15/2016 07:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/15/2016 07:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

My shingle roof is now about 13 years old.

It is "architectural" asphalt shingle.

I'm figuring any year now, my homeowner's insurance will tell me I need to get a new roof. ..and I'm sure they will give me plenty of time to get it done (yeah sure)

so I'm starting the mulling process now- more shingles or metal?

Wondering what the cost differences really are these days, and maybe any other things to consider.

I have a pretty simple roof, not alot of angles- high pitch, no gable on the sides.

If I go with metal, I would use the natural silver color, as my neighbor got a painted metal, and it can scratch- and the touchup paint doesnt really look right.

Any info?
 02/15/2016 08:18 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

I just reroofed after 20 yrs.
Chose shingles because I have too many trees close to the house that drop stuff on it, and I believed that metal would show the dents.

-------------------------
"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 02/16/2016 03:15 AM

Burry

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

We went with metal 10 yrs ago...had a insulating layer put down first then the Metal roof...
we can now walk around in our attic in the middle of summer...it's still hot!!! but...

Really like it!
Cost was more than shingles but we do save money on insurance! Not sure any more compared to shingles!

BurrysBreak

Inflation caused The BIG BANG...look it up!
 02/16/2016 05:36 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Metal.  It was after a shingle roof had begun to fail 10 years after installation.  

Apparently there's been improvements in shingles over the past few years, and metal does have corrosion problems at oceanfront.

02/16/2016 09:08 AM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

You can get exposed fastener metal (5v-crimp) in galvalume (no paint) for nearly the same price as shingle.
Some roofers might be charging more for shingles at this point.

If you do exposed fasteners beachside, pay attention to materials,
and might have to replace fasteners 10 years down the road anyway.

You can do aluminum if you have the $.

I did a lot of roofer shopping, best estimates for my 2,000 ft2 hip roof with gable ends was 7k for shingle and 9.5k for 5v crimp.

I'm going to install standing seam metal myself, no exposed fasteners, <7k in materials.
 02/16/2016 06:13 PM

paddleout

thanks guys.

I do like the attic cooling ability of metal- but the savings are probably a wash with the increased cost.. or at least close.

I do remember seeing some metal roofs that peeled up quite a bit during the '04 hurricanes- so damage is still possible.. but its the underlayment that is really your roof anyway.

A nice thing about shingles is that you can furring strip a tarp over it and/or do temp repairs quickly/easily if we have a hurricane.. so I'm kinda leaning that way.. but it does suck to have to replace again in 15 years or so.

How about ridge vents? mine is a lame aluminum thing held on by roofing nails. Has there been any new developments in that area? Seems like we could use a better system to vent the hot air out of the attics here.. in Arizona everyone has those silver spinning things that blow in the wind to let out heat. wouldnt work out here with the hurricanes, but seems like maybe some kind of (possibly solar) venting fan would be helpful..
 02/17/2016 06:25 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Good topic. I have a 13 year old roof with spinny vents. I need to reconfigure my vents and figure out what material to use for re-roof.

02/17/2016 07:19 AM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

As for ridge vents, I've had good luck with the GAF Cobra 3 type shingle over vents.  There are several manufacturers making a similar product, so you can shop around.  The ones I used were not the GAF brand, but I can't remember what the brand was offhand.  

On one roof I have the expanded plastice that looks like a giant scotchbrite pad (original Cobra), and they are great at keeping bugs and rain out...but suck at allowing air flow.    I intend to replace those sometime before summer. 

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 02/17/2016 08:38 AM

3rdworldlover

Can do a continuous ridge vent with the metal roof.
Also, the standing seam metal panels are wrapped around the drip edge, so wind doesn't get under those.
The 5v crimp is installed with an overhang, which seems like a bad design for wind to me.
I haven't compared uplift ratings between the two types.
 02/17/2016 10:00 AM

Zeus

A dutch standing seam with 3/4" purlins and EPS insulation can't be beat.  The material costs a bit more but is a fairly easy DIY job, and realistically its rated for 50 years.  When shelling out big you just have to remeber you get what you pay for.  Compare the cost of two 30 year shingle roofs to one metal roof and its a no brainer.

02/17/2016 02:27 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

My last serious discussion about roofs was with an extension guy for North Carolina's sea grant program.  For the Outer Banks, he was happy with wood construction (they are low risk for cat. 5) and shingles, dubious of metal.  Of course that's a different environment.  Lots and lots of salt spray, and of course you have to assume that beachfront houses aren't permanent.

Even around here, salt spray environments seem to vary.  I suspect that Indian River County's wave-busting reefs make for less spray, more live oak hammocks.

02/18/2016 04:40 PM

Fred32176

Joined Forum: 01/22/2016

I'm planning on an aluminum roof as our next roof. The companies I've talked to said we are too close to salt water for a steel roof and within 1km of saltwater you can only get aluminum. You also need to check the profile/joiners are rated for your wind zone. GulfCoast Supply has an aluminum roof with a 25 year 'OceanGuard' saltwater warranty, although I haven't seen what the warranty does for you.

02/22/2016 01:04 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Pull up to Watson's and look at the roof on the park structures, may think twice if you are considering metal.  Also used to be a yellow house on A1a 1-2 miles south of Paridise Bch Park, was all metal, it ruste3 away to the point they ripped off all metal (includihng roof) and re-doing it with stucco, shingles.  When it was metal they owners werer always painting repairing rust.

NOw if you are new building or could re-do you structure somehow a former co-worker had a cement roof engineereed, that was cool, not sure how he did it but it looked like it could go through a CAT 5 and needed no maint.

02/22/2016 08:16 PM

paddleout

When you say "metal" are you referring to aluminum?

Im too close to the beach to go with anything other than aluminum
 02/23/2016 05:26 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

What about phone reception in your house?

02/24/2016 01:57 PM

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

How loud are metal roofs in a rain storm???

It may sound like your on vacation??

02/24/2016 05:13 PM

paddleout

I've now been noticing rust on the edges of house directly on the beach or just across the street. Never noticed that before- I assume those are aluminum (?)

It doesnt look good- I'm leaning towards shingles now..
 02/24/2016 05:15 PM

paddleout

These are pretty cool-

Dow Powerhouse Solar Shingles

02/24/2016 06:23 PM

Burry

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Metal roof = very very quiet...only can tell if it's raining through the sky lights.

Galvanized aluminium...50 year guarantee 10+ years 3 blocks from ocean...no rust noticed!

BurrysBreak

Inflation caused The BIG BANG...look it up!
 02/25/2016 05:13 PM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Dimensional shingles timberline or Presidential

Style is what you make it!
FORUMS : NPNR : ROOFING QUESTION: Metal vs shingle

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .